What's a realistic expectation for Collingwood in 2017?

Where will they finish?

• 1-4

• 5-8

• 9-12

• 12-18

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies are in an interesting position with Buckley and Pendles both stating that they should make finals. Personally, I'd be very surprised if they win enough games to make the finals.

So the question is, does Buckley get sacked if they don't make the finals?
Buckley has already said if Collingwood do not make the finals in 2017 he will resign
Seriously try to keep up

Buckley has already said if Collingwood do not make the finals in 2017 he will resign
Seriously try to keep up
Yikes that's massive news, seriously, sorry I missed that one.

Nice to hear he's playing russian roulette with the list then?

Pies are in an interesting position with Buckley and Pendles both stating that they should make finals. Personally, I'd be very surprised if they win enough games to make the finals.

I don't see us making finals but I also think Buckley needs to to keep his job. One thing I think he wont do is coach for his job. He will continue to develop the team not look for a quick fix.

Wording his key here. I don't recall Pendles or Bucks saying "we should make finals". I don't think any coach or player has actually ever said that, ever.

Bucks said it's finals or bust. Pendles said we'll be aiming to make finals (like every club in the comp).

Big difference.

Fwiw, I think 9-13 is probably likely.

The point is you used the present perfect tense...

...and to my other original point....you can get plenty of validation Buckley / Collingwood bashing on the Collingwood board, what do you get out of fishing for it from on the general board?
North Korean?

I'm kind of split on whether I even want to see finals in 2017. Finals are great and it separates you above all the other inferior teams, but I also have no faith in Buckley and I know we'll never win anything with him as coach. I think our Best 22 is very good and finals worthy but our coaching staff are incompetent and useless. Winning games is nice but for the benefit of the future, I don't care if the club doesn't play finals yet again.

I don't see us making finals but I also think Buckley needs to to keep his job. One thing I think he wont do is coach for his job. He will continue to develop the team not look for a quick fix.
He seemed to go against that by recruiting mayne, wells and dunn... Being a pies poster im sure you know more then I, but the strategy did seem at odds with what Bucks has done the last few years.

I'm kind of split on whether I even want to see finals in 2017. Finals are great and it separates you above all the other inferior teams, but I also have no faith in Buckley and I know we'll never win anything with him as coach. I think our Best 22 is very good and finals worthy but our coaching staff are incompetent and useless. Winning games is nice but for the benefit of the future, I don't care if the club doesn't play finals yet again.

So you'd rather sacrifice the performance of the team to vindicate your own opinion of Buckley's ability to coach?

This is all starting to sound very reminiscent of "Collingwood will never win a premiership chipping around the boundary line...."

So you'd rather sacrifice the performance of the team to vindicate your own opinion of Buckley's ability to coach?

This is all starting to sound very reminiscent of "Collingwood will never win a premiership chipping around the boundary line...."
I'm pretty confident I don't have any impact on the performance of the team but all I'm saying is if we miss finals, I'm chill with that because we have an up and coming list who need a better leader to take them further.

He seemed to go against that by recruiting mayne, wells and dunn... Being a pies poster im sure you know more then I, but the strategy did seem at odds with what Bucks has done the last few years.
When you look at Swan, Brown, Cloke, Toovey, MacCaffer, Frost, Marsh, Witts and Williams all moving on from the 2016 list it's a fair drain of senior players. Gault, Golds, Wyatt and Goodyear also depart but are not senior type players.

We bought in 4 kids from the draft and another 4 kids from the rookie draft. If we don't pick up some senior players in trades what's the alternative. Pick up another 3 kids from the draft in the high 60's picks and beyond. To me Dunn is an average pick but we needed something from that area of senior KPD with all of Frost, Brown and Marsh leaving. Swan retired earlier than expected because of a terrible injury and Wells seems a reasonable way to go. Mayne is meh but again with no Cloke a young Darcy Moore looks exposed so he can provide some cover there.

Do you believe going total youth and picking another 3 youngsters very late in the draft would have been a better option. Especially remembering kids that late in the draft have a low chance of making it as AFL players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh
Maine wells dunne?
If thats not coaching for your job then what is?

Huh
Maine wells dunne?
If thats not coaching for your job then what is?
Look a few posts above where I gave my opinion on that already. We bought 4 kids in by the draft, 4 kids by the rookie draft. Our 1st pick in the draft was 30. We lost a raft of senior players.

So rather than compliment the 8 kids we bought in with some senior players what would you have us do. Instead of Wells, Dunn and Mayne we could have taken pick 64 in the recent draft which we passed on and then a couple more kids in the 70's and given some of our current players a salary increase to use up the TPP that would be created. Don't think that would be wise

What's your solution?

Just read this article:

Alastair Clarkson's bold moves toy with Hawks' culture

• Caroline Wilson
Right at the end she writes:

"There is no doubt there has been upheaval at Hawthorn, however the club might try to spin it. Still, two years ago the then struggling Western Bulldogs underwent significantly greater dramas and emerged to make a mockery of the external dire predictions for their club.

At least Clarkson's current position and potential future is one of his own making. Unlike Nathan Buckley – who has been dealt another man's hand – the Hawthorn coach is playing with his own."

I don't get the last bit at all. Maybe four years ago that could be said about Buckley but not in the 2017 preseason.

Buckley is now in control of a list of his making, the Malthouse era is long gone and the Pies have made some bold moves at both the draft and trade table.

This is Buckley's team and it's time for him and that team to deliver.

Forward line has elite potential, Elliott-Moore-Fasolo-WHE-White-Cox-Mayne, if these guys play to their ability we'll win more than we lose.
It might be a little bit rich to call that forward line as having elite potential but I do think that forward line can be quite a potent one for the next few years and possibly beyond I reckon.

What all of these players you've mentioned in your forward line have is marking ability. So I think it's fair to say that all of these players are legitimate marking targets regardless of their size which is quite exciting for you guys going forward. You could also put in Crocker and De Goey as well as they are players with impressive marking ability but De Goey will probably play more midfield next year and in the future.

Think finals is realistic for you guys permitting that you have a good run with injury and your younger players such as Moore and De Goey continue to improve as well as how well your new look forward line functions.

Back