What Is Going On

Remove this Banner Ad

Half time, and down by 24 points after being 43 points down earlier in the quarter.

Great play by the Saints winning in the areas we normally do - center breaks and round the stoppages.

We chased arse for nearly all of the first 2 quarters. We did get a bit of run on in the last 10 minutes or so of the 2nd term. Bickley was the motivating force in the mini-recovery.

Perrie and Carey have done very very little.

The Saints came out with a tremendous attitude, while ours was bloody pathetic. We obviously thought it would just happen, and of course it doesn't.

We have an uphill battle to win the game - players like Roo, Goody, Edwards, Perrie, Carey etc just have to pull their weight. or there is no hope.

Our disposal in general has been poor.

Three quarter time and down by 33 points. Our actual game picked up to some degree but the delivery into the forward lines is atrocious. Ball handling errors under the fierce attack of the Saints has made us look 2nd rate.

Turning point of the quarter. Reilly running into an open goal and hitting the post (our 3rd poster) which would have made the margin 15 points.

Burton off injured and Carey looks a bit sus as well. Thank god for Goody - he has been magnificent, but a lone hand.

Can't see us winning this one, and we don't deserve to either.

At least it puts a stop to such bull sh*t threads about winning all 22 games.

Originally posted by macca23

Turning point of the quarter. Reilly running into an open goal and hitting the post (our 3rd poster) which would have made the margin 15 points.

Burton off injured and Carey looks a bit sus as well. Thank god for Goody - he has been magnificent, but a lone hand.

Can't see us winning this one, and we don't deserve to either.

Critical misses cost Crows in the end - Crows with two more scroing shots could have pulled off a great escape but didn't.

I thought it strange that they could play that badly and still go down by only 8 points.

Hopefully it will be a wake-up call. It SHOULD help to get rid of some complacency, one hopes.

Originally posted by ok.crows
Critical misses cost Crows in the end - Crows with two more scroing shots could have pulled off a great escape but didn't.

I thought it strange that they could play that badly and still go down by only 8 points.

Hopefully it will be a wake-up call. It SHOULD help to get rid of some complacency, one hopes.
Well the only negative of St Kildas perfomance was the fact that they easily could have beatin us by much more than eight points- made the scoreboard look a little more respectful though.

Hour since they lost, and im still in shock :eek:

In the end we got pretty close but it would have been an injustice if the Saints has lost. Too much left to too few for the Crows.

McLeod played a blinder of a last quarter to try and get us up, and I thought Torney had an impact as well.

That miss of Reilly's did turn out to be the turning point of the game.

Would have been a strange win if we had of got up, because overall it was be our cr*ppiest performance since 2001.

It's very disappointing to see a good team play so badly. They obviously thought that just turning up would do the trick - it never does!!

As is always the way with poor team efforts, the injuries come as well.

Overall, a p*ss-poor effort with a few individual exceptions.

In the end we got pretty close but it would have been an injustice if the Saints has lost.

Exactly!!!!!! St. Kilda desrved a win and were pretty unlucky not to have won by more. We were shocking. 2 minutes into the match you could see that it was going to be a long day at the office. I don't think we had many winners on the day. We didn't get our match ups right until 4th quarter. Stenglein on Milne was the obvious mismatch as Stenglein is not as quick as Milne. Reiwoldt on Burton:confused: . Birdman again got plenty of the ball but kept wasting it. Just as I was thinking we need to mix up our forward line and maybe put Burton at FF he takes a ripper and kicks a goal but goes off injured. We just needed to apply ourselves a lot better and mix it up a bit.

Give credit where its due, St. Kilda were sensational today. Wouldn't we like to have the likes of Reiwoldt, Kozi, Ball and Milne. They will beat some good teams this year.

Overall, a p*ss-poor effort with a few individual exceptions.
The bottom line is we didn't give anywhere near 100% today & the other side made up for lesser talent by being far more desperate. I expect us to come out firing next week!

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
I expect us to come out firing next week!

I doubt we will need 3 tall forwards on small SCG. Carey looks very sus to me. I reckon he is not over his injuries.:mad:

Lets hope we get the match ups right this time around:

Stiffy Vs Nick Davis
Hart Vs O'Laughlin
Smart Vs Hall
Stenglein Vs Williams

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

Give credit where its due, St. Kilda were sensational today. Wouldn't we like to have the likes of Reiwoldt, Kozi, Ball and Milne. They will beat some good teams this year.

The Saints are a young side that has heaps of talent. But with young sides inconsistancy is a problem. Wouldn't suprise if West Coast beat them easily next week.

On the Crows. To be frank if you put the current crows outfit up against the current Saints outfit the Crows would win probably 7 out of 10 times. Today they were slightly off their game and the Saints young guns fired.

I am not suprised the scoreline was so close. With players the like of McLeod, Edwards et al, the Crows would always mount a challenge in the final qtr. For the Saints to weather the storm and keep kicking goals just made the Adelaide task that much harder. In days gone by the Saints would have completely stopped and a team as classy and talanted as the Crows would have won by three goals.

Carey looked very ordinary today. Any worries there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Joffaboy
Carey looked very ordinary today. Any worries there?

I don't know mate, he looked a bit sus to me and didn't move well at all today. It almost looked like his back was troubling him. I hope I am wrong but I think he is sore and will probably miss next week. I think:confused:

Whether it was the booze kicking in (had a few Crownies and some smoothing music) but after calming down after the first half hour I can see positives:-

- we played like old moles yet only lost by 8 points
- St Kilda has a lot of talent but are inconsistent (Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde)
- at least it will knock the Adelaide players into some reality that at this level you have to play at your peak and can't slack off at any stage
- there is always next week - watch out Swannies

PS : how do you only kick 6.10 in three quarters yet can kick 7.3 in one?

