• Possibly 8th

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would people be happy if we had a similar season to the Hawks last year?

7 Wins (Dogs/Pies/Roos x2/Lions/Saints/GWS/Eagles)
80.2%
5 losses 60 points or more
5 losses 20 points or under
Definitely

Beat both GF teams and probably could've won a couple more.

They were like 40 up v Richmond late in the year.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s a lot resting on Yo and Flynn as far as the midfield. If Yo can give us some midfield time without breaking down, then Ginbey has proved he’s up to maintaining a physical presence.Kelly will do what Kelly does which is work hard.Sheed will be under pressure to perform.Both Reid and Hewitt are not shy.
There is no substitute for class and talent.
It keeps coming back to staying on the park.Contrary to popular belief I believe we have a potent midfield if we can keep it intact.
My worry is defence with Gov a worry; plus a lack of speed. Burgeil and HEd could be the answer but again…. On the park.

Gameplan and intent are more important than wins or losses. Rd 1 before the injuries had me worried. Outfought and outworked by a poor North team. Players refusing to defend, Sheed and Ryan the main culprits.

All I want to see is a defensive gameplan that has a focus on teamwork and repeat efforts. Things that should of been put in place at the beginning of 2021 at the start of the rebuild. Every team that has had success recently has been built on pressure and defence.

I'm very positive mainly because of our draw although our list I think will be a lot better than last years. First month is solid, although we match up well against gws and port then our fixture gives us games against North x2, Freo x2, GC x2, Bombers x2 and games against Hawks and richmond I think we will get 7-10 wins and finish just outside the top8

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we can win up to seven. Looking at our home games we play Richmond, Essendon. St Kilda, North Melbourne and the Hawks.
I think we could at least win one against the Dockers and depending how the Suns are tracking we might sneak a win.

Love the young team they are building but i suspect we will win about 4 games this year, then retire a few more oldies at the end of the year. Introduce more youth & bring in a few more young guns. Then we could start to see some improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully when we are in a close game we get the win.

If we had won our close games last year we end up on 5 or 6 wins and it feels a bit shitter with draft picks 3 and 34.

North 3 points
Ess 1 point
up by 30+ v stk

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fixed.
Your point is still valid and Im glad we had a real crack in those games and think we can win a few of those in 2024. But falling short in them was the best thing that could have happened when you consider the rim polish Norf got from AFL house for finishing second last and the arse rogering we got for last. Imagine being that bad and missing out on both Harley and McKercher? Shudder.

I'm probably blind but can't seem to find a dedicated thread to this.

Season is a month away and we don't seem to have sustained major injuries to key personnel as of yet. Where, and more importantly why, do people see us finishing this year?

For me I just tend to think that as bad as we were the past 2 years that's in large part down to decimation by injury and transitioning the list toward more top end talent via the draft. Currently the senior players we have left on the list are for the most part both currently fit and proven at afl level. And we have replenished significant high end talent via various drafts over the past 3 seasons. Given past performance I think it's reasonable to presume that home ground advantage is a significant leg up for us in times when the club isn't absolutely terrible. I don't think we are absolutely terrible if close to fully fit, so tend to think we should have some cautious optimism- or at least not dismiss the idea out of hand- for a campaign that puts us in the mix for 8th place.

It's would seem that this is to most on here a ridiculous suggestion. And I don't particularly care if we finish last as long as we see tangible improvement of some kind. But, why is the following wrong headed?

Defence of:

Gov, Barrass- two elite key position defenders who when fit continue to show they do their jobs and influence games.

Cole, Duggan- premiership players in the prime years of their careers.

Hunt- recent recruit who almost took out our best and fairest last year.

Hough- very talented defensive prospect who looks poised to step into the void left by the retirements of Hurn and others.

That is a pretty good looking core of players in defence, with room to fill the last spot with any number of options including Harley Reid who so far at training continues to look AFL ready. And if injuries happen to the old fellas, like they did in 2015, depth in the form of Harry Edwards and Bazzo isn't necessarily as disaster.

Forward line of:

Allen, Darling- one emerging, one proven elite key position forwards. They are going kick goals at the level, and if supply is there, enough goals to go as far as we want to go.

Cripps, Ryan- proven, hard working small forward and freak of nature. Among the best in the business.

Waterman, Maric- 3rd tall options that are both more than handy, work hard, and draw their own defender.

Brockman, Long- young and talented small forwards that most on this board froth over.

There are teams who played finals last year who probably could have gone deeper if you swap out whatever they had with this forward line. Entirely serviceable.

Ruck- Flynn, Williams. Find me 8 better 1, 2 combinations who played finals last year.

Midfield consisting of:

Yeo, Kelly- literally all Australian midfielders and proven match winners.

Add to this Ginbeast, Reid, Hewitt in small amounts.

I look at all 3 lines and see talent comparable to that we had available is years where playing finals would just be considered a given, or minimum, and defy anyone to honestly say that playing that core group is incapable of winning games, or incapable of reaching the 8, in 2024.

Whether they will or not depends on many factors but can we just not pretend that that is the worst starting 18 in the competition.

Probably bottom 4. Obviously if Harley plays like N Daicos in his first year, Clay Hall is damaging, Flying Ryan comes back in and rips it up as does Hewett and Yeo and the senior group stays relatively injury free we are a chance to do better. But that's a lot of if's. More than likely we win 6 at best and are in the race for the spoon with North.

So far who does it look like we are going to compete with for the wooden spoon, cant be NM they have been given such a helping hand by the AFL. Possibly Hawthorn, but apart from Hawthorn all the other teams are a level above us at present.
I think we are in a fight with Hawthorn for the wooden spoon. If we play a game in Tassie against Hawthorn that will be the decider.

So far who does it look like we are going to compete with for the wooden spoon, cant be NM they have been given such a helping hand by the AFL. Possibly Hawthorn, but apart from Hawthorn all the other teams are a level above us at present.
I think we are in a fight with Hawthorn for the wooden spoon. If we play a game in Tassie against Hawthorn that will be the decider.
Richmond could easily fall off a cliff. So could Geelong.

Port likely to be the team for the top 4 that misses finals the next year (happens most years). Maybe Melbourne too.

Which team from outside the 8 goes into top 4 (also happens most years)? Gold Coast?

Richmond still have a number of quality players, Geelong are aging but will be around 8th position, Melbourne will thrash us. Possibly Adelaide we may beat them in perth. It really depends on the young guys, the older players have shown us nothing since the 2018 grand final.

Back