Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Would prefer Kodituwakku or the Sydney fella. Haven't rated Richmonds recruiting over the last few years.

If you mean selling the farm to get Hopper and Taranto, sure. Think a fair few Richmond fans agree it might turn out to be a big mistake.

But with the draft picks they did use, they've done more than okay. Only one higher than 20 since the first modern AFL flag but a decent amount have cemented themselves into the first team or at least turned out to have been serviceable.

Wish we had that strike rate - think if you compare ours to Richmond it looks pretty bleak.

From the limited information I have on Matt Clarke, I think he would be a good get.

Comes across as astute, competent and organised.
Richmond seem to always get the deals that they want done, completed and are not afraid to move up or down the draft board either pre draft or on the night as they deem necessary and advantageous.

I would suggest that WCE_phil would be a person who is much better placed and informed, to critique him more accurately and extensively as he would have previously been in negations with him and seen him and his work up close and personal.

From the interviews with him that I have listened to, he comes across as very switched on and articulate.

He has had exposure at Richmond who have been very successful over a sustained period of time, that’s a real positive IMO.

We are in a good position, as it’s a gig that should be highly sought after, therefore it’s not an unreasonable expectation to suggest we are in a position to attract high caliber applicants.

This will be an extremely important and critical Club appointment, that will underpin just how quickly we navigate our way out of the cellar and then take the next step to elevate us to genuine contender status.

If you mean selling the farm to get Hopper and Taranto, sure. Think a fair few Richmond fans agree it might turn out to be a big mistake.

But with the draft picks they did use, they've done more than okay. Only one higher than 20 since the first modern AFL flag but a decent amount have cemented themselves into the first team or at least turned out to have been serviceable.

Wish we had that strike rate - think if you compare ours to Richmond it looks pretty bleak.

I actually think Hardwick is more responsible for selling the farm to land Hopper and Taranto, rather than Clarke.

Since 2018, Pickett, Ralphsmith, M.Rioli, S.Ryan, Gibcus are the players they've brought in that are AFL calibre, other names like Banks, Clarke and last years cohort could make it as well. Out of all of those names only 1 player has the potential to be an A+ player in Gibcus.

Clarke's definitely been hamstrung a fair bit by Richmond's trades involving Taranto, Hopper and Lynch, however i'm still not convinced by the names he's brought in. I think we've done better over the last few years even if you only include picks after the first round. Hough, Long, Hall, A.Reid, Burgiel, Bazzo > Richmond's later picks.

Kodituwakku appeals to me more due to his background in analytics and having previous experience using it to draft college basketball players if memory serves me right. Adelaide have also drafted and traded particularly well over the last few years, Rankine and Dawson have taken them to another level, while also managing to bring in top tier talent such as Rachele, Curtin, Soligo and Pedlar.

I actually think Hardwick is more responsible for selling the farm to land Hopper and Taranto, rather than Clarke.

Since 2018, Pickett, Ralphsmith, M.Rioli, S.Ryan, Gibcus are the players they've brought in that are AFL calibre, other names like Banks, Clarke and last years cohort could make it as well. Out of all of those names only 1 player has the potential to be an A+ player in Gibcus.

Clarke's definitely been hamstrung a fair bit by Richmond's trades involving Taranto, Hopper and Lynch, however i'm still not convinced by the names he's brought in. I think we've done better over the last few years even if you only include picks after the first round. Hough, Long, Hall, A.Reid, Burgiel, Bazzo > Richmond's later picks.

Kodituwakku appeals to me more due to his background in analytics and having previous experience using it to draft college basketball players if memory serves me right. Adelaide have also drafted and traded particularly well over the last few years, Rankine and Dawson have taken them to another level, while also managing to bring in top tier talent such as Rachele, Curtin, Soligo and Pedlar.
I think Curtin in time will be a top tier player, but it's a bit early to declare it now.....and Soligo and Pedlar top tier?? Stop it

Yeah, I would have thought the decision to get Taranto and Hopper would have been driven by the list manager (Blair Hartley) in consultation with Hardwick and other higher ups.

Clarke seems to fulfil the role (national recruiting manager) that Duane Massey fills for us. Others will correct me if I am wrong but i think the national recruiting manager is directed more towards the selection of kids, rather than overall list management and big FA acquisitions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the list manager was just responsible for contracts and what kind of players are required for the list?

Well put it this way, Daune Massey (ie, Clarke's role for Tigers) certainly wouldnt decide our free agent acquisitions. It would have been RoB (ie, Hartley for Tigers).

Fair bit to unpack in this
• Michael Regan, an analytics expert working at Port for the last 2 years, has emerged as a serious contender for the list management role
• Decision expected this week and announced next week with Regan to be at least one of two final interviews
• Matthew Clarke from Richmond is considered to still be in the race but it’s unclear if there are any others
• There were at least 6 interviews last week before the field was narrowed
• Justin Reid (Adelaide) was approached but not interested
• Caruso (GWS) and Keane (Sydney) have both ruled themselves out
• Clarke and Regan have different skill sets but both have large sections of the criteria covered so it will depend on what the club considers more important- analytics or recruiting
• Article points out that neither have a lot of experience negotiating contracts with player managers
• The last part concentrates on what is described as significant behind the scenes changes proceeding at pace under Pyke’s leadership
• Kieran Jack’s new role is mentioned as not being focused on football, but not being excluded from it either. Also mentioned is that Pyke wasn’t directly involved due to any Sydney connection but that the club reached out to Jack when they heard he was moving to Perth with his family
• One recruiter, Greg Hyde, who had been working part time with the club for 30 years has moved on to concentrate on his business outside football after being offered a revised role
• Trevor Woodhouse is continuing in the short term but in a revised role scouting the WAFL
• Todd Nisbett is also considered an outside chance of securing the list manager position

Port Adelaide analytics expert has emerged as a contender for West Coast’s list manager position which is expected to be decided by the end of this week and announced before the end of the month.
Michael Regan, who has worked as an offsider to Port’s list guru Jason Cripps over the past two seasons, is expected to be one of at least two final interviews that West Coast will conduct this week before a final decision.

