Opinion Which club is Essendon's biggest rival?

Essendon's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly think for me it changes slightly with how successfull teams are at the time.
also whether there are players on those sides that I like

eg, I liked the pies teams of their 02/03 GF appearances. think their team of the last 5-6 years has been overrated (despite the premiership)

For me I think its;
Hawthorn
Carlton
Collingwood
'what is this north melbourne you speak of'

I'll admit to despising Carlton heavily for what they did to the Dons back in the 1995 season, but also Collingwood - mostly because of the way they play in the ANZAC Day clash.

Traditional - Hawks

Current - Blues

Rest of them irrelevant in terms of rivalry tbh
(However Swans are creeping up though)
I do believe you have Hawks and Blues arse about. Carlton have been a rival for a long, long time. Before the early 1980s there wasn't really anything with Hawthorn.

Traditional - Hawks

Current - Blues

Rest of them irrelevant in terms of rivalry tbh
(However Swans are creeping up though)
Yup reverse that and it's on point

Traditional: Blues
Current: Hawks (Blues always current also)
Forced because big club mantra: Pies

Pop up rivalries: Norf, WCE, Tigers

In all seriousness, if you're going to look at traditional rivals, North is it.

It goes back further than winning the most flags which only became a race between Carlton and Essendon in the 1980s (though I think there were a few grand final play offs).

Collingwood had 13 flags by 58 and Melbourne 12 flags by 64.

North is our 'cross-town' rival. We did everything we could to block North's entry into the VFL because we were worried about its proximity and its presence in the VFL undermining our supporter base, zone, etc.

Other rivalries have grown out of competition which is not to downplay those rivalries but the 'tradition' between Essendon and Carlton did not exist at the point that there had been a few decades of hatred between Essendon and North.

Edit: as is usually the case the 90s is usually forgotten about. The rivalry with North was alive and well and Hawthorn despite recent sucesses had become a basketcase.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despise: Carlton
Hate: Hawthorn
Contempt: Norf
Respect: Collingwood

I don't know who is necessarily the biggest rival but I take the most joy from Carlton suffering.

Congratulations on a great year, and a sharp return back to September footy. Good luck on Saturday.

PS - Pies and Bombers have a great respect.. in shared hatred of the scumbag Blues.

You must be rockhard over the Melbourne tears. As much as id like to see Hibberd and the melkshake play finals the lols are amazing.

In all seriousness, if you're going to look at traditional rivals, North is it.

It goes back further than winning the most flags which only became a race between Carlton and Essendon in the 1980s (though I think there were a few grand final play offs).

Collingwood had 13 flags by 58 and Melbourne 12 flags by 64.

North is our 'cross-town' rival. We did everything we could to block North's entry into the VFL because we were worried about its proximity and its presence in the VFL undermining our supporter base, zone, etc.

Other rivalries have grown out of competition which is not to downplay those rivalries but the 'tradition' between Essendon and Carlton did not exist at the point that there had been a few decades of hatred between Essendon and North.

Edit: as is usually the case the 90s is usually forgotten about. The rivalry with North was alive and well and Hawthorn despite recent sucesses had become a basketcase.

The 90s with north was only because we were both premiership contenders for about 5 years or so. Since then there has been little significance to most games against them.

Compare that to every game against Carlton even when we are in the bottom 5, neither team or supporter base wants to lose that one above all others. In comparison there just is no rivalry with North.

The 90s with north was only because we were both premiership contenders for about 5 years or so. Since then there has been little significance to most games against them.

Compare that to every game against Carlton even when we are in the bottom 5, neither team or supporter base wants to lose that one above all others. In comparison there just is no rivalry with North.

What do you think the Hawthorn rivalry is?

Do you think they think that we are relevant and that we play them in important matches?

Edit: to reduce the confrontation apparent in post.

What do you think the Hawthorn rivalry is?

Do you think they think that we are relevant and that we play them in important matches?

Edit: to reduce the confrontation apparent in post.

I know they hate losing to us but even that isnt on the same level as carlton.

I suspect if you asked most of our West Aussie-based or originated fans, they'd say they hate West Coast almost more than anyone.

Eh eh scezza Beerfish Andronicus Bennett. ;)

it's a sliding scale.. WCE - Hawks - Carl - Pies - Norf...
and any other team. First 5 exist in their own certain realm of hatred though.

Collingwood would probably be one of our least from that lot. I just find that it misses the intensity of our rivalry with the other clubs.

A Collingwood-Essendon final wouldn't be anywhere near as intense as a final against Carlton/Hawthorn/Richmond/North.

I wonder why that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back