Originally posted by kirky
PS : how do you only kick 6.10 in three quarters yet can kick 7.3 in one?

Happened twice last year against the Pies & Eagles,

A win yesterday would have been a travesty as the Saints were the better side for 75% of the game it was only that Mcleod & Edwards decided to put on a show in the last quarter that we managed to get so close,

No excuses for an inept performance with the Complacency factor already in evidence.

Reality check for sure!

Match was lost at selection midweek......

Crowell towelled Milne last time we played them.........The Stengflein v Milne match up was farcical & shows the match committee over rated our so called stars & underrated theres................
Stenglein at best is a midfield tagger not a last line of defence tagger & everyone knows he is as slow as a wet week.......Maybe we need to rethink the transition of Stenglein into an offensive genuine midfielder as his obvious lack of pace & poor disposal under pressure means he isn't going to get any clean ball away from the stoppages......
The way we've delivered the ball into the forward line in the past two games suggests Johnson's loss is going to be a lot harder to fill.......... & maybe Riccuito should spend more time there as a first choice midfielder rather than trying to make something out of Stenglein that he's frankly not equipped for yet.

We also underrated Hammill & put Bassett on him within 60 secs of the game starting.........another one we got wrong.

Blooding young blokes is one thing, making obvious basic footy mistakes is a completely different thing............& evidence was on show yesterday that the SANFL maybe the option for these two.

It may be early days but Mattner needs to learn a lot more about proactive football rather than being reactive.When he was on Milne in the last quarter he surrendered front position three times to him & which cost us the 3 goals that we couldn't afford.

Reilly now is in the big league where the competition doesn't allow you to make mistakes nor do an apprenticeship........ you don't get three gifts in front of goal & miss them all.

The Burton Reiwaldt match up was also wrong.....it meant Burton was lost as an attacking player. Crowells inclusion either to take Milne or Reiwaldt would have allowed more options in either contingency.
Can someone tell me what has Doughty done wrong? Surely 30 games experience is worth more than Mattner's potential.........what happened to the days where you had to earn your spot by outstanding performances?

Who is our Defensive coach? That Hammill could take the ball with two hands from a stoppage in front of a pack 20 metres from goal with no one between him & the goals is dumb footy & **** poor defensive stategy.............if you were coaching the year 8's you could expect more.

Originally posted by blighty

Reilly now is in the big league where the competition doesn't allow you to make mistakes nor do an apprenticeship........ you don't get three gifts in front of goal & miss them all.
I think your a little hard on him, remember he is only young and he is still learning the game. While it was dissapointing and frustrating to watch, we must remember that he wouldve been under pressure to kick the ball straight, and with the inexperience he has, it wouldve been difficult to stick to the basics in such a terrible game that was yearing for good performances.

Well on a different note, went to the members day today. Anyone else go?
I really enjoyed it, got a stack of signatures for my guernsey. Was a bit dissapointed that Reilly wasnt there( he, bickley, goodwin, basset and biglands were at a function in Melbourne), especially when i had bought his photo earlier for him to sign :(
I got scotty welsh to FINALLY sign my pic of him as well ( i also got a photo with him and Torney :D )
Andrew McLeod's little kid is so cute!! He was training with the players this morning, and Nigel Smart was trying to get him to keep up with the players.
Overall a good day, hope its just as good next year.

Clearances Analysis

We dominated the hitouts 36-14, but were killed 8-14 in the clearances. I lost count of how many times Matty Clarke got his hands to the ball, but it didn't go to advantage. This must be addressed this week!

Originally posted by ScottWelshLuva
Well on a different note, went to the members day today. Anyone else go?
I really enjoyed it, got a stack of signatures for my guernsey. Was a bit dissapointed that Reilly wasnt there( he, bickley, goodwin, basset and biglands were at a function in Melbourne), especially when i had bought his photo earlier for him to sign :(
I got scotty welsh to FINALLY sign my pic of him as well ( i also got a photo with him and Torney :D )
Andrew McLeod's little kid is so cute!! He was training with the players this morning, and Nigel Smart was trying to get him to keep up with the players.
Overall a good day, hope its just as good next year.

I went! I really enjoyed it up to the point were I went to change films and exposed the best half of my film. So i've managed to lose all my photos of and with Scotty, Massie, Mattner, Stevo and Lads :(

Which now means my day off will be spent having my picture re taken! :D

Originally posted by Blues_Girl
I went! I really enjoyed it up to the point were I went to change films and exposed the best half of my film. So i've managed to lose all my photos of and with Scotty, Massie, Mattner, Stevo and Lads :(

Which now means my day off will be spent having my picture re taken! :D
:( :eek: :( :eek: thats criminal!!!!! Im glad that didnt happen to me (sorry!!). I regret not getting a photo with Stenglein when my friend did (i ran off and she had to yell out my name so i could take the pic for her!!!)
Wow i just realised how much i like brackets

Originally posted by ScottWelshLuva
:( :eek: :( :eek: thats criminal!!!!! Im glad that didnt happen to me (sorry!!). I regret not getting a photo with Stenglein when my friend did (i ran off and she had to yell out my name so i could take the pic for her!!!)
Wow i just realised how much i like brackets

I sat there and cried!!! Thank god no one saw me :eek: I had my official photographer with me on Sunday! She even managed to jump in on a few photos too!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back