Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Media and reputation don't really come into it (for me anyway). Just an overall assessment. Make no mistake - North's list is poor. The worst of the four you addressed. Essendon's is better but to help generate sales it copped a lot of unwarranted media hype.

You genuinely believe Essendon is copping it for `sales` not based on performance??

- The role of senior coaches is grossly overrated by the fans and the media. It’s a full-time, high strategy sport where the whole footy department matters. We have no idea how day-to-day matters affect what we see on weekends, nor do we understand the dynamics in the coaching box (as suggested by the Mark Neeld sacking).

- The Western Bulldogs will win another premiership within the next four years.

- Matthew Kreuzer has been lucky to avoid the constant scrutiny that has accompanied Jack Watts and Tom Boyd.

- Matthew Kreuzer has been lucky to avoid the constant scrutiny that has accompanied Jack Watts and Tom Boyd.

Nah he’s been a very solid workhorse and you could never query his effort unlike the other two. If he was ever dropped it was probably because of having to play while injured.

Nah he’s been a very solid workhorse and you could never query his effort unlike the other two. If he was ever dropped it was probably because of having to play while injured.

There were big knocks on Kreuzer’s commitment in his early seasons (he had a tendency for instance to duck his head in marking contests), but he’s been forgiven for his sins whereas other tall number one picks are marked very harshly vey early on. It’s already happening with Schache.

I’ll grant you he’s a ‘workhorse’ - but some days he moves and kicks like a cart horse.

that Gil isn't doing enough to get all clubs on board and is watering down contracts just to establish minor connections
and therefore will take money for ridiculous reasons...

now I have said that let me say this... he isn't a bad bloke but he is prone to attracting the lowest common denominator..

and now I have said this, I will say this.. that he is a ripper bloke and I am only half fussing about the whole scenario..
It is a time constraining effort to work the AFL so anything he has been trying to do is fantastic..

He is one of a kind and so are others, they are all constructing a world class AFL and doing a good
job of it all...

My late night rhetoric is meant to apply the heart to the stone and that it is all working okay..

stunned but level.. it is all okay.. ;)

This so much. As a defender and a key position defender at that, he has changed the game. Not many players say they've change the game. Beating you one on one and running off you for intercepts.

Can you point me to a game where McGovern has played on and beaten a gun KPF? Don’t get me wrong he is a star, but Rance in the past has played on and beaten the gun forwards. McGovern mans up one of the weaker forwards and floats off him all day.

1. As much as it hurts to say it... Port's recruiting and list management have been brilliant over the last 2/3 years...

2. Rather than a mid season trade period, would like to see clubs able to sign loan deals with other clubs... e.g. top 8 team loans stsr from bottom 8 club in exchange for draft pick x for x months

3. Alex Rance is not the best defender in the game... and on several occasions has been caught out... his other back 5 make him look good...

Media and reputation don't really come into it (for me anyway). Just an overall assessment. Make no mistake - North's list is poor. The worst of the four you addressed. Essendon's is better but to help generate sales it copped a lot of unwarranted media hype.
So why is it poor? Or should we take it as gospel truth that you are correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players' finals statistics should be analysed and categorized more. It's almost like another level with stakes and quality. Even the greatest players have inferior stats to their overall. So it would make it more relative and better to interpret to separate more and compare

Players' finals statistics should be analysed and categorized more. It's almost like another level with stakes and quality. Even the greatest players have inferior stats to their overall. So it would make it more relative and better to interpret to separate more and compare

I'm pretty sure they're separated and readily available on a player's page on the AFL Tables website.

Not at all. Most adults can usually back up their opinions with something resembling facts. That you didn't tells me plenty.

Ok ok, I'll come to the party. I can't find an area of the field in which I'd say North are good (backs, mids, forwards, ruck). Those four areas range from either reasonable to poor. Keep in mind, we're talking merely about lists - a factor which, as I stated earlier, is overrated. Don't take it personally, just an opinion :)

My seemingly unpopular opinions are that the Dogs were the comps best team in 2016 and the Tigers were the best team in the comp in 2017.

They were both the best team when it mattered, thats for sure.
They certainly werent the best team for the whole season, but that doesnt matter really.

Ok ok, I'll come to the party. I can't find an area of the field in which I'd say North are good (backs, mids, forwards, ruck). Those four areas range from either reasonable to poor. Keep in mind, we're talking merely about lists - a factor which, as I stated earlier, is overrated. Don't take it personally, just an opinion :)

Yeah but you could say that about Richmond. They are pretty good all over the ground, and not outstanding in any section.
The bulldogs were the same. Quality midfield but poor defense and attack and they won a flag.
Sydney have relied on a 'no-name' defense for a long time.

The game is not about who you have anymore. Its how they work with the rest of the team and structure

Yeah but you could say that about Richmond. They are pretty good all over the ground, and not outstanding in any section.
The bulldogs were the same. Quality midfield but poor defense and attack and they won a flag.
Sydney have relied on a 'no-name' defense for a long time.

The game is not about who you have anymore. Its how they work with the rest of the team and structure

Agree with that. And it's consistent with my assertion that having a good list is important, but not that great.

Nothing personal, it is your delusion. What right do I have to intrude....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back