What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massacre at Maddingley Park tomorrow as the BenFL will get pumped... 16 new players representing the BenFL having only 1 full training session, compared to Ballarat's 16 experienced league reps training for 5 weeks on end.

Well done to the boys representing our league - but you must feel sorry for the hiding they're about to get. BenFL board have got to take a bit of the whack we're about to get, as they only organised the coach 4 weeks ago.......enough said.

Shows how good the Bendigo Boys are. They were and are the better team on the day.. They didnt need the training as they had training with there own clubs, as people saw they had the legs to run over them..
WELL DONE BFL BOYS YOU SHOWN THE BALARAT BOYS WHAT FOOTYS ALL ABOUT AND THAT BFL IS THE BETTER LEAGUE well done

Massacre at Maddingley Park tomorrow as the BenFL will get pumped... 16 new players representing the BenFL having only 1 full training session, compared to Ballarat's 16 experienced league reps training for 5 weeks on end.

Well done to the boys representing our league - but you must feel sorry for the hiding they're about to get. BenFL board have got to take a bit of the whack we're about to get, as they only organised the coach 4 weeks ago.......enough said.

OK, OK, I admit that I got it wrong - and I will gladly go to QEO house to eat humble pie. Those bloggers here on BF who weren't thinking the same, can cast the first stone....

Good to see Ollie take on some of his own responsibility as CEO and backed it up with 3 goals. Although it was a terrific win by the boys who actually pulled on the BFL jumper, I think that the BFL still needs to prepare better for interleague footy. That is all I will say on the matter....well done again boys !

PS: Would love to get a copy of Ballarat's Courier tomorrow. Can you imagine the headlines ??

Oliver definitely kicked at least one goal. Herdman kicked 5 according to the man himself after the game.
It is interesting isn't it. A bloke that (to my knowledge) hasn't played a club game in the Bendigo League this year can actually line up for the interleague team!!!!

Still, it was a great win and yes Stormboy I for one will have a look at the Ballarat Courier website.

You should be able to see it online. Just google 'ballarat courier'.

From today's Ballarat Courier...Wonder whether this story made the back page ?? Judging by the length of the article I doubt it. Best to keep things like this from the back page. Would love to have got a copy of their paper on Friday...

Bendigo dents Ballarat's plans
24/05/2009 10:42:00 PM

BALLARAT Football League's hopes of claiming a VCFL division one title on home territory next year suffered a major setback at the hands of Bendigo on Saturday.
Arch-rival Bendigo stunned Ballarat by 21 points at Bacchus Marsh - hardly the result the Blues could afford with aspirations of being number one in the VCFL in 12 months.

Ballarat had pieced together a star-studded line-up, spoiled for choice from the league's best, and had prided itself on the commitment players had offered the past month in weekly training sessions.
The Blues were expected to win this one-off challenge match comfortably. Bendigo's struggles for player numbers and abandoned squad training sessions were well-known.

The VCFL pool B-ranked league instead opted for youth to face an imposing Ballarat - and tore apart its fancied opponent with speed. Ballarat continuously missed its chances in front of goal. While the Blues refused to drop their heads, they lacked momentum.
Bendigo could sniff victory and five unanswered goals in the final term sealed the upset.

The loss will force the BFL to regroup before it host the state's toughest country leagues from Geelong, Ovens and Murray and Goulburn Valley next year.
The league last hosted VCFL championships in 2004. The under-18 netball team was the only outfit to taste victory in the biennial Goldfields Challenge.

Comments form anyone who actually watched the game would be interesting.

Having been there and watched the game at close quarters the descriptions from Jeff Brennan were right on the money. It was probably the greatest match I have seen, great goals some wonderful marking and just committment for the jumper.

Casey Summerfield in the last quarter typified the way the game was played, a loose ball running third dived between two opponents in one of the hardest attacks on a ball I have seen and held Ballarat up on our forward line. Just unbeliveable. Anyone who thinks interleague footy is dead is joking. This game had it all, the odd fracas, which proved just how keen the boys were to fly the flag.

