Who should be the next senior coach of Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been doing some research as to potential next head coaches of the Collingwood football club.

Unfortunately I believe that our best prospect was snapped up when St.Kilda appointed Brett Ratten as head coach.

That doesn't leave us with a huge amount of options.

The main contenders:

Alistair Clarkson: one of the most successful coaches of the modern era and looks to me like a change of scenery could be just the refresh he needs. The issue here is after all that he has achieved, is he hungry enough and has the game past him yet or can he reinvent himself again?

Sam Mitchell: To me the next young up and coming gun coach, does he have his eyes set on being the next coach of the Hawks is the question and can we sell him on crossing over to us?

Blake Caracella: been involved with successful teams, was an assistant with us from 07-09 before going to Geelong from 2010-2016 and behind the scenes was seen as playing a big part in Richmond's flag when he joined in 2017. Is now currently at Essendon.

Also in the running:

I am very keen on going outside of the Collingwood bubble for our next coach but one where we could potentially make an exception to that rule is Scott Burns. Widely regarded as a future head coach and has spent time at the Eagles, Pies and Hawks. Was the midfield coach when he was with us could anyone give their thoughts on his performance in that role?

Another left field choice for me and widely seen as a future head coach is Brett Kirk.

Please no not him:

We surely could not go in this direction but I honestly believe that Ross Lyon will coach again, I can only pray it isn't with us as we are boring as F already.

What is everyone's thoughts and feel free to suggest other options as well.

I don’t know who I want but I know who I don’t want...

None of the following please:

Ross Lyon;
Anyone from the current Collingwold coaching set up;
Any former star player without proper coaching experience (e.g. Hodge)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mitchell and Caracella are definitely the two guys I'm most interested in, as they seem almost destined for head coaching gigs.

There are some other assistants around the comp I'd have a look at. Adam Yze seems very respected at Hawthorn. Another could be Adam Kingsley from Richmond maybe. There seem to be some burgeoning talents in the coaching ranks. I wonder how old mate Scotty Burns is doing?

Ratten I believe would have been a great get. I would have had him replace Harvey as part of a transition, with Ratten stepping up post Buckley.

However, I think whilst Eddie is in the chair, Bucks will remain, unless of course he feels he can no longer take the club forward and decides to step aside.

The quest is to win premiership's but they are dammed hard to win. Will changing head coaches take us closer, or is it more about changing the voices around Buckley?

I think if you look at the current coaching options available, you might opt for the latter, and retain Buck's, but replace a number of current assistance coaches.

Currently, of the ex-coaches the club might consider would be Ross Lyon, and maybe Brad Scott? Of the current coaches clearly Clarkson is the pick of the bunch and it seems he will part ways with the Hawks in a year or so. I've always like Luke Beveridge and he has some history with the Pies so think he would be a good get.

I'm not at all in favour of an untried assistant.

I will throw in one from left field as an assistant - Craig Jennings, currently director of coaching at St Kevin's Old Boys football club after a big fall from grace at Melbourne. He is renowned as a master technician and was touted last year by Fox footy panels as a future AFL coach. He is quite an inspirational speaker - there are videos of him on Youtube. Could he be considered for an assistant's position?

Background: From 2016 to 2019 Craig was Assistant Coach and Strategy and Education Coordinator at the Melbourne Football Club. In 2015 he was Opposition Coach at the the Western Bulldogs and from 2005 to 2014, Assistant Coach and Football Knowledge Manager at the Essendon Football Club. Craig was elite junior footballer representing the Victoria Schoolboys at U15 before being drafted as 16yo by North Melbourne at pick 45 in 1990. In 1991 he was Captain of Victorian Country (U17), All Australian Teal Cup representative (U17) and a starring member of North Melbourne’s U19 premiership. Craig spent 1992-1993 on North Melbourne’s Senior List before becoming Assistant playing coach at Churchill FC and Devon – Welshpool FC in the VCFL with great success. Craig is currently completing a Masters in Coaching and the exclusive AFL Level 4 Coaching Program.

(shows his ability to analyse a game)

Last edited:
Who SHOULD be? The best available candidate.
Whom do I think would be best in our current situation? Clarkson. Would answer the question once and for all "Is this List capable or not?"
If not Clarko? Caracella is a great tactician and small group teacher. Could he handle the entire group????

Left field? Gary Ayres would take no prisoners and Dale Tapping would shake up the whole club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will throw in one from left field as an assistant - Craig Jennings, currently director of coaching at St Kevin's Old Boys football club after a big fall from grace at Melbourne. He is renowned as a master technician and was touted last year by Fox footy panels as a future AFL coach. He is quite an inspirational speaker - there are videos of him on Youtube. Could he be considered for an assistant's position?

Background: From 2016 to 2019 Craig was Assistant Coach and Strategy and Education Coordinator at the Melbourne Football Club. In 2015 he was Opposition Coach at the the Western Bulldogs and from 2005 to 2014, Assistant Coach and Football Knowledge Manager at the Essendon Football Club. Craig was elite junior footballer representing the Victoria Schoolboys at U15 before being drafted as 16yo by North Melbourne at pick 45 in 1990. In 1991 he was Captain of Victorian Country (U17), All Australian Teal Cup representative (U17) and a starring member of North Melbourne’s U19 premiership. Craig spent 1992-1993 on North Melbourne’s Senior List before becoming Assistant playing coach at Churchill FC and Devon – Welshpool FC in the VCFL with great success. Craig is currently completing a Masters in Coaching and the exclusive AFL Level 4 Coaching Program.

(shows his ability to analyse a game)

Why hasn’t he applied for any head coaching job over recent years?

Seems like a waste of time to even think about. People talking like we are bottom of the ladder. We are currently in the 8. I'm not saying we should be happy, but from Eddies and Bucks perspective, particulary Eddie's who'll have the final call, what justification is there to change the coach?. Unless we plummet to multiple bottom four finishes in a row, or Eddie steps down, Bucks will be our coach.

Last edited:
Buckley never applied, the job was handed to him on a platter.

Maybe Jennings expects the same treatment.

Buckley got the Job because North wanted to Hire him as there Head Coach so we gave them Brad Scott instead

someone who can deliver a period of sustained success - this means a few flags - not just "competing in finals"
No one can guarantee flags.

Buckley never applied, the job was handed to him on a platter.

Maybe Jennings expects the same treatment.

Buckley was going to Coach NM remember - they had the platter waiting as well.

Maybe Jennings hasn’t got the confidence to back himself - unlike Buckley and every other coach whose landed a job.
Or he may not be interested.

That said, his analysis on SEN is excellent - he would be a good addition to the club as an assistant.

Why hasn’t he applied for any head coaching job over recent years?
Probably become he never actually had AFL experience as a player. He was picked up in the same draft as Hird by the Kangaroos. Top junior but too small for AFL. (40's pick)

His comments on the VFL last year also created a lot of criticism of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back