Strategy Which changes do we make at seasons end? (coaching, rec, dev, admin?)

What changes do we make at seasons end?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep Buckley, burns, Harvey, Sanderson.

Get rid of Lockyer, rocca.

Serious review of recruiting, however wells/Maine aside, this has improved in recent years.

A clean out doesn't mean things get better. Let's stop being a thickle mob and not turn into a Richmond that talks about sacking coaches every 3 years.
Bit rough on Rocca and lockyer who love the club and are only being paid as part timers.

Said it elsewhere:

Gubby back as CEO
Walsh as Football Operations manager
Maxy back as Player welfare/leadership/development role
Brendan McCartney in as Player development/VFL coach
Paul Hood in as player development coach
Tapping and Nicks in as assistant coaches (game day roles/tacticians)
Rendell takes over List management
Brett Ratten (AFL coach)
Every thing you say except that Brad Scott takes over as AFL coach and Rivers keeps his job as VFL coach.

Bit rough on Rocca and lockyer who love the club and are only being paid as part timers.

That why it is not up to us on here because we only see part of the picture.

I would like to see an independent review on all levels of the club, held from a respected person whether that is Parkin, Roos, Mathews etc or maybe get it from all 3 and see if there is any common denominators from the 3 reports.

My biggest issue with Gubby was our end of year deals.
Apparantly he was red Hot on Mayne.
He did dispense with various ball butchers so tick there.

Just the Whitfield thing, the deal making at trade time might just be sigalling he's not what he once was.

But Leigh's choice as right hand man does make feel bualk yes.

Bit I think Pert should be moved on, and Mr McGuire should also be going to the general membership seats.

But ofcourse none of this will happen and this time next year, whoever is in our coaches seat well still be asking questions.
If Mayne actually got a go and was playing in the AFL team we might actually be able to form a judgement on how good he is. Same with some other players such as Reid who were mysteriously left out of the team.

If Mayne actually got a go and was playing in the AFL team we might actually be able to form a judgement on how good he is. Same with some other players such as Reid who were mysteriously left out of the team.
Perhaps so.
Unsure his VFL form has been stellar.
But if he does becomes fine footballer for us, all power to him.

To answer the question of why I'd ask is his continued interference helping? I'd then say because football department matters don't fall under the auspices of the CEO role despite his football background. To be blunt it appears he doesn't understand the difference between administration and football areas within a sporting club.

Given his football background if he wants to step down from the role of CEO, take a pay cut and be involved in football decisions I'd consider it on it's merits. The reality is in his current role he has no place in football matters. As Ross Lyon says let the baker bake the bread :thumbsu:

Edit: in relation to Ed I believe Queenie Hearts is the best suited to comment on where he fits in, but from my perspective the lack of governance has become a serious issue. The captains picks of board members, CEO's and coaches needs to stop for him to continue to hold office. I also need to stress that I'm not a voting member so I'm as stron in my judgement in the same way I am with Pert et al because my membership pays their wage.

The question was who does a better job as president than Ed? I would argue lots of other people can and do at other clubs now enjoying success. This for me is beside the point.

It is always harder to be objective about and challenge your own past decisions.

Take for example, the Board's decision to have the transition plan from Mick to Bucks. It has been clear for some time that this did not work. Generously, let's say in late 2016 it became apparent. Eddie as the President is the most accountable for this decision and we have been waiting for some acknowledgment that this decision was wrong. It is human nature not to want to admit mistakes even with the best of intentions. Rationalisations occur and you can remain overly optimistic that things will improve. After a period unhealthy group think can occur with the absence of outside views. This leads to more poor decisions.

For this reason, best practice governance across the world has determined that there be maximum tenure for Board Directors. Even the greatest of Chairpersons at the best companies in the world know that they are there for a limited time . They are better able to make good decisions now in the best interests of the organisation if they are not worried about overturning their own previous decisions as the ego is not involved nor is there any risk to their personal professional reputations.

The Board is where it all starts as it is their role to appoint the CEO and set the strategy. It is important that directors have the right mix of skills and experience for the time and the relevant market so that strategic decisions are made with a view of the current and emerging market. Having directors there for such a long period can often leave companies open to disruption from new competitive threats.

The competition has moved and changed over the last 18 years and even more so over the last 6. With so little Board renewal and what there is of it done through the use of a loophole in the Club's Articles of Association (casual vacancies can be filled and then confirmed at the AGM), the club has fallen behind in the market and not kept pace with those changes. Even St Kilda has introduced maximum tenure this year and there are now better governance processes at Essendon and Carlton following their disaster years. To be a professional club you need to know what one looks like, and others who have adopted this approach will pass us by on and off the field,

The Gubby Allan affair shows us we still are operating in an old school fashion. Lack of role clarity was one of the major criticisms coming out of the Essendon saga with major consequences for players and club.