The big guns who pulled out would have struggled to maintain the pace. Edwards is a champion from Ballarat but late in third quarter he was clearly struggling to cope with the constant barraged of running that was confronting him. They made Ballarat look really slow. It was well worth the $40 of fuel and $10 entry price, if you are a fan of Bendigo Footy you missed out on the greatest show in at least the last decade. (including the last two BFL GFs)

anyone that watches gisborne on a weekly basis knows all too well how hard casey summerfield attacks the footy week in and week out. i even saw lance picionne back away from him in round one at kyneton. young casey was up for him and right in his face. looking forward to seeing the rolls royce playing soon. they are both hard at the ball, along with messoudi, webster, walsh,belcher, commo, etc etc. go doggies

Hopefully the poor old Bombers will disappear soon, what an embarrassing outfit. Why does the Advertiser waste so much space on these non achievers.

I'm all for providing a higher level of footy for local blokes to aspire to... but really... this Bombers side is farcical.

To drop a young bloke like Simon Weekley (who has taken his game to the next level this year) to the 2's because Essendon want to get some game time into their senior regulars (no more than 60 min mind you) doesn't sit well with locals like us who are supposed to support this arrangement?

How can Adrian Hickmott make those after-match comments with a straight face? They need to structure Bendigo VFL like Ballarat. Plain and simple. Limit the AFL listed players in your team, no matter how bad you need a win. How else are the kids supposed to get worthwhile experience in the seniors?

Bendigo lost to the 9th placed team with Laycock, Lucas, Hurley, McVeigh, Daniher, Skipworth, Prismall, Reimers playing. I don't care how much spin they try and put on it... that plainly says to me "Winning is important, but not as important as looking after our Ess list... and we'll bump your local kids in the process no matter how well they are playing". Hmmm, bring on 2010.

The Bendigo interleague side showed on the weekend that desire and youthful exuberance can prevail over a team of "all stars".

I'm all for providing a higher level of footy for local blokes to aspire to... but really... this Bombers side is farcical.

Sadly while the AFL sticks its noses into the VFL this will continue, the Bombers aren't in it to win it, they are there to get the Essendon players ready for AFL, it is an exhibition game at best and thus why I haven't been able to draw myself to the QEO for it for about 5 years to watch the Bendigo Bombers after being a member.

Has a player ever come up from the Bendigo League (or any other country league for that matter), played with the Bombers, then been drafted by an AFL Club?

Has one single player ever followed this path?

Years ago the Ovens & Murray League had an brief flirtation with an VFL team (linked to North Melbourne). The O&M administration quickly and sensibly realised it was a drain on their resources.

It seems to me the Bombers are waiting to see if Essendon will renew their commitment to this 'contact'. I don't know why people at the Bendigo end cannot come to the obvious conclusion that their is nothing in this arrangement for football in the Bendigo area and pull the pin themselves.
The Bendigo Bank and others are effectively saving Essendon the full cost of putting a seconds team on the park.

Let Essendon field their own VFL seconds - out at Windy Hill. If they (or any VFL club) want to draft the odd country player who reckons he can still make the AFL then so be it.

Has a player ever come up from the Bendigo League (or any other country league for that matter), played with the Bombers, then been drafted by an AFL Club?

Years ago the Ovens & Murray League had an brief flirtation with an VFL team (linked to North Melbourne). The O&M administration quickly and sensibly realised it was a drain on their resources.

It seems to me the Bombers are waiting to see if Essendon will renew their commitment to this 'contact'. I don't know why people at the Bendigo end cannot come to the obvious conclusion that their is nothing in this arrangement for football in the Bendigo area and pull the pin themselves.
The Bendigo Bank and others are effectively saving Essendon the full cost of putting a seconds team on the park.

Let Essendon field their own VFL seconds - out at Windy Hill. If they (or any VFL club) want to draft the odd country player who reckons he can still make the AFL then so be it.

Jarrod Atkinson went from Rumbalara in the Murray League to the Bendigo Bombers then got rookied and ultimately drafted to Essendon, only one I know of.

If memory serves me correctly, Nathan Lovett-Murray came through to Essendon starting off playing at K/Flat, then BB, then Essendon. Wouldn't call him a local though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If memory serves me correctly, Nathan Lovett-Murray came through to Essendon starting off playing at K/Flat, then BB, then Essendon. Wouldn't call him a local though.

Was when its was only senoirs! and also played twos at flat??

Skipworth, NLM and atkinson are the boys that went through plus a few rookies and some boys who trained throughout the years when knights was there.

