Where are the Western Bulldogs at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our real test will be WestCoast. If we can manage to beat them we've improved on last year.
It’ll really be a line in the sand game that will define who you’re really about and where you’re at and where you’re going in the not too distant future.

Just grab those opportunities with both hands is my advice.

Hit the nail on the head the A graders they have are the best of the best.

The bottom 12 or so they trot out every week is ******* horrendous.

They need more B grade talent they lack it desperately.

I think you could argue that our bottom 12 isn't materially worse than a lot of other clubs, they're just hampered by a horrendous gameplan and sub-standard coaching in general.

Although it doesn't help when established AFL players are being left on the pine in favour of VFL plodders, which does make the list of bottom 6-12 players objectively worse, to your point.

I'd be fairly confident that the team would be top 6 in the comp were we to swop coaches with almost any other team, as others wouldn't keep trotting out the same, boring and inept approach to offense and defense. The top end talent is on par with almost any other team, and good coaching, team selection and preparation should give you the rest. It might not be a flag-winning list, but it should be substantively better than the s**t that's being trotted out for the last two and a bit seasons now.

But we won't see it until there's a change of coach, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

Seems fairly straightforward that they do everything to get Simpson, who is still a good coach but past his use by date in the west. He'd instantly have this list pushing top 6 minimum.

I see the dogs as the Tottenham hotspur of the AFL
6 or 7 really good players and then a bunch of average players
People bang on about their "List" but it's a list that's never finished top 4.
So it's 1 of 2 things.
Either the list is over-rated or it's the coach not being able to get everything out of said list.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In theory, they look quite nice with the tall forwards running around, good rucks and mids, half back dash.

In reality they seem easily overwhelmed.

I see the dogs as the Tottenham hotspur of the AFL
6 or 7 really good players and then a bunch of average players
People bang on about their "List" but it's a list that's never finished top 4.
So it's 1 of 2 things.
Either the list is over-rated or it's the coach not being able to get everything out of said list.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think it’s both the list isn’t as good as everyone makes it out to be and the coach isn’t getting the best out of them tbh.

Their bottom 6 are battlers. Khamis, vandeemeer, west, lobb, McNeil, Coffield are all pretty average. (From yesterdays game)

I don’t think naughton will ever be an all aus chf/ff. I think he could be an AA chb.

Still got the best player in league (bont), and Darcy waiting in the wings. And ugle hagan about to hit his straps.

They really should be a top 8 side. They’ll probably end up making it. But it’s clear that bevos time is up

15 clubs are pushing for top 8 spots. It is inevitable that the bottom portion of those 15 clubs will have bad days but also good days too.

They've got one of the best lists in the league and have done for a few years now.

I think this is a bit of a myth.

Their top end is arguably as good as any, but it falls away very quickly. Their depth is horrendous and has been for years.

They’re fielding multiple players each week who should be nowhere near AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naughton to me could be the best KPD of all time. Certainly in the conversation. Better than Scarlett and better than Rance...for mine these 2 are standouts in the modern era. Dench, Southby, Silvagni, Jackovich...he can overtake all of them.

HOWEVER...

He doesn't play back. Bevo continues to play him as the go to KPF. I just don't get it. Been saying it for years now, play Naughton down back and he will dominate. He will set up so many plays from defense and would rarely get beaten.

I just don't get it myself.

I think this is a bit of a myth.

Their top end is arguably as good as any, but it falls away very quickly. Their depth is horrendous and has been for years.

They’re fielding multiple players each week who should be nowhere near AFL level.
Of the round 1 team
L. Bramble, B.Williams, L.McNeil, R.West, N. Coffield, H. Callagher and Khamis would be their worst. Even then Williams, McNeil and West are handy players. Bramble was among their best so probably better than Im aware.
And No Macrae. Naughton should go back but Bevo is too stubborn. Lobb can roam up to a wing and work back that's where he's most handy imo. From 40m and out. Now that I say all that, what's player 24-30 like?

-work ethic is not up to the level of top teams.
-structure issues
-game plan
-aging midfield
-ball easily rebound f50 (been issue for years)
-limited goal avenue (mostly from set shots), cant generate running goals. or ground level goals

Last edited:
is like gc, needs a good coach to get the most out of the list. A ross lyon will be great.

Where do you start?

The Dogs have one absolute gun in Bont. A few game winners here and there, e.g. JUH. After that a lot of plodders. But the bottom 6-8 who run out each week are just not up to AFL standard. Vandermeer, McNeil, these types will never cut it.

Over the ground they are too slow, and they seriously lack the mongrel necessary to be a top side. And what is the actual game plan? Blokes running towards goal handball to a bloke in front of them so that they have to turn around to take possession. What is that garbage? Coaching department needs an overall top to bottom.

Will contest for the bottom 4 positions with North, WCE and Hawthorn.

Need to transform Naughton into Danny Del Re. Naughton is like Peter Sumich at his worst. Suma would still kick 7.9 or 8.8 or some bullshit but Naughton is like a 17 year old virgin Pimply Faced Pizza Delivery Driver.

He just doesn't deliver. Or his end product goes to the wrong avenue.

Last edited:
They've got one of the best lists in the league and have done for a few years now. They've gone stale and Bevo needs to go. Only hurting his chances of another gig at this point, should be want it.
Footy fans have to stop telling themselves this. There’s more to a good list than midfielders and tall forwards.

Key defenders - average to poor
Small/general defenders - average to poor
Wingers - absolutely terrible
Small forwards - terrible

How can anyone look at the 23 they put out every week and believe this list should be competing? They have at best a list that should be competing for finals and that’s where they’ve been for a while.

Footy fans have to stop telling themselves this. There’s more to a good list than midfielders and tall forwards.

Key defenders - average to poor
Small/general defenders - average to poor
Wingers - absolutely terrible
Small forwards - terrible

How can anyone look at the 23 they put out every week and believe this list should be competing? They have at best a list that should be competing for finals and that’s where they’ve been for a while.
Collingwood had about 2 changes to its average and final fielded best 22 from 2021 (17th place) to 2022 (4th place).

Collingwood had about 2 changes to its average and final fielded best 22 from 2021 (17th place) to 2022 (4th place).
A side that has competed well for the previous three years before ‘21. Granted the Bulldogs played off in a grand final in 2021, it’s the only year they’ve come anywhere within sight of competing since 2016. And they still didn’t make top four. The Bulldogs have never made top four on the ladder under Beveridge; any argument that they have a top 4 list now or even at all in the last 10 years is not very strong.

Collingwood had a significantly more balanced list. Better in every position I listed earlier. Obviously poorer with tall forwards and in ruck.

You’re not finding a Collingwood-like resurgence with your list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back