Strategy Which changes do we make at seasons end? (coaching, rec, dev, admin?)

What changes do we make at seasons end?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The two positions that l see as definately changing will obviously be Bucks as senior coach. I hope they can entice Roos to come on board for 3 years.
I also think Hine will be removed from his role and hopefully we can get a Graham Wright to come on board.
The new coach will make a decision on the assistants you would think, so all those currently in the positions are potentially on shaky ground.

Buckley is gone. Terrible coach and there is no way he survives now. Assistants go as well, we need new ideas and new faces now.

I think it's time for Eddie to go now as well. 6 years of getting worse every year is unacceptable and no president of any organisation survives after those stats.

We are a bottom 2 side with no improvements shown, even Brisbane look like they are on the way up.

Agreed; sounded like the "tipping point" was a concession that "I don't have the playing groups belief anymore"
Not sure that's what was the intent.
More about him saying, it hasn't quite worked out.

All the results this year, all losses have been maximum 6 goals most within 4 goals, emphatically, says to me, the group is playing for each other and the coach.

Not sure that's what was the intent.
More about him saying, it hasn't quite worked out.

All the results this year, all losses have been maximum 6 goals most within 4 goals, emphatically, says to me, the group is playing for each other and the coach.

There is something in that we don't really get blown away, that's something considering we are a bottom side.

A few years later when Lethal was set the task of making the Bears relevant he chose Gubby as his right hand man resulting in 3 flags going North.
Those flags are a result of HQ getting their wish and combining 2 teams to make an unbeatable list of on top of salary cap concessions so that a non footy state would have a premiership for the purpose of trying to grow the game in foreign territory. Not to mention they had a legend coach by the name of Leigh Matthews

Sure Gubby did have an impact but minuscule in comparison to the takeover engineered by the league, and after the Whitfield / Mayne and Wells debacle I surely would rather have Walshy in the job - IMV Gubby you're not welcome

I'm going to post what Leigh Matthews said pretty much yesterday after the game.

(And yes, as has been pointed out, I do like Leigh Matthews.)

The Club and Nathan Buckley will do one of three things:

• Nathan will fall on his sword
  • The Club will determine, even without having a replacement in mind, that a change is needed.
  • The Club will reappoint the coach.
Leigh is leaning to option one, Nathan falling on his sword, as the most likely outcome.

He mentioned it's impossible to know if a coach is getting the best from a group or someone could even do better. From within the Club he says it's impossible to know let alone from outside.

He went on. All you have are the numbers. And as you know the numbers are not good.

What I love about Leigh, without fanfare, hype, he just cuts through.

A true lengend of football and our club too.
It's a great pity that Channel 7's Director of Football doesn't agree with you. Instead of Leigh's sage insights, we get the Richo, Lingy and Wayne Carey peanut gallery. Carey offers something, but the other two mostly give us what we already know.

Would you believe me if i told you he often inserts himself into the selection committee also !! He approached players , especially the leaders, after a couple of successive losses and gives them instruction. He walks , uninvited, into coaches meetings and tells them how to coach and into players meetings and tells them how to play. This guy is a narcissist and cannot see the damage he creates as he truly believes his opinion is the gospel. He would sit well at Trumpy's dinner table.

I initially read this as thinking you were talking about Neil the bootstudder.

Funny stuff! :D

According to Pert in a pre-match interview on SEN before the Saints match he is a member of the list management team. Amazingly I believe it's a somewhat common practice given comments from Jon Ralph earlier this year about the composition of list management teams in general.
I'd personally have no issue with the list management team briefing the CEO at certain times because it could create further accountability, but to have an administrator actively involved in Footy matters is bonkers.

Why? Pert's position is somewhat different to the usual I'd suggest. He's played footy at the highest level very successfully. Most CEOs are not of that footy pedigree. He's also run some very big companies such as Channel 9 and MMM. I don't think Pertie is the problem at Collingwood. Eddie isn't the problem either. I understand the rush to the guillotine by some, but seriously, who does a better job than Eddie as President? Nobody as far as I can see. Ed stays. Pert may decide to move on, but he's presided over a stable administration that makes a profit year after year. That's a rarity in AFL clubs. As for cleaning out everybody, let's wait for the results of the independent review. There's only one certainty as far as I can see and it's one I've been banging on about for a long time; our list stinks.

Why? Pert's position is somewhat different to the usual I'd suggest. He's played footy at the highest level very successfully. Most CEOs are not of that footy pedigree. He's also run some very big companies such as Channel 9 and MMM. I don't think Pertie is the problem at Collingwood. Eddie isn't the problem either. I understand the rush to the guillotine by some, but seriously, who does a better job than Eddie as President? Nobody as far as I can see. Ed stays. Pert may decide to move on, but he's presided over a stable administration that makes a profit year after year. That's a rarity in AFL clubs. As for cleaning out everybody, let's wait for the results of the independent review. There's only one certainty as far as I can see and it's one I've been banging on about for a long time; our list stinks.

To answer the question of why I'd ask is his continued interference helping? I'd then say because football department matters don't fall under the auspices of the CEO role despite his football background. To be blunt it appears he doesn't understand the difference between administration and football areas within a sporting club.