Kyneton absolutely robbed today. Stupid umpire didn't pay a mark inside fifty to Kyneton in the dying stages. Instead he called for a ball-up with scores level, then Sanhurst eventually got the clearance, worked the ball up field into the forward line, and they kicked a behind with five seconds remaining to win the match.
I thought I'd let the dust settle on this issue before making my comments. I can understand your frustration and admit to making similar comments over the years. Others are right in saying this is 'part of football' but I have found it is much easier to be philosophical when it happens to someone else's team and not your own. Clearly a win would have mean't so much to Kyneton.

Others are also totally correct in saying we should not bash umpires. However, I think we can make constructive comments and this is the light in which the following comments are made.

I have watch Bendigo umpires over a number of decades and I think some (not all) of them are just 'too technical'. They 'over umpire' . A game cannot flow if a high number of free kicks are given. Players and supporters are mostly likely to get upset when soft free kicks are given in front of goal and umpires are over zealous in handing out 50 metre penalties. I presume it is an endeavour to stamp their authority.

I emphasize these comments are intended to be constructive as the game cannot survive without umpires and those that do it are to be commended.
In summary if Bendigo umpires could be less technical, that is just try and pay only the obvious free kicks, I think they would be better umpires.

As an aside to these comments, some of the older ones (like myself) may remember 'China O'Grady' playing for Castlemaine years ago. To be blunt China was a ratbag - very colourful but a ratbag. China didn't need a road map to find his way to the tribunal. To the amazement of all he took up umpiring and was guite a good umpire. Afterall he knew every trick in the book himself and was quite familar with both sides of the rules. I think China was the only umpire in the history of the game that actually thrived on being abused.

I remember after China finished umpiring he went back to playing again for Castlemaine seconds. In a game I watched against South Bendigo seconds he didn't endure himself to the umpire by hiding the football during a brawl. Later in the game he got himself reported again!

Perhaps people down Castlemaine way could talk China into umpiring again.

I thought I'd let the dust settle on this issue before making my comments. I can understand your frustration and admit to making similar comments over the years. Others are right in saying this is 'part of football' but I have found it is much easier to be philosophical when it happens to someone else's team and not your own. Clearly a win would have mean't so much to Kyneton.

Others are also totally correct in saying we should not bash umpires. However, I think we can make constructive comments and this is the light in which the following comments are made.

I have watch Bendigo umpires over a number of decades and I think some (not all) of them are just 'too technical'. They 'over umpire' . A game cannot flow if a high number of free kicks are given. Players and supporters are mostly likely to get upset when soft free kicks are given in front of goal and umpires are over zealous in handing out 50 metre penalties. I presume it is an endeavour to stamp their authority.

I emphasize these comments are intended to be constructive as the game cannot survive without umpires and those that do it are to be commended.
In summary if Bendigo umpires could be less technical, that is just try and pay only the obvious free kicks, I think they would be better umpires.

As an aside to these comments, some of the older ones (like myself) may remember 'China O'Grady' playing for Castlemaine years ago. To be blunt China was a ratbag - very colourful but a ratbag. China didn't need a road map to find his way to the tribunal. To the amazement of all he took up umpiring and was guite a good umpire. Afterall he knew every trick in the book himself and was quite familar with both sides of the rules. I think China was the only umpire in the history of the game that actually thrived on being abused.

I remember after China finished umpiring he went back to playing again for Castlemaine seconds. In a game I watched against South Bendigo seconds he didn't endure himself to the umpire by hiding the football during a brawl. Later in the game he got himself reported again!

Perhaps people down Castlemaine way could talk China into umpiring again.
To be clear I am talking about the early 1970's with the above comments.

You say that some Bendigo Umpires pay too many free kicks, how many do they pay and what is the correct number of free kicks that should be payed in a game?

Big week in footy this week, some good games coming up with all games looking to be competitive. No blow-outs?

KFlat v Strath
Maryb v Kyneton
Sandhurst v South
Gissy v Eaglehawk
Square v Castlemaine

KFlat v Strath
Maryb v Kyneton
Sandhurst v South
Gissy v Eaglehawk
Square v Castlemaine

First two games are interesting, the other three tip themselves.

I realise this is just 'pub talk' but who are the 'teams looking to be pushed out' presumably in the Ballarat League which Gisborne will replace?

Where are those clubs going?

Get the local papers this weekend and see how much of it is pub talk. The sky is falling as Gissy will enjoy there final fews months in this league. Hooray for Gissy V Sunba!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back