Preview Where will the crows finish in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's a lot of debate between the glass half full and half empty brigade around here, especially in the draft and trade thread.

Some are saying our recent poor record, missing finals 4 out of 5 years is where we are at.

Some are saying that 2012 was good, this year was unlucky, we have a good young side and management and its going to result in improvement next year.

Then the parties just argue.

Put it on the line, say now where you think we'll finish and see who has the last laugh in a years time.

Here's my prediction.

I don't think I'm on record anywhere about 2014 as I was on a self imposed exile from bigfooty so, you'll just have to trust my honesty here, but I had us between 4th and 10th. I expected us to be 5th. So I was pretty dissapointed that we finished on the bottom end of my range and nowhere near 5th.

For the forthcoming season, I believe we could range anywhere from 3rd, with another spike and playing group engaged again, down to even lower than my range for this year perhaps 12th with all things being the same (ie walsh not being a magic cure, we were already getting as much out of the players as possible) and the loss of rutten, otten and a harder draw. My prediction will be for us to be 6th. I think we'll do better and I believe we have a talented group, I am cautious though as we are a young and inexperienced team and we'll have fades and lapses through the season because of it. Not much depth in key defense or ruck is also worrying.

New game style, strategy and ball movement to be implemented will probably take time for the team to become cohesive. Think we may have some difficulty adjusting at the start of the season. Hoping we start kicking it into gear by the midway stage and then come home with a wet sail with momentum. 7th

8th

Slight improvement due to a surge from young players such as Grigg, Kerridge and the Crouch brothers who thrive under Walsh's tactical nous. Still big dramas in defence leading to one terrible quarter per game on average though.

If we have a good run with injury, top 4.

If we have an average/poor run with injury, 8-12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we have a good run with injuries then 6th or 7th. Otherwise we will be fighting for 8th spot next to a few other teams.

Really hope Walshy comes out with a really defined game plan and builds some early season momentum. Just look at our 2012 start. The NAB cup and the early few rounds our players started to come out of their shells. Then we carried that momentum on to destroy Carlton and Geelong and even beat Sydney & Freo. The early season momentum also did wonders for Port at the start of 2013 when they were just starting to get their s**t together. Come out strong and anything could happen.

If the following happens:

No major injuries
Younger players (Hartigan, Grigg, Lyons, Kerridge, Laird, Jets) take the next step
Proper coaching

4th-6th

I honestly think we have the top end talent and expect the younger players to thrive under Walsh. Also the team first, blocking for players, will allow our guns to flourish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back