• Sydney

Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He actually won their best and fairest in 2019 believe it or not. He was a much better player then.

He and Mitchell just dont play well together. Mitchell missed all 2019 and Worpel really stepped up. Mitchell carried us in 2018. Worpel carried us in 2019.

Now he looks lost. I dont think any of our supporters have a clue what to do with him. And Im not sure Clarko does either.

Sydney spent 2 seasons in the bottom 6 didn't they? That's unusual. I don't think that's a realistic aim for a club without an academy. You haven't accrued the elite talent like they did whilst still up. I also think Sydney this year is a bit of a false dawn. A more moderate version of GC, who everyone gets excited about at the start of the season before they fall in a heap.

It may or may not be that catastrophic. Plenty of North and Hawks fans thought they drop to the bottom 6 for a couple of years, grab a couple elite talents and then magically be back in the competition for the top 8/in the top 8 again (where Sydney are now).

I think you'll spend 4-5 in the bottom 6, like most clubs do.

Who knows what'll happen, haha. To be fair, we've never finished below 12th in our 124 year history, so we don't make a habit of every completely bottoming out, like some other teams may have. Either way, wouldn't mind finishing Bottom 4 post 2022, as it would mean we could finally get some high draft picks in the calibre of Bartel, Selwood, Mackie etc. Will also mean we'll likely have a new coach, which would be a breath of fresh air after 10+ years of Scott.

Yeah that's pretty depressing, but I'm hoping that players like SDK come on to play in the ruck/forward, in order for him never to see the light of day again, haha.

Is what it is though. Certainly some holes, just more about the foundation of the team, and what we can build on via trade/draft/FA. Rohan is more of a foil, than any sort of actual forward - as you guys know. Will just have to see how the club decides to handle that hole on our list (which is obviously why obtaining Cameron was so important), and whether that is SDK playing as our 2nd key forward, Ratugolea being our 2nd forward or ruck, which then enables SDK to play ruck/us obtain a ruck/our drafted rucks like Neale come on etc.

Actually, on second thought, probably works better if Danger plays forward more (which he's more likely to do at that point of his career) allowing him as a genuine CHF option...and then having Guthrie, Parfitt, Rata, O'Connor, Menegola and Clark as our onball/wing division:

B: Bews, Blics, J. Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, T. Atkins
C: Menegola, O'Connor, J. Clark
FO: Ratugolea, Guthrie, Parfitt
HF: Duncan, Danger, S. Simpson
F: Dahlhaus, J. Cameron, Miers
INT: Holmes, Rohan, Narkle, Close

EMG: Evans, C. Stephens, Fort, SDK
as supporters we always see our team as having good players.
and its true. all teams have great 22.
but the reality is AFL is hard. and that team you have above is no where near top 4. duncan and menegola? in 2023 will be in wheelchairs.
Dahlhaus is cooked. I could go on but wont.
Sorry but Cats are going down. But as I said 17 years as a serious contender is phenomenol and a record for modern AFL footy.

as supporters we always see our team as having good players.
and its true. all teams have great 22.
but the reality is AFL is hard. and that team you have above is no where near top 4. duncan and menegola? in 2023 will be in wheelchairs.
Dahlhaus is cooked. I could go on but wont.
Sorry but Cats are going down. But as I said 17 years as a serious contender is phenomenol and a record for modern AFL footy.

I never said it was Top 4 material, lol? Said that we'll fall and likely be Bottom 6, in pretty much all posts. I'm under no illusion of where we're at/where we'll likely be once the last of our champions from our dynasty era retire.

Dunc will be 32 in 2023, and Menegola will be 31..not exactly 'wheelchair' age - but I understand your point even if it is a little hyperbolic. Both Dahlhaus and Rohan won't be there either, all being well. Was more just to point out based on what we have now, without including those developing or who we'll get via trade/FA if we opt for that over the next 2 years, that it's not a bad foundation to build on, once we do bottom out (senior players helping develop newer players coming through).

Agree that it has been a remarkable time up top, and think we're pretty much at the end of an era come 2022 - once Selwood and Hawkins retire (along with all the fringe players that I mentioned earlier).

Parfitt
Stewart
Ratugolea
Jack Henry
Sam Simpson
Mark O'Connor

(Tim Kelly - lost him but ended up with a draft bonanza in return through a whole range of mechanisms like the future GC trade, that netted us Cooper Stephens, Jeremy Cameron and two picks in the mid 20's from GWS/Essendon this year - all from that Pick 24
Miers

Jordan Clark
Tom Atkins

Sam De Koning
Cooper Stephens
Francis Evans
Brad Close

Max Holmes
I don't think Geelong will fall off the side of the cliff, and if they do I don't think that means years down the bottom either. Too good a club for that. That said, there's a few concerns around your list here.

