What does our next test XI look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see many, if any, changes from the 4th test in South Africa. If that was the best eleven at the time, then CA can hardly justify dumping guys in what must have been the most psychologically messed up team Australia has fielded since the West Indies were at their fear peak.
edit: Except, obviously, Starc to come in after missing the last Test.

I don't see many, if any, changes from the 4th test in South Africa. If that was the best eleven at the time, then CA can hardly justify dumping guys in what must have been the most psychologically messed up team Australia has fielded since the West Indies were at their fear peak.

I suspect they will be stubborn and keep the same team too, save for Starc for Sayers as you say.

Handscomb should be nowhere near the team though.

Given the circumstances Khawaja and Shaun Marsh probably have to be backed in for their experience so I will understand if they stick with them.

Good opportunity to find a long term batsman or two though so will be disappointing if they don't take the opportunity and pick all the same plebs.

I agree; unless someone makes a compelling case at the start of the season, we'll probably see the same batting line-up, except maybe Maxwell for Handscomb. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like seeing Burns at the top of the order, I don't think he's an opener. Maybe bring in a new opener, drop Handscomb and drop Burns down the order. Or more radically...

Renshaw
Khawaja (keeps him away from spinners for a bit)
S. Marsh
Maxwell
Burns
M. Marsh

Is this our worst batting line up and general batting depth since mid 1980's ?
Back around 1984 and 1985 we were rotating guys like Graeme Wood, John Dyson, Andrew Hidtich and Kepler Wessels to open. Even had Steve Smith open against West Indies on 1984 tour from memory whom was as much a Test opener as Finch is now.. That Steve Smith back then I remember as a handy one day opener but should not have been near Test side but we had such poor stocks plenty were tried. Basically Kim Hughes had enough after two back to back series v the almighty Windies fast bowlers and left it to AB to try to rectify. Hughes ended up going to South Africa on a rebel tour with Make Haysmen etc. So our stocks were at almighty low since World Series cricket had our best bats and we played India here in a series where Bob Simpson came out of retirement to captain.

But getting back to AB taking over. Really he was only stable batsmen in the 6. He had fellow Queenslander Fat Cat ,Greg Ritchie for a little while. Same with Rob Kerr for one or two Tests. Virtually anyone was tried to find opening pair. Greg Matthews tried as allrounder at 6. Simon O'Donnell about 1985 Ashes tour. We were so bad even Dirk Wellhman was back. Real ugly batting line-up. Things did not start to improve until 1986 when David Boon and Geoff Marsh started to open together and Steve Waugh was brought in as allrounder after O'Donnell showed he was a white ball cricketer. But even Steve Waugh took untill 1989 to make a Test century. It really was tough for AB in those mid 80's.

Is the batting line-up options worse right now ?
I actually sadly think so.

Even the keeping was rotating between Wooley, Dyder, Rixon, Phillips and Zoeherer.
Spinning options no super with Murray Bennet, Bob Holland and Trevor Hohns no Warney, McGill, May, Yardley or Lyon.

What was the batting line-up when we played India in Test series here 40 years ago. At time I did not watch as only watched World Series Cricket. WSC Aussies had Laird and McCosker opening, the Chappell brothers, Walters and Hookes. Bob Simpson's batting line-up ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back