Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
And the off season threads begin.

Seriously, where are all the Aussie Rules biopics? Movies are cheaper than every to produce and market now and Australia has the talent to produce some great AFL movies, yet, they just don't seem to exist. Yes, we get some movies about the local leagues with footy as a theme, but where are the pics about real life events that happened in the actual AFL?

I for one would love a movie based on the Essendon Saga, there is so much juice there (no pun attended) that it could even be a limited Netflix series. The Western Bulldogs flag could get the screen treatment too.

Why don't we see AFL biopics? And what are some great ideas for some?

Seriously, where are all the Aussie Rules biopics? Movies are cheaper than every to produce and market now and Australia has the talent to produce some great AFL movies, yet, they just don't seem to exist. Yes, we get some movies about the local leagues with footy as a theme, but where are the pics about real life events that happened in the actual AFL?

I for one would love a movie based on the Essendon Saga, there is so much juice there (no pun attended) that it could even be a limited Netflix series. The Western Bulldogs flag could get the screen treatment too.

Not strictly AFL but there is a footy movie called The Merger in cinemas at the moment. Haven't seen it but it has quite good reviews.

This whole thing was on YouTube at some point. Slightly different, but one of the best documentaries I have seen.

Americans do the Sports movies best...but they have a much bigger market than Australia.

Whenever i see an AFL style movie it is usually some type of lame arse comedy

Yeah come to think there haven't been any, but haven't seen many Aussie sports biopics in general. I remember one on Dawn Fraser and the Don. Gaz senior would definitely merit one, including his post footy life, though dunno how pleased he would be with the idea lol. Maybe Carey too? Or some characters like Mark Jacko Jackson lol. Jim Stynes' story seems made for something like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back