What's gone wrong with Melbourne in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Dees have to be bold and put up someone like Salem up for trade, see if they can get an early 2nd round pick for them.
Their forward line/lack of scoring potency is something that needs to be addressed in the off-season too..

Not sure Goodwin's message is getting through anymore either. The whole coaching staff need a shake up
Hahaha Salem may well win their b&f. You don't trade a guy like that

Apart from their injury issues particularly earlier in the year and apparent game plan issues trying to handball up the corridor for a lot of the season and lacking outside run...

They just seem completely devoid of confidence and spirit out there. There's no strong leadership.
I've seen a few of their games the last several weeks and there is just no real desperation or will to win...they are just jogging around, not looking interested.

Against Collingwood the other week, they were only 3 goals down with about 5 minutes to go...instead of upping the urgency and playing fast to go for the win, they still chipped it back and sideways, and when Gawn took a shot for goal he took his full 30 seconds. They don't look like they care if they lose.

Melb better make the hard call and cut Nate Jones. He is completely cooked, padding his stats with cheap outside possessions then proceeding to kick it straight back to the oppo.
It's embarrassing that he's a walk up starter in 2019

Remember a few years ago when everyone was constantly complaining about all the priority draft picks Demons were getting? Right about now was supposed to be the middle of their window. I heard people predicting a 5-10 year block where only they would win premierships. And yet, the Dees are abysmal and they cannot draw a crowd. They’re the oldest team in the comp and can’t muster more than 25,000 to a Friday night game?!?!.

Who would have picked the Lions looking closer to a premiership and long term contention than the oldest team in the comp ?

Don't forget that next time the media and some people on this forum get hysterical about something in the game.

From their older brigade all of Jones, Lewis and Hibberd need to go.

Build the squad around the below:
- Gawn
- Oliver
- Harmes

- McDonald
- Melksham

- Lever
- May
- Salem

Test the trade waters with:

- Viney. It should be him that gets moves on from the current midfield group, Brayshaw is better and Viney is essentially in his way IMO. I don't expect they would do this though.

- Brayshaw. IMO he should be kept over Viney, though he might fetch more in a trade? But then again you'd be selling low after his 2018 season.

- Petracca. Can they actually get more out of him? Rumours are around that he may like a change of scenery. If I was coaching I'd put that chubby prick on a hard diet and get him running hard early in preseason. Shed that kilos and move him into the middle. Melbourne need a dynamic midfielder desperately.

- Wiederman. Just not taking the next step like Petracca and some teams needs a KPF with potential.

I think the Dees have to be bold and put up someone like Salem up for trade, see if they can get an early 2nd round pick for them.
Their forward line/lack of scoring potency is something that needs to be addressed in the off-season too..

Not sure Goodwin's message is getting through anymore either. The whole coaching staff need a shake up

Why Salem? Practically the last player we should trade.

Stuffed with injuries and I think they will be regretting losing Hogan now and a lack of mental toughness and desire
They should keep Lewis on staff for next year to try and improve that at the club
They will bounce back in 2020 if they solve the midfield issues with Oliver, Brayshaw, Jones, Viney, Harmes and Jones like others I think they need some speed and maybe one of them above is traded and with the Hogan trade they are not afraid of trading big names

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is surely the biggest fall from grace in recent times? Unbelievable how far they've fallen in so short a time. Goodwin should clearly be sacked. Not sure what's wrong with them but I really feel for the supporters who have been through really hard times and would have felt this was the year to get excited.

We went into 2006 as premiership contenders and missed the finals.

We tore the joint up after that.

For perspective though we won 10 games and drew another and finished 10th!

Quite amazing the calm around it all. Whateley has pushed the barrow in an understated way all year. Everyone else has just ignored them after the first month or so of the season once it was clear they were done.

Two myths in the OP that require correction.

We didn’t get a heap of priority draft picks. We got two. Pick 2 and pick 17 used on Trengove and Blease.

We’re not drawing a crowd cause we are 17th and playing like utter s**t. Last year we were ranked fifth in the league for average attendance.

And from all reports, it’s been a fairly decent ski season too

Apart from their injury issues particularly earlier in the year and apparent game plan issues trying to handball up the corridor for a lot of the season and lacking outside run...

They just seem completely devoid of confidence and spirit out there. There's no strong leadership.
I've seen a few of their games the last several weeks and there is just no real desperation or will to win...they are just jogging around, not looking interested.

Against Collingwood the other week, they were only 3 goals down with about 5 minutes to go...instead of upping the urgency and playing fast to go for the win, they still chipped it back and sideways, and when Gawn took a shot for goal he took his full 30 seconds. They don't look like they care if they lose.

This , i was watching that game and said the exact same thing, the players don't care, zero effort was being put in.

Regardless of injuries, something has not looked right all year with this team.

Two myths in the OP that require correction.

We didn’t get a heap of priority draft picks. We got two. Pick 2 and pick 17 used on Trengove and Blease.

We’re not drawing a crowd cause we are 17th and playing like utter s**t. Last year we were ranked fifth in the league for average attendance.

Is that including the Frawley compensation ?

If you are honest spending 3 first round picks and sending Hogan home has set them back light years.no depth at all.

Been unlucky with lever...

And they have gotta stop drafting players from there vfl team hit the draft for 18 year olds not Wagner types

Should add it's clearly game plan

Last edited:
First four sentences could be about GWS tbf. Stop trying to deflect.

How is it trying to deflect in any shape or form? The Giants are in their third year of successive finals while being massively hit by injuries, while Melbourne last year had a once in a blue moon finals run and now they're bad again. Explain yourself please.

First four sentences could be about GWS tbf. Stop trying to deflect.
Copy pasta wasted on you.

Remember a few years ago when everyone was constantly complaining about all the draft picks and salary cap concessions the Giants and Suns were getting? Right about now was supposed to be the middle of their window. I heard people predicting a 5-10 year block where only they would win premierships. And yet, the Suns are abysmal and the Giants are a good but not great team. Who would have picked the Lions looking closer to a premiership and long term contension than either of the new teams?

Don't forget that next time the media and some people on this forum get hysterical about something in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back