Richmond recruiter Matt Clarke is also expected to be interviewed. It is not clear if any other contenders remain in the race.

CODE Sports understands that the Eagles conducted six interviews last week before the field was narrowed,

A number of contenders have ruled themselves out.

It is understood the Eagles sounded out Adelaide’s Justin Reid early in the process but he was not interested.

GWS analyst Adrian Caruso and Sydney counterpart Chris Keane are others who have ruled themselves out.

The contrasting skill sets that Clarke and Regan would bring to the role mean that the final decision is likely to come down to what the Eagles believe the role specifically requires.

As recently as last week new CEO Don Pyke had said the appointment would hinge on what the club viewed as more important – a person with a strong background in the game’s analytics or a person with a strong recruiting background.

Clarke, who has worked at Richmond for 15 years, been integral to the club’s list build and has been national recruiting manager since November 2016, would bring a strong background in talent identification and has clearly been a prominent figure in the list build that has yielded three premierships.

For much of the selection process, the football industry has considered him the favourite for the position.

Regan has worked closely with Cripps over the past two seasons at Port, has helped with AFL compliance issues, provided statistical analysis for the club’s list management team and has helped to identify trade targets.

Both men have critical aspects of the list management process covered, although both may also have limited experience in negotiating with player managers on contracts, which is also considered an important part of the role.

It is understood that analytics will be considered a part of the role but if the club opts for Clarke they may feel they can compliment his skill set with analysis from employees already at the club.

What has become clear at the Eagles is that change at the club under Pyke is proceeding at speed, even if much of that change is taking place at a behind the scenes level.

Former Sydney star Kieren Jack started work at West Coast on Monday under the broad brush title of Head of strategy and innovation, a portfolio which neither focuses on, nor is excluded from the football department.

Jack, who played 256 games for Sydney over 12 years and was a premiership player in 2012, had a stint at the Swans and has also worked for KPMG.

Pyke had also done a stint at Sydney but it is understood his hiring was not the result of any link between the two while the new CEO was in the harbour city, but rather via an approach made after the Eagles realised that Jack and his family were moving to WA at the end of 2023.

There have also been changes going on behind the scenes within the club’s recruiting team.

Long time recruiter Greg Hyde, still working part-time at the end of a 30 year association with the club, stepped away before Christmas after being offered a revised role. Hyde runs a successful business outside of football and has opted to focus on that.

Trevor Woodhouse, another long time scout, is understood to be continuing in the short term but also on a revised basis which will be focused on scouting the WAFL.

• Michael Regan, an analytics expert working at Port for the last 2 years, has emerged as a serious contender for the list management role
• Decision expected this week and announced next week with Regan to be at least one of two final interviews
• Matthew Clarke from Richmond is considered to still be in the race but it’s unclear if there are any others
• Clarke and Regan have different skill sets but both have large sections of the criteria covered so it will depend on what the club considers more important- analytics or recruiting
• Article points out that neither have a lot of experience negotiating contracts with player managers
• The last part concentrates on what is described as significant behind the scenes changes proceeding at pace under Pyke’s leadership
• Kieran Jack’s new role is mentioned as not being focused on football, but not being excluded from it either. Also mentioned is that Pyke wasn’t directly involved due to any Sydney connection but that the club reached out to Jack when they heard he was moving to Perth with his family
• One recruiter, Greg Hyde, who had been working part time with the club for 30 years has moved on to concentrate on his business outside football after being offered a revised role
• Trevor Woodhouse is continuing in the short term but in a revised role scouting the WAFL
• Todd Nisbett is also considered an outside chance of securing the list manager position

It would get slammed in the media but I actually wouldn’t hate Toddy Nisbett getting the gig

When I applied for the list manager position I thought it was just that; keeping a pile of lists under control, you know like not letting them get all shuffled up or blown away in the wind, maybe even scanning them into digital storage after I finish my nightschool IT course!

Suffice to say I'm a bit daunted with what the role actually is!

Last edited:
When I applied for the list manager position I thought it was just that; keeping a pile of lists under control, you know like not letting them get all shuffled up or blown away in the wind, maybe even scanning them into digital storage after I finish my nightschool IT course!

Suffice to say I'm a bit daunted with what the role actually is!

And now Dad has gone you’d have to compete fairly.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The number declining is of note

The number declining is of note

It mentions 3

Justin Reid was never interested

Caruso and Keane are with GWS and Sydney respectively in important positions at good clubs. Both would need to relocate, possibly with young families.

Either, or both, may have decided they weren’t ready for a role that comes with more responsibility, particularly Keane

It’s never easy getting people to leave a job they’re happy in especially when it involves moving 4,000km

It mentions 3

Justin Reid was never interested

Caruso and Keane are with GWS and Sydney respectively in important positions at good clubs. Both would need to relocate, possibly with young families.

Either, or both, may have decided they weren’t ready for a role that comes with more responsibility, particularly Keane

It’s never easy getting people to leave a job they’re happy in especially when it involves moving 4,000km
I guess those not interested have already declined to be considered
As the wise man said: It’s never easy getting people to leave a job they’re happy in especially when it involves moving 4,000km

Remove this Banner Ad

Back