Stewart's already 28. Jeremy Cameron the same. Parfitt and O'Connor are great players but can they do more than be defensively minded mids? (or handy forwards/backs).

Then the 4 first round picks that we haven't seen much of - Clark, Sam DK, Stephens and Holmes - what are the expectations there? It's very early days and players develop at different rates but they probably aren't projecting star qualities. That's the issue with drafting in the 15-20 range.

Clark has x factor, but it's a worry he can't crack a regular game. Would he be developing better playing at half back each week? Sam DK was meant to be a great intercepting defender, he might become a handy ruck/forward but that's not Harry Taylor's replacement. Stephens yet to play which is a bit rare for an inside mid even with injury issues. Holmes looks very handy and I wouldn't lock in to a ceiling there but maybe at this stage it's more handy supporting player than out and out star based on traits.

Too many rebuilding sides play the kids too often but at the same time competing sides can avoid giving kids extra chances and stagnate them that way. There's always exceptions to the rule but so often many of the best players in the game were playing plenty of AFL footy from very early after their draft and showing off some unique traits.

I don't think Geelong will fall off the side of the cliff, and if they do I don't think that means years down the bottom either. Too good a club for that. That said, there's a few concerns around your list here.

Stewart's already 28. Jeremy Cameron the same. Parfitt and O'Connor are great players but can they do more than be defensively minded mids? (or handy forwards/backs).

Then the 4 first round picks that we haven't seen much of - Clark, Sam DK, Stephens and Holmes - what are the expectations there? It's very early days and players develop at different rates but they probably aren't projecting star qualities. That's the issue with drafting in the 15-20 range.

Clark has x factor, but it's a worry he can't crack a regular game. Would he be developing better playing at half back each week? Sam DK was meant to be a great intercepting defender, he might become a handy ruck/forward but that's not Harry Taylor's replacement. Stephens yet to play which is a bit rare for an inside mid even with injury issues. Holmes looks very handy and I wouldn't lock in to a ceiling there but maybe at this stage it's more handy supporting player than out and out star based on traits.

Too many rebuilding sides play the kids too often but at the same time competing sides can avoid giving kids extra chances and stagnate them that way. There's always exceptions to the rule but so often many of the best players in the game were playing plenty of AFL footy from very early after their draft and showing off some unique traits.

Probably fair to say we haven't focused too heavily on developing youth in the latter years of Chris Scott's tenure - there are exceptions of course, but the steady influx of experienced recruits from rival clubs ensures that we seldom prematurely expose draftees for prolonged period.

On top of that we have been competitive throughout those same latter Chris Scott years, and so players like Josh Hamling and Ryan Gardner were never really anything more than insurance for players like Taylor, Lonergan etc. despite being solid picks.

And so as it stands, yes, the cupboard does look pretty bare in terms of developing talent at Geelong.

Brandan Parfitt is the most experienced player we have under the age of 25; he's just shy of 80 games. I rate his 2-way game pretty highly.
Jack Henry has just clocked up 70 games, he is tracking really well and can play a variety of roles - I think he could be settled at CHB long-term.

Apart from those two there's not a lot to write home about.

Gryan Miers has his shortcomings but his type can be difficult to find and he'll do for now - I prefer Brad Close as a small forward going forward though; there's probably room for both.

Mark O'Connor is already 25 but still presumably has a lot of football ahead of him, he is a solid foot soldier.

The two we will be really hoping come on are tall prospects Esava Ratugolea and Sam De Koning, but I suspect there will be years of ups and downs from both before either are genuinely established.

Max Holmes has started very well in his first year on the list to date, and Jordan Clark is a bit of a luxury player at this stage of his career; he does some nice things, but he has some gaping holes in his game too.

Worpedo ...........

Nahh wasnt he meant to be a GUN ?

Yeah he was....

But its 2023....

Norths and West coasts lists is very bad at the moment. Hawks have some promising kids.

North Melbournes best 22 isnt great but have some 20-23 year olds I like.

I cant Believe I am saying this. Dockers have some talent but some how not playing to near the potiential they should be playing in 2023.

Wouldn't make this thread in 2023 as West Coast is too obvious an answer. They are really bad, without much in the way of talented youth and their more experienced players will be retiring soon. It is pretty bleak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong. Been up for 15 years but the steep decline is here.

At least West Coast have Oscar Allen and getting pick #1.

Geelong will win several spoons this decade. Bookmark it.

Sheezel, Wardlaw to name a couple
Brayden George also when he returns from injury next year.
Sheezel is a star.

Wardlaw is under a cloud, he's had 4 hamstring issues in 18 months.

You've prioritised the midfield, yet apart from LDU and Wardlaw, I don't see much development.

Richmond are in for a world of hurt.
Apart from Bolton (24) & Balta (supposedly the next Alex Rance according to the Tigs faithful), not much quality coming through at all.

Back