Vic Who stands with Dan on this?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've used a few free camps around Victoria. Some of them were ok, tidy, peaceful, as you'd want in a campsite generally away from towns and people.

But most of the time, the camps were either packed solid with people, had rubbish all over the place, or were damaged by people camping in inappropriate spots. For me, it's pretty clear that people don't respect free camps, and why would they, they've paid nothing for its use, they've got no committment to keeping it neat and tidy. For me, as a hiker who practices leave no trace wherever possible, it's awful to see. Just another demonstration of how humans just don't respect the environment in the way that we should.

We camped up at The Glasshouse near Lake Tyers on Australia Day this year. Campsite was full, that's fair. Half the sites had loud (really loud) music playing until after midnight. Bushes near the lake were full of toilet paper, bottles and cans, even full rubbish bags. We packed out what we could but it was gross.

Yes I'm aware that not every free camper does this. And I'm sure someone can find examples of free camps being neat and tidy, of campers being responsible.

So, you know what? If it costs me a small sum to ensure that we can have sustainable camping sites (with bins and toilets), with capacity control, designated sites for camping and for fires, regular maintenance and with measures to ensure that adverse behaviour can be reported and consequences occur, I'll happily pay it. Consider it a educational fee in leave no trace principles.

Besides, even if they establish these "hundreds" of free camps along the rivers, there'll still be plenty of free camps around.

• Banned
I've used a few free camps around Victoria. Some of them were ok, tidy, peaceful, as you'd want in a campsite generally away from towns and people.

But most of the time, the camps were either packed solid with people, had rubbish all over the place, or were damaged by people camping in inappropriate spots. For me, it's pretty clear that people don't respect free camps, and why would they, they've paid nothing for its use, they've got no committment to keeping it neat and tidy. For me, as a hiker who practices leave no trace wherever possible, it's awful to see. Just another demonstration of how humans just don't respect the environment in the way that we should.

We camped up at The Glasshouse near Lake Tyers on Australia Day this year. Campsite was full, that's fair. Half the sites had loud (really loud) music playing until after midnight. Bushes near the lake were full of toilet paper, bottles and cans, even full rubbish bags. We packed out what we could but it was gross.

Yes I'm aware that not every free camper does this. And I'm sure someone can find examples of free camps being neat and tidy, of campers being responsible.

So, you know what? If it costs me a small sum to ensure that we can have sustainable camping sites (with bins and toilets), with capacity control, designated sites for camping and for fires, regular maintenance and with measures to ensure that adverse behaviour can be reported and consequences occur, I'll happily pay it. Consider it a educational fee in leave no trace principles.

Besides, even if they establish these "hundreds" of free camps along the rivers, there'll still be plenty of free camps around.
I don’t mind paying. And I’m a net rubbish remover. But you can see where this is going. And it’s not good.

“Camping will only take place on suitable sites”.

I don’t mind paying. And I’m a net rubbish remover. But you can see where this is going. And it’s not good.

“Camping will only take place on suitable sites”.

It's not Dan's fault people have abused the privilege of the free camps. What did you think was going to happen? This is kinder level stuff, if you can't treat something with respect it'll be taken away from you.

You shuold be pointing your judgmental finger at the campers whose actions have brought about this (possible) outcome.

• Banned
It's not Dan's fault people have abused the privilege of the free camps. What did you think was going to happen? This is kinder level stuff, if you can't treat something with respect it'll be taken away from you.

You shuold be pointing your judgmental finger at the campers whose actions have brought about this (possible) outcome.
And I have. Personally. It’s Dan’s fault that his only solution is lockdowns and lockups.

Not following. What's the issue?

its a messy one.

my fam is mostly national voting farmers, and they are split.

some are pissed they cannot fish where ever the * they want. some are rapt because they dont want arsehats effecting their land

dont know if this is the answer tbh, but its a genuine messy one

Need a free permit type system for free camping, where you need to nominate where you will camp at. Too many people are doing the wrong thing.
There needs to be clear rules and if you break them you can be fined etc…

We going to close all the beaches too?

Hang on, forget I said that.

Need a free permit type system for free camping, where you need to nominate where you will camp at. Too many people are doing the wrong thing.
There needs to be clear rules and if you break them you can be fined etc…
That's actually a decent solution - allows people doing the right thing to continue to camp for free.

I wonder if any of the people outraged by this actually do camp regularly. A lot of my camping is