We need to put in place the basics just to keep up now and step one needs to be to replace those directors who have been there way too long which includes Ed. It's not personal; it's just time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The question was who does a better job as president than Ed? I would argue lots of other people can and do at other clubs now enjoying success. This for me is beside the point.

It is always harder to be objective about and challenge your own past decisions.

Take for example, the Board's decision to have the transition plan from Mick to Bucks. It has been clear for some time that this did not work. Generously, let's say in late 2016 it became apparent. Eddie as the President is the most accountable for this decision and we have been waiting for some acknowledgment that this decision was wrong. It is human nature not to want to admit mistakes even with the best of intentions. Rationalisations occur and you can remain overly optimistic that things will improve. After a period unhealthy group think can occur with the absence of outside views. This leads to more poor decisions.

For this reason, best practice governance across the world has determined that there be maximum tenure for Board Directors. Even the greatest of Chairpersons at the best companies in the world know that they are there for a limited time . They are better able to make good decisions now in the best interests of the organisation if they are not worried about overturning their own previous decisions as the ego is not involved nor is there any risk to their personal professional reputations.

The Board is where it all starts as it is their role to appoint the CEO and set the strategy. It is important that directors have the right mix of skills and experience for the time and the relevant market so that strategic decisions are made with a view of the current and emerging market. Having directors there for such a long period can often leave companies open to disruption from new competitive threats.

The competition has moved and changed over the last 18 years and even more so over the last 6. With so little Board renewal and what there is of it done through the use of a loophole in the Club's Articles of Association (casual vacancies can be filled and then confirmed at the AGM), the club has fallen behind in the market and not kept pace with those changes. Even St Kilda has introduced maximum tenure this year and there are now better governance processes at Essendon and Carlton following their disaster years. To be a professional club you need to know what one looks like, and others who have adopted this approach will pass us by on and off the field,

The Gubby Allan affair shows us we still are operating in an old school fashion. Lack of role clarity was one of the major criticisms coming out of the Essendon saga with major consequences for players and club.

We need to put in place the basics just to keep up now and step one needs to be to replace those directors who have been there way too long which includes Ed. It's not personal; it's just time.

So.....Queenie for Pres I say.....very impressed.

So.....Queenie for Pres I say.....very impressed.

Thanks Robroy, that's a very kind comment.

I have loved this club since I was 5 years old and I would happily do anything I could to help us succeed. I stay until the final siren every week no matter how hard it is. I believe to feel the highs, I need to stay the course and feel the lows. Lately, it has been a test of strength!

To the extent my particular professional experience can be useful for a post on a forum in the dark times, am happy to continue to contribute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonathan Brown as a forward coach would be a good addition imo, just not sure whether he's living in Melbourne full time these days.

Sure he doesn't come across as the most analytical bloke, but knows what a good forward line should be doing, has been part of sustained success and would be a strong voice unlike some.

I think we need a president who would treat their role like any president of any organisation. Someone who isn't a Collingwood fan and wont have bias when making decisions.

The best coaches and operators in the AFL haven't been past players of that club. It prevents an inbred culture from developing (boys club). I wouldn't mind Kelly but if we could get someone from somewhere else with a great record then sweet.

I love what Eddie has done for us apart from the last six years but we have to let go of "he saved the club". Brayshaw did that with North, he took them out of depth and now they have 50 000 members. It doesn't mean they owe him that position for as long as he wanted it. Eddie isn't the best available in Australia.

I would love Luke Hodge coming on board as possibly a development coach. He would teach the young players exactly what you want a development coach to do. From an external point of view I think he will fantastic for us.

Jonathan Brown as a forward coach would be a good addition imo, just not sure whether he's living in Melbourne full time these days.

Sure he doesn't come across as the most analytical bloke, but knows what a good forward line should be doing, has been part of sustained success and would be a strong voice unlike some.
To think I've been a big fan of your posts Shizzler.
YDtpX2K.gif

Why are people keem on brad scott. North is coming 17th on the ladder and actually have key position players and cant win a close on with them.

Why are people keem on brad scott. North is coming 17th on the ladder and actually have key position players and cant win a close on with them.

The only people who are keen are the media with a tenuous link because he has previously coached at Collingwood.

I will spew if Brad Scott was let anywhere near our club

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need a president who would treat their role like any president of any organisation. Someone who isn't a Collingwood fan and wont have bias when making decisions.

The best coaches and operators in the AFL haven't been past players of that club. It prevents an inbred culture from developing (boys club). I wouldn't mind Kelly but if we could get someone from somewhere else with a great record then sweet.

I love what Eddie has done for us apart from the last six years but we have to let go of "he saved the club". Brayshaw did that with North, he took them out of depth and now they have 50 000 members. It doesn't mean they owe him that position for as long as he wanted it. Eddie isn't the best available in Australia.

I would love Luke Hodge coming on board as possibly a development coach. He would teach the young players exactly what you want a development coach to do. From an external point of view I think he will fantastic for us.

100% Agree that we are TOO COLLINGWOOD

Back