Opinion What would 2022 AFL State of Origin teams look like on paper?

Remove this Banner Ad

South Australia

FB: Daniel, Ballard, Lukosious
HB: Smith, Cox, Day
C: Aish, Neale, Dawson
HF: Hayward, Fogarty, Bailey
FF: Wingard, Thilthorpe, Rankine
FOL: Grundy, Rozee, Horne-Francis
INT: Hewett, Redden, Pickett, Viney

Jesus. Was pulling teeth at the end looking for a centre half forward. Surely I'm missing someone:oops:
Hewett and Laird get starting on ball spots ahead of Horne Francis and Rozee

There would be enough star power in the WA team inparticular to compete with Victoria. Just because Vic is better on paper doesn't guarantee they win just like the team with the best list often doesn't win the flag.

Given Victoria >>>>>>> the rest, would be interesting to see the sides as City v Country:

Melbourne:

B: James Sicily - Jacob Weitering - Luke Ryan
HB: Jayden Short - Darcy Moore - Jack Sinclair
C: Ed Langdon - Jack Macrae - Bailey Smith
HF: Marcus Bontempelli - Joe Daniher - Toby Greene
F: Dylan Moore - Max King - Jordan de Goey
R: Max Gawn - Christian Petracca - Touk Miller

Int: Andrew Brayshaw - Luke Parker - Tom Mitchell - Adam Saad
SUB: Josh Kelly

Country Vic:

B: Tom Stewart - Mark Blicavs - Jack Henry
HB: Sam Docherty - Jake Lever - Changkuoth Jiath
C: Sam Walsh - Clayton Oliver - Hugh McCluggage
HF: Dustin Martin - Tom Lynch - Patrick Dangerfield
F: Charlie Curnow - Jeremy Cameron - Tom Papley
R: Rowan Marshall - Ollie Wines - Darcy Parish

Int: Jack Crisp - Zach Merrett - Travis Boak - Josh Dunkley
SUB: Jake Lloyd

Key defenders a clear cut win for Melbourne but otherwise fairly evenly balanced.

This would be a good game - Melbourne win it but not by a whole heap.

Victoria's team is much stronger relative to WA & SA compared to past eras. Matches would be very one sided. Queensland has dropped off as well.

I understand that but why do you think that is? Why are WA and SA in particular so much worse than they used to be? What has gone wrong? Does the AFL's all pervading Vic bias in all facets of the game, money, development, Victorian State Government control of the game weaken the other states? You'd have to say yes wouldn't you, unless of course you have another theory.

Would you guys want a state of origin comp again? Like properly with each state being it’s own team. I would, the 2020 match was unreal. VICs would probably win seeing the teams people have been posting.

I understand that but why do you think that is? Why are WA and SA in particular so much worse than they used to be? What has gone wrong? Does the AFL's all pervading Vic bias in all facets of the game, money, development, Victorian State Government control of the game weaken the other states? You'd have to say yes wouldn't you, unless of course you have another theory.
Perhaps SA and WA should let the AFL run all levels of footy like they do in the other states.

Check out this awesome thread for hypothetical past sides:

South Australia

FB: Daniel, Ballard, Lukosious
HB: Smith, Cox, Day
C: Aish, Neale, Dawson
HF: Hayward, Fogarty, Bailey
FF: Wingard, Thilthorpe, Rankine
FOL: Grundy, Rozee, Horne-Francis
INT: Hewett, Redden, Pickett, Viney

Jesus. Was pulling teeth at the end looking for a centre half forward. Surely I'm missing someone:oops:
Wilkie in for Day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A combined QLD/NT team wouldn't be too bad:

FB: C.Budarick (GC), H.Andrews (Bri), A.Aliir (PA)
HB: B.Long (StK), S.May (Mel), J.Bowes (GC)
C: Z.Bailey (Bri), B.Keays (Ade), D.Rioli (Ric)
HF: S.Motlop (PA), M.Chol (GC), W.Rioli (WC)
FF: E.Hipwood (Bri), C.Dixon (PA), C.Cameron (Bri)
FOL: T.Hickey (Syd), B.Parfitt (Gee), D.Zorko (Bri)
INT: N.Cockatoo (Bri), L.Keeffe (GWS), J.Jeffrey (GC), W.Ashcroft (San)
Coach: M.Voss (Car)

A combined QLD/NT team wouldn't be too bad:

FB: C.Budarick (GC), H.Andrews (Bri), A.Aliir (PA)
HB: B.Long (StK), S.May (Mel), J.Bowes (GC)
C: Z.Bailey (Bri), B.Keays (Ade), D.Rioli (Ric)
HF: S.Motlop (PA), M.Chol (GC), W.Rioli (WC)
FF: E.Hipwood (Bri), C.Dixon (PA), C.Cameron (Bri)
FOL: T.Hickey (Syd), B.Parfitt (Gee), D.Zorko (Bri)
INT: N.Cockatoo (Bri), L.Keeffe (GWS), J.Jeffrey (GC), W.Ashcroft (San)
Coach: M.Voss (Car)
I thought Charlie Cameron was a Sandgroper?

Recruited from Swan District in the WAFL

I thought Charlie Cameron was a Sandgroper?

