Which club is North Melbourne's biggest rival?

North Melbourne's biggest rival?

• Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane

• Carlton

• Collingwood

• Fremantle

• Geelong

• Greater Western Sydney

• St Kilda

• Sydney

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

probably Essendon. as far as history between the two clubs, you've got them making sure we were excluded from the VFL because of the close proximity to their area, the failed merger in the 20s that resulted in them taking most of our list, our first grand final in 1950, the many great games of the 90s, them watching us win in 1999 when they thought it would be theirs for sure, denying them an elusive finals win in 2014 (still probably the closest they've come since 2004) and a few other close games recently. generally a rivalry comes from clubs being around the same mark for a long time and we've usually been pretty close to the mark with them since probably 1993 when both clubs jumped into the top few and stayed there for several years.

second would probably be Hawthorn because of all the big games in the 70s, but that one's died down a bit.

probably Essendon. as far as history between the two clubs, you've got them making sure we were excluded from the VFL because of the close proximity to their area, the failed merger in the 20s that resulted in them taking most of our list, our first grand final in 1950, the many great games of the 90s, them watching us win in 1999 when they thought it would be theirs for sure, denying them an elusive finals win in 2014 (still probably the closest they've come since 2004) and a few other close games recently. generally a rivalry comes from clubs being around the same mark for a long time and we've usually been pretty close to the mark with them since probably 1993 when both clubs jumped into the top few and stayed there for several years.

second would probably be Hawthorn because of all the big games in the 70s, but that one's died down a bit.
Most hated *
biggest rivalry Hawthorn.

Not the biggest, but the rivalry with the Bulldogs has been coming along nicely.

I think they hate us as much as we hate them and we've had some ripping games of late, not to mention the whole Ballarat fiasco.

Any answer other than Essendon though is ignoring history.

Whatever supporters are the meanest over north in my experiences: *, wc , carlton. I generally have no issue with any team but as soon as some supporters besmirch my own on a regular basis.. well

Big difference between finding a club objectionable and having a rivalry with them. I find the existence of the Brisbane Lions offensive, but that doesn't mean there's a rivalry between them and North, they're just another club we play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being a millennial and not being around when the Spanish flu was, this Essendon stuff is way overblown on this board imo. They don't deserve the attention. During our heyday in the 70's, they were putrid - barely made the finals and certainly didn't win any. Essendon who? Even during the Pagan era they had a brief flourish and got us in the end. Before that, not even remotely in the conversation. If you had the displeasure of growing up with as many Collingwood mates as I did, and had the misfortune to visit the slime pit that was Victoria Park, there is only one my friends - the filth.

Not being a millennial and not being around when the Spanish flu was, this Essendon stuff is way overblown on this board imo. They don't deserve the attention. During our heyday in the 70's, they were putrid - barely made the finals and certainly didn't win any. Essendon who? Even during the Pagan era they had a brief flourish and got us in the end. Before that, not even remotely in the conversation. If you had the displeasure of growing up with as many Collingwood mates as I did, and had the misfortune to visit the slime pit that was Victoria Park, there is only one my friends - the filth.

You only have to ask the players past and present about * and there will be the same response.

We hate the *ers.

I voted Western Bulldogs. The correct answer is Essendon but I personally hate the Dogs more. There’s something in that match that both fans respond to as well. Crowds at North vs Dogs are always 20% larger than say North vs Saints. We should play it up more in the media.

Essendon, Carlton and Bulldogs are geographically our nearest neighbours and that tends to stoke more than any other factor.

I don't dislike essendon for stuff that happened in the early 20th century, i wasn't aware of it for most of my north supporting life. I dislike the weirdly smug yet insecure vibe of their supporters that makes them simply HAVE to put down everyone around them . Even * supporters don't tend to like each other

Interesting to see which club North Melbourne fans view as being their biggest rival and why.
Geelong, cause their supporters are the biggest campaigners around. Well, up and till another clubs supporter comes on here asking who our rival is.

We hate you all’s.

Geelong, cause their supporters are the biggest campaigners around. Well, up and till another clubs supporter comes on here asking who our rival is.

We hate you all’s.

No idea why the OP is spamming all the club boards with the same question. Good to see them get a holiday.

Oh and Geelong's biggest rival is father time.

People will say Essendon and Hawthorn, maybe Carlton too, but my opinion is that we don't really have a big rivalry with anyone. There's history with some of those clubs for sure but nowadays it's all fairly tame.
It is similar for a few clubs though. Who is Geelongs biggest rival? Hawthorn? Because the media tell us so. They have a bit of recent history and 1989 but how much do you need to be the biggest? Collingwood fans would probably say Carlton but Essendon, Richmond and Melbourne fans would probably say Collingwood. Unless you come from a two horse town it’s open to personal preference. I hate St Kilda a bit more than most teams, based mostly on their supporters.

Back