What to expect in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

From what he was saying in his video, he expects to play the majority of the season. I'm pretty buoyed by that optimism and I hope his form warrants a spot each week.

Maybe he's this years Kerridge? Not like-for-like, but a guy who has been starved of opportunities in a good team coming in a playing a role for a couple of years.

From what he was saying in his video, he expects to play the majority of the season. I'm pretty buoyed by that optimism and I hope his form warrants a spot each week.

Maybe he's this years Kerridge? Not like-for-like, but a guy who has been starved of opportunities in a good team coming in a playing a role for a couple of years.
agree. I dissed him bad on here not long ago BUT if he wants to have a crack - go on son!

Last edited:

We had a really solid block of games last season... I think West coast, Sydney, Hawthorn and possibly one other which we lost by 2~ goals or so. I hadn't seen sustained pressure over consecutive weeks like that from us in years. Conversely, games against north and the crows come to mind (sure there were others) where we looked second rate. This is the gap we have to bridge.

So honestly winnings great, and we need that reward from time to reassure that what we're doing in fact works. But for me if we win 3-4 less games so be it. I'd be far happier seeing fewer weeks where the structures/game play/pressure ect seem to fall away completely. Optimistically, this is how I see the year playing out.

If you look back at 2015, those weeks when Barker took over there was a considerable jump in the gap between our worst and best. I look back at our record breaking loss to hawthorn (that was a tough night) and compare that to 2016 (at aurora) that was like a 110 point turnaround in 1 year. Whose to say we can't go another step again. Teams like Fremantle, Essendon and GC are expected to go past us. But why?? Fremantle (injuries) but they've also gone backwards with their list depth. GC same, but we had our fair share and I like our talent more to step up more than theirs. Essendon, expect soft tissues early but their list is hoping on a few older players to step back in. Most teams took them for granted last year so we're actually worse than they actually performed. A few players stepped up that'll go backwards and the older players won't look anywhere as good as they did in 2014-15.

Teams like north, west coast, Geelong, port, Melb, saint kilda, Collingwood should/could be around our mark. We have the smallest injury list ATM (knocked on wood, full on belted some timber) and if that stays like that our ceiling could be 6-8. Here's hoping. But there is no problem in being last either. Another pick 1 a few FAs plus Ben. Wow. Only to rise for 17.

I cant see us winning enough games to get out of the bottom 4, but the success or failure of the season should be judged on the performance of Mckay, C Curnow, Cunningham, SOS, SPS and co. Strong showings of the back of our youngsters as opposed to the usual suspects is what im hoping for.

Totally wrong, aerobic fitness always been an issue. Liam has been happy to put in in the gym, but a "lagger" in running drills, tailing in the
field repeatedly. The classic star big man from the lower leagues, who knows his spot is a given and goes through the motions on the track.
I posted earlier that he has no choice but to improve his ability for repeat efforts or accept that his time in the big league has gone.

There was plenty of scope to improve. If he is putting in the extra effort, then maybe there is significant upside at this "late stage"

Jones is one of those players that look really "good on paper" but just don't deliver (has done some good things now and again but can't string consistent games together - just seems to be incapable of willing himself into the game if he's having a bad day - which is most days!). Having said that, he'll turn 26 before the season starts and I'm wondering if anyone can name a player that turned their career around at 26? Anyone?

Jones is one of those players that look really "good on paper" but just don't deliver (has done some good things now and again but can't string consistent games together - just seems to be incapable of willing himself into the game if he's having a bad day - which is most days!). Having said that, he'll turn 26 before the season starts and I'm wondering if anyone can name a player that turned their career around at 26? Anyone?

Let's start with Stef Martin, Podsiadly, Maric, could add Sam Rowe.

Not really, besides ruckmen who dont count.. I cant think of many players who have spent 7 years on an AFL list having done so little, so not many get the opportunity to turn there careers around because they would be playing for Pascoe Vale by now.

I just think we had the hot streak last year BUT although we didn't win many games after that we pushed sydney and hawthorn on their home grounds PLUS we've added depth more youth and another year of development to our youth PLUS another year of bolts around the place. This equals in my view IMPROVEMENT and MORE REWARD. I think this inevitably leads to more wins. The "other teams have also improved" is a bit of a red herring as if we believe what we're saying there are a great deal of intangibles that can't be compared and effectively scrutinised - like a number of things coming together at the right time and team and club chemistry- similar to when teams like the bulldogs win the flag. I just see Bolts making our list deeper by getting the best out of players and then you have surprise "recruits" like Armfield and reenergsised palmers and smedts, who Bolton had obviously told ill give you a chance to pay on the ball this year and given him all the confidence in the world. Who knows. I think we sneak into the eight without fanfare and fly under the radar. Every year a smokey makes the eight. Quite logically we are a huge chance to be that smokey. The bolts and sos factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At most clubs, players aren't normally given to the age of 26 to mature unless they have shown that they have something.
KPP or Ruckmen are prime examples of players who primarily mature and play real consistent football.
In the case of Jones, he will never be more than a VFL player, not because of ability but because of his inability to push himself beyond his breaking point threshold.
It's sad but true and it's a mental thing and not physical. When players don't put a ceiling on there ability and when they have the will power, the attitude and belief in themselves, that is when a player is able to take their game to the next level.
It's typical of players like Jones and KJ that they have it in them to become really good AFL players but lack the mental aptitude and it takes clubs some time to eventually give up and realise that the amount of work put into developing them has gone to waste.

I feel as though I am in the minority in thinking we could actually do better than last year.

We've really only lost Tuohy. Byrne is a massive loss but more so in terms of potential than actual runs on the board week in week out. And in any event he potentially has a like for like replacement in fellow Irishman Sheehan.

So we have lost Tuohy but we have added Murphy and Palmer to the midfield.

And we hope to get some return from SPS and maybe even Fisher who seems to bat above his weight all the time.

And then there is the development in the kids from last year.

Plus the likelihood the players will know each other and the game plan better in 2017.

Honestly all I see it a net positive return in 2017.

Not in the minority at all, I still think 9-11 wins is achievable.

Brock McLean.

Bolts coach of the year. Jack SOS rising star. Make the eight on percentage and lose a final in heartbreaking circumstances. Polson to have a Barlowesque debut year. Gibbo all oz and to poll heavily in the 'low. I don't care if none of its true is just fun writing it.
Without the broken leg Barlow had midway through his debut year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back