Given his football background if he wants to step down from the role of CEO, take a pay cut and be involved in football decisions I'd consider it on it's merits. The reality is in his current role he has no place in football matters. As Ross Lyon says let the baker bake the bread :thumbsu:

Edit: in relation to Ed I believe Queenie Hearts is the best suited to comment on where he fits in, but from my perspective the lack of governance has become a serious issue. The captains picks of board members, CEO's and coaches needs to stop for him to continue to hold office. I also need to stress that I'm not a voting member so I'm as stron in my judgement in the same way I am with Pert et al because my membership pays their wage.

Last edited:
It's a great pity that Channel 7's Director of Football doesn't agree with you. Instead of Leigh's sage insights, we get the Richo, Lingy and Wayne Carey peanut gallery. Carey offers something, but the other two mostly give us what we already know.
And throw in BT and Basil it's almost as if they are asking their audience to switch off.
They so lucky the game is better than the worst of the commentators.

Leigh is gold as he is very precise and has cut through.
But they will persist with some good blokey type and think it works better.
Lucky the game itself over rides their commentary

The list is very medium level and remains so.
That's the nub right there.
Whilst I think the president role should not be for life, nonetheless regardless of the head cheerleader, with an average list, the results will remain listless (pun intended).

I'd love to be on the inside and see the inner workings of the club.

From the outside, it seems none of our coaches are really performing, and nor are our list managements departments.

Considering our supposed A grade midfield, it hasn't functioned properly in years. Is that Buckley's fault, is it our midfield coach, or is it recruiting who are selecting too much of the same player??

I'd also love to know how much influence Gubby had over the off-season, and whether Hine had any input on some of the decisions.

Hopefully all this comes out in the review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many on here I'm tempted to go the mass sackings route, but cooler heads must prevail.

My thoughts

Board
We need renewal on the board and need 3-4 current board members step aside in the interest of the Club. The club's constitution then needs to be updated to better reflect current best practice overseeing the club.

As part of this we need Ed to stand down or have a transition plan to hand over the President position. His role is now untenable. No more seeking advice from his son's on whether he should continue.

His time is up in the interests of the club.

CEO

Pert stays for next 12 - 24 months. We cannot have mass upheaval. The business and club is healthy and solid from a financial perspective and under his watch we have launched the Women's team and the netball team. Important we have stability. But the new board / President should be looking for a transition plan for life post Pert.

Head of Football.

This is the clubs most critical role and we have stuffed it up monumentally for the past 6 years (Walsh, Eade, Balme, Allen, Walsh). I would go out on a limb here and recruit Paul Roos to the role of Head of Football overseeing Coaching / Recruitment / List Management. Has all the credentials and is known to Pert so would be strong enough to keep Pert out of football matters.

I don't believe Roos will want to be coach and think he would be the wrong person for that role, but believe he would be excellent in the Head of Football. I would appoint him for 3 - 5 years - nothing less.

Keep Walsh on in list management dealing with contracts and report into Roos.

Coaching

Buck's I think will take the decision out of the clubs hands and stand aside in my opinion. In this scenario, I would appoint Sanderson for the remainder of the year, and keep him for the duration of his contract. My personal view is that I would reappoint Buckley for a 2 years, but this seems highly unlikely.

I would get rid of Harvey (quickly), Burns, Lockyer, Rocca et al.

Ensure we go to market and get the best available with the right process. Ideally someone who has coached previously like Ratten would seem a good fit having achieved great results at Carlton with a poor list, and has been in the Hawthorn bubble under Clarkson.

I would place a massive focus on these areas
  • Development program and finding coaches that can teach. Look outside of the AFL bubble instead of just ex players..
  • Skills / Ruck coach - need massive focus here
Medical / Fitness

No doubt we have seen an improvement here, but they key area for improving is the longevity of players. How often do we see players reach 220-230 games and fall off the cliff in terms of form at still a relatively young age. I would look to resource this area and lead the competition to improve the longevity of critical players.

Recruitment

Hine and Rendell's performance reflect more pointedly at the dysfunction across the Football department with so many changes and no real strategic oversight. I feel sorry for the guys in a way as they carry the can for many of the issues we have, but have no doubt we have been under resourced and from what I hear they havent always had things their own way.

But our recruitment needs a fresh set of eyes and think we should again look to move Hine on.

Buckley is gone. Terrible coach and there is no way he survives now. Assistants go as well, we need new ideas and new faces now.

I think it's time for Eddie to go now as well. 6 years of getting worse every year is unacceptable and no president of any organisation survives after those stats.

We are a bottom 2 side with no improvements shown, even Brisbane look like they are on the way up.

There is no Accountability at Collingwood since Eddie Took Ove

I'd love to be on the inside and see the inner workings of the club.

From the outside, it seems none of our coaches are really performing, and nor are our list managements departments.

Considering our supposed A grade midfield, it hasn't functioned properly in years. Is that Buckley's fault, is it our midfield coach, or is it recruiting who are selecting too much of the same player??

I'd also love to know how much influence Gubby had over the off-season, and whether Hine had any input on some of the decisions.

Hopefully all this comes out in the review.

I say it's Everything combined together

That simply cant and wont happen. Change is coming and we need a rational approach to the changes otherwise it's chaos. Collingwood Foorball Club is a large business and wont be kicking everyone out as you may like

Then don't expect big Changes in our Performance any time soon then

Then don't expect big Changes in our Performance any time soon then

Our list is poor which is why I'm not fussed about coaching changes. We have no quality KPP at either end of the ground and a lot of vanille type mids who are not good users of the ball under pressure.

Nothing will change until these areas are addressed

Luke Hodge has just announced his retirement, effective end of the season.

Development coach, anyone...?

Back