News Don Pyke appointed next CEO commencing Jan 15

Remove this Banner Ad

thanks for that UR.
Impressive interview by both Pyke & Gaines.
CEO not being on the board was a big positive, as well as hearing Pyke talk about what he can bring & Gaines presenting exactly what you want from a board leader/potential head
Still be a while until we're contending, but great signs. The ride back up is gonna be fun.
*play the interview record in reverse & Pyke says 'Just take Reid'

Must be mighty impressive cause it was a new record for me 1.5seconds before I turned it off. A welcome to country before a press conference can fro…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Must be mighty impressive cause it was a new record for me 1.5seconds before I turned it off. A welcome to country before a press conference can fro…

*Acknowledgement of Country

Thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.

Your loss man. Good interview.
Pyke might've impressed you, most notably because he's not in the playing squad.
Who knows?

He is Nisbetts version of MI5, all be it a one man team.

So he pretty much does whatever the puppet master asks him to do.
He and the puppet master know where all the skeletons, of player mess ups are buried and he controls the hush money.

Flatlining in Vegas being just one of many sordid tales, that were cut off at the pass.

Hell ……. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he knew where Jimmy Hoffa was buried.
Kind of sounds like a handy guy to have around or is he threatening to spill the beans...

Kind of sounds like a handy guy to have around or is he threatening to spill the beans...

Loyal to a point of fault, he won't spill anything.

Club will be better for his departure.

I thought both spoke very well.

Gaines will be the next Chair after Fitzpatrick, from what I have heard about her in commercial spheres, she is highly capable and well regarded.

Was good to hear and see her front the media, she portrays a confidence that’s encouraging and uplifting.

Pyke likewise spoke well, and did a good job of feeding the chooks with answers to their questions.

I must say that whilst not wanting to get carried away to far with enthusiasm, but the appointment of Pyke gives me good reason to feel confident that the tide is about to turn for my much loved Club.

And that’s a good thing because I have been as grumpy as *, the last few football seasons, as loosing and soft co(k performance have never resonated well with me.

I know that Mrs Monocle has been looking forward to the Eagles turning games around as she has learnt, over the years that weekends for her are generally more enjoyable, if the Eagles win.

Some of you guys already know this story.
But five years ago Mrs Monocle was complaining, that if I spent half as much time and as much passion, following the stock exchange, then we would most probably have been living on the property down South.
I was encouraged ( good word ) to give up following junior football and stop going on Big Footy, ….. it got a bit serious there for a few weeks.

So I bought her a new Mercedes, after which the pleasantries resumed and I was all ok to keep my interest in the Eagles and junior football.
Mrs Wedgie Bans me from the house when we are losing.

Jokes on her coz I get to go the pub

But five years ago Mrs Monocle was complaining, that if I spent half as much time and as much passion, following the stock exchange, then we would most probably have been living on the property down South.

Fair to say with all the insider trading, pillaging people's life saving and all round greed and theft of the stock exchange it's still has more integrity than the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately what happened at the crows would've been an invaluable lesson learnt by Pyke regardless of how involved with what went down he was.
Add to that what he would've picked up in his time at the swans and recon we're definitely onto a good thing, couldn't have been better timing for some good news at the club to lift spirits.
A new bloke at the top just starting out at the same time as all the new young guns are coming in.... BRILLIANT!
#JTR

What i hear from family member at Channel 7 is that the Board initially baulked at Pyke because he has a very downbeat view of the state of the club, the list and the output/performance of various departments and wanted a lot of leeway to make a lot of changes. The Board, even though they stopped saying it publicly a year ago, still subscribed to the Nisbett mantra of how all the problems are external and temporary. I was initially wondering who blinked after he was appointed but after watching the presser it is clear that it is the Board who have blinked. Pyke would not take the job unless the Board was onboard with how he sees things and what he wants to do. I expect he will be limited in the changes he can make for next season given it will be mid January when he takes over. But the people working at the club, including the long timers, will all be getting the message that they better perform and start driving improvement or they will be gone at the end of next year. No more mulligans like under Nisbett.

That came through in several moments where he made statements about "driving improvement" and "focussing on the things you can control". That was 180 degrees different from Nisbett who were very guarded and defensive in media engagements in their words, tone and body language and kept coming back to Covid and injuries. His comments and tone when asked about how long the road back is and when we will make finals again also indicated that he has a much more glass is half empty view than Nisbett did. All of that is music to my ears. Finally somebody with a grasp of reality in charge. And somebody with authority who is not conflicted and needing to defend and deny previous mistakes to protect their own ego.

Don Pyke now CEO.

Excellent news, first step in ensuring that the Club gets it swagger back.

View attachment 1844308 View attachment 1844309

Just need to move on from ranching turning over plain old beef and get into the thoroughbred horse breeding game.

Take a few to the Trainstation to cut the deadwood!;)

If we really get serious our next coach.

Paramount Network Beth Dutton GIF by Yellowstone
Kelly Reilly Stare GIF by Yellowstone

Last edited:
Pyke (interview) seems a balanced mix of grit and brains.
He said all the right things when talking about Simmo, but was interesting to see Simmo watching on - me trying to read the body language?
Would it be slightly uncomfortable for Simmo, having Pyke as an assistant the last time they worked together, and now as his boss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back