Recruited from Swan District in the WAFL
Born in Mt Isa and grew up in Mornington Island until he was around 13 when he started boarding in Brisbane on a baseball scholarship. He began playing footy while in Brisbane and spent 6 months in the Brisbane Lions academy before quitting to focus on rugby. When he graduated from high school at 17 he moved to Newman in WA where he started playing footy again. The following year he joined Swan Districts and the next year after that he got drafted to the Crows.

When you've spent the first 17 years of your life in Queensland and that included 6 months in the Brisbane Lions academy, I'm fairly sure you would be considered a Queenslander under any State of Origin rules.

Last edited:
Born in Mt Isa and lived there until he was around 13 when he started boarding in Brisbane on a baseball scholarship. He began playing footy while in Brisbane and spent 6 months in the Brisbane Lions academy before quitting to focus on rugby. When he graduated from high school at 17 he moved to Newman in WA where he started playing footy again. The following year he joined Swan Districts and the next year after that he got drafted to the Crows.

When you've spent the first 17 years of your life in Queensland and that included 6 months in the Brisbane Lions academy, I'm fairly sure you would be considered a Queenslander under any State of Origin rules.
Fair enough.

I didnt know he is background well enough.

I didn't realise this thread was created only a few weeks ago and just created one myself on how I think the state of origin concept would work.

Some very interesting sides here that are in some instances more powerful and others less powerful than I thought.

Games that would be competitive:
Vic metro v Vic country
W.A v NSW
S.A v QLD

Only one game for each state per year pre the bye round. Post year one, the next year the winners play the loser from the category above.

Is there enough fire in the burden for Victorians to have a Metro v Country rivalry? Do understand the depth would be good enough

Do the City siders v Country have enough to get it going?

Im not sure about it in this day and age.Its hard enough to get enough support for the Big V alone (as a whole state)

Do believe the Vics v All Stars concept has some merit but like most have said here , i cant see it taking off.

Is there enough fire in the burden for Victorians to have a Metro v Country rivalry? Do understand the depth would be good enough

Do the City siders v Country have enough to get it going?

Im not sure about it in this day and age.Its hard enough to get enough support for the Big V alone (as a whole state)

Do believe the Vics v All Stars concept has some merit but like most have said here , i cant see it taking off.

The only reason Victoria became unpopular to follow is because we knew the result was a foregone conclusion, so what's to get excited about. It's similar to in interest in the Australian team in rugby league.

Vic country would definitely love to show up the city boys and that's where the rivalry would come from.

Nobody cares about the allies because they don't represent anything. An actual state is something to be proud of and represent, compared to an allies team which Victorians don't care about beating and other states don't care about supporting because it only represents about 20 percent of their identity.

The only reason Victoria became unpopular to follow is because we knew the result was a foregone conclusion, so what's to get excited about. It's similar to in interest in the Australian team in rugby league.

Vic country would definitely love to show up the city boys and that's where the rivalry would come from.

Nobody cares about the allies because they don't represent anything. An actual state is something to be proud of and represent, compared to an allies team which Victorians don't care about beating and other states don't care about supporting because it only represents about 20 percent of their identity.
Speaking as a neutral , for me if you were rating AFL in terms of passion by state:

Victoria > SA > WA > QLD > NSW

I think as an outsider , (non Victorian), i think to be honest, the rest of Australia wouldnt care too much how a Vic Metro v Vic Country contest would go.

NSW held Country v City concept has been tried in rugby league, many times but again as an outsider, no one outside of NSW would really care about it.

If your going to have state of origin, i think it has to be a state v state concept. Once those 2 states are passionate about something, the crowds and interest will follow.

Speaking as a neutral , for me if you were rating AFL in terms of passion by state:

Victoria > SA > WA > QLD > NSW

I think as an outsider , (non Victorian), i think to be honest, the rest of Australia wouldnt care too much how a Vic Metro v Vic Country contest would go.

NSW held Country v City concept has been tried in rugby league, many times but again as an outsider, no one outside of NSW would really care about it.

If your going to have state of origin, i think it has to be a state v state concept. Once those 2 states are passionate about something, the crowds and interest will follow.

I disagree, I think for state pride in Australian football you'd go:

S.A, W.A, VIC Country, VIC Metro, QLD, NSW

Plus why do other states need to have interest in the all Vic match? It would rate high enough itself from just Victorian viewers, plus footy fans in other states wanting to watch what is pretty much an All stars match would tune in anyway. There is also the carrot of seeing who wins and therefore who your own state will match up against the following year. A game the following year of w.a v Vic metro at Optus stadium would be massive imo.

I disagree, I think for state pride in Australian football you'd go:

S.A, W.A, VIC Country, VIC Metro, QLD, NSW

Plus why do other states need to have interest in the all Vic match? It would rate high enough itself from just Victorian viewers, plus footy fans in other states wanting to watch what is pretty much an All stars match would tune in anyway. There is also the carrot of seeing who wins and therefore who your own state will match up against the following year. A game the following year of w.a v Vic metro at Optus stadium would be massive imo.
Having watched State of Origin in the mid 90's , it was a dieing concept. I reckon fans, players, coaches definitely priortized club football during a season.

One way I think you could generate more interest, is to put a bounty in terms of prize money . I do believe money can go a long way to boosting that interest. Im not sure what state players could paid back in the day. There needs to be some motivational factor for the best players wanting to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back