News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

2 Vic teams.
A Vic team which finished higher than the other team.
The other team is from WA and the Premier refused to allow a non WA team from flying in without 2 weeks isolation.

Plenty of possible ways.
if the situation in 4 months is that the GF has to be moved, there won't be any more football played in Victoria this year.

Lol BT and Haim calling out "players" for not being open to going away to play in a hub ...hmmm wonder who they're referring to ?

Really the fact that now even the games laimest football commentators are even feeling like they have to speak out just goes to show how ridiculous and out of touch cotchin and paddy really are

The entire finals series should be announced as being hosted in a hub now. It would allow all clubs some surety in planning and fan expectation. I don’t think it is a big deal where the hub is, they just should announce it now including accomodations and training venues for non-resident teams.

It may be irresponsible to continue to entertain regular interstate travel and unrestricted crowds. Just announce all finals will be in a hub.

Depends which teams are looking good close to finals.
If Gold Coast, Brisbane, Giants are up near the top then I doubt they do it in Perth or Adelaide.

Whilst on the topic, the other night I saw McGowan on the news ranting about how Perth is the best and has a 'substantially' bigger stadium than Adelaide. Optus gets 59k in for finals, AO gets 53k, where does he get this substantially bigger crap from?

It's like this: the extra 6k is 10.16% of 59k. Now if I got a 10.16% pay rise, I'd be saying I got a substantial pay rise. (Maybe even, I got a huge pay rise) :)

It won't matter what the Covid situation is at the time I guarantee the Victorian Government and the AFL find a way for it to be played in Victoria. They know once it gets moved even for one year it weakens their hold on it.

bid for the GF? ha ha ha
more chance the MCC will have to subcontract the GF out to a stadium that can actually hold the GF to honour their contract to the AFL.

They can honour their contract by having the GF at the MCG. There is no compulsion to move it. If the AFL elects to seek to break the contract I'm sure the MCC/Vic govt will be happy to agree as long as they get something coming back their way. Even if not financial, I would imagine they will be asking for an extension on the contract. Maybe not until 2077 but at least until 2062.

The entire finals series should be announced as being hosted in a hub now. It would allow all clubs some surety in planning and fan expectation. I don’t think it is a big deal where the hub is, they just should announce it now including accomodations and training venues for non-resident teams.

It may be irresponsible to continue to entertain regular interstate travel and unrestricted crowds. Just announce all finals will be in a hub.

#finalsvichub

You know it will happen 😂

The NRL Grand Final fails to sell out most years despite ticket prices significantly less than the AFL Grand Final. You can easily buy tickets in the days leading up to it. I can't see ANZ Stadium selling out unless tickets are cheap.

Optus Stadium would easily sell out with an average ticket price of $500. At an average price of $500, ANZ Stadium wouldn't sell out for a GWS vs Sydney GF.

Adelaide Oval would sell out, but wouldn't be able to charge as much per ticket as in Perth. Perth has double the population and much more wealth.
Spot on the only time nsw ever sells out a sporting event is for origin they would be lucky to half fill it for the afl unless they opened there borders up to Victoria Homebush is a very average stadium anyway no atmosphere whatsoever Perth buy far the best option it might only hold 60,000 at least it’s a fit for purpose world class stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney, what a better way to hit the AFL’s biggest growing market.

Both WA clubs are rubbish and with WA saying they won’t open their borders until COVID-19 is 100% gone from the country, cancel Perth out.

SA, NSW and Qld all have at least one club that are a chance of making it

The upgrades to Marvel Stadium precinct and proposed MCG precinct upgrades benefit the whole AFL by making it financially stronger going forward, not just Victorians.

Extra training sessions were allocated. The AFL promised charter flights for GF teams and delivered, the subsidised flights for fans was an idea on here being thrown around, not an AFL promise.
<<<
WINNERS — CARLTON, MELBOURNE, COLLINGWOOD, ST KILDA AND THE WESTERN BULLDOGS

Some $242 million of the state government package is heading to smaller grounds for improvements and the addition of women’s facilities.

Carlton has gained the most, with $20 million to be spent redeveloping their traditional home of Ikon Park and turn it into the home of women’s footy.

St Kilda’s Moorabbin Oval will gain $13 million for its Stage 2 redevelopment, with their AFLW side to play at the ground from 2020.

Casey Fields and Whitten Oval, home grounds for Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs in AFLW respectively, will share $10 million, while the Dogs also gain from money to be spent on Mars Stadium in Ballarat.

The Magpies’ spiritual home of Victoria Park receives $2 million.>>>

Wouldnt they just put on extra flights just as they do to Melbourne on GF week? Don’t think that would be a big issue.
But don’t really know either as it’s never happened. Who really knows mate.
But if by some chance it was in Perth I have no doubt that those who can go and want to go will be able to get here.

If they put on the same extra flights as they do to Melbourne, you get...The same result as you do with a Melb GF.

There is no problem, the border is closed, no-one can come anyway. It will be the peoples* grand final.

*people of WA

a) That puts paid to the economic argument, which was what I was responding to.
b) It exposes the hypocrisy of the people saying it's being done 'for the fans'.
c) the same problems would exist even in 'normal' years.

<<<
WINNERS — CARLTON, MELBOURNE, COLLINGWOOD, ST KILDA AND THE WESTERN BULLDOGS

Some $242 million of the state government package is heading to smaller grounds for improvements and the addition of women’s facilities.

Carlton has gained the most, with $20 million to be spent redeveloping their traditional home of Ikon Park and turn it into the home of women’s footy.

St Kilda’s Moorabbin Oval will gain $13 million for its Stage 2 redevelopment, with their AFLW side to play at the ground from 2020.

Casey Fields and Whitten Oval, home grounds for Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs in AFLW respectively, will share $10 million, while the Dogs also gain from money to be spent on Mars Stadium in Ballarat.

The Magpies’ spiritual home of Victoria Park receives $2 million.>>>
And Marvel got $225M
WINNER - AFL

If not in Melbourne because "tradition" I reckon it will be at Optus Stadium because they can get 60,000 people in and most importantly the WA govt will dangle a lucrative financial carrot to get it across.
The WA govt has said they won’t open the borders to any state if Covid-19 is still in Victoria or elsewhere in the country. Teams won’t be able to fly in for the Grand Final without having 14 days isolation. This will make a GF in Perth very difficult.

Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane should have crowds by grand final time. Those states will have borders open for sporting teams at least

The WA govt has said they won’t open the borders to any state if Covid-19 is still in Victoria or elsewhere in the country. Teams won’t be able to fly in for the Grand Final without having 14 days isolation. This will make a GF in Perth very difficult.

Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane should have crowds by grand final time. Those states will have borders open for sporting teams at least
Assuming the general covid situation has showed strong improvement by then, I can't see Mcgowan letting an opportunity like that slide based on some of his rhetoric of late. Last I heard the SA government have ruled out having teams stay there in a hub so I'm not sure how much more likely they'd be to want to host it than WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back