What happens if two teams finish with the same %.

Remove this Banner Ad

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I cant believe people thought it was alphabetical order :eek:

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So Points For is never a factor? Not during the season, nor at the end of the season? Was it ever a way of separating teams on the ladder?

Ladder prior to end of season:
- Premiership Points, then Percentage, then Alphabetical

Ladder at end of season:
- Premiership Points, then Percentage, then Head to Head Premiership Points, then Head to Head Percentage, then "Drawing of Lots"

That all sound correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
So if I'm interpreting this correctly, it seems that games between the clubs are used first, then if still tied, the %'s from these games, then in the extremely unlikely scenario of still being tied, they essentially draw it out of a hat.

i would think the AFL may opt for a play off between the two... easy to do if they stick with this bye round before the finals.... again, unlikely for this scenario to ever happen... % is a virtually flawless tie breaker

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would not be surprised if the post-R23 bye is scrapped after this year. It doesn't achieve what the AFL thought it would. For example, if the Bulldogs are stuck in 7th, or at least, they can't move up, they will most likely rest players and not send them to Perth. It doesn't particularly matter if they have to play the following week or not, although it may not be ideal for some players to have 2 weekends without footy. But if a player has a minor yet legitimate injury, they will probably be rested, but would play if it was a final rather than a rather meaningless dead H&A match.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
I would not be surprised if the post-R23 bye is scrapped after this year. It doesn't achieve what the AFL thought it would. For example, if the Bulldogs are stuck in 7th, or at least, they can't move up, they will most likely rest players and not send them to Perth. It doesn't particularly matter if they have to play the following week or not, although it may not be ideal for some players to have 2 weekends without footy. But if a player has a minor yet legitimate injury, they will probably be rested, but would play if it was a final rather than a rather meaningless dead H&A match.

agree... the pre-finals bye is dumb... doesn't stop tanking

H E Pennypacker

Senior List
Jun 22, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
So Points For is never a factor? Not during the season, nor at the end of the season? Was it ever a way of separating teams on the ladder?

Ladder prior to end of season:
- Premiership Points, then Percentage, then Alphabetical

Ladder at end of season:
- Premiership Points, then Percentage, then Head to Head Premiership Points, then Head to Head Percentage, then "Drawing of Lots"

That all sound correct?

Your summary seems correct. I'm not sure if the 'Points for' question is serious though. Percentage is 'Points For' divided by 'Points Against', times 100. So 'Points For' is always a factor.

i would think the AFL may opt for a play off between the two... easy to do if they stick with this bye round before the finals.... again, unlikely for this scenario to ever happen... % is a virtually flawless tie breaker

That stuff I quoted was from the Laws of the Game if I remember correctly, so unless it's changed since then, I doubt they'd go against the laws already in place. Then again, the AFL do like to make knee-jerk decisions on the fly so I wouldn't put it past them.

Agree completely, I think this was another of their not-so-well thought out plans.

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
So if I'm interpreting this correctly, it seems that games between the clubs are used first, then if still tied, the %'s from these games, then in the extremely unlikely scenario of still being tied, they essentially draw it out of a hat.

Maybe they could play off in the week off before the finals if it happens this year.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I used to think that after percentage they go to who has most For. It's possible (but not definite) this would be the same and then they could go to results between the sides

Recall in the nineties this was a possibility and the AFL said there would be a play off game but then the respective teams agreed on some sort of penalty shoot out style scenario with shots from 40m out our something

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
If for example both teams were on 100%, then It goes buy alphebetical order. So if it was Essendon and Richmond, Essendon would get threw because E is before R. Or is this not the way it's done!?

That explains the rumour that the bulldogs are about to change their name to the AA Bulldogs.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Adelaide and Port Adelaide both currently tied on percentage while both the Bulldogs and Hawthorn are tied on percentage. There's an outside chance we could see a tie in percentage this year for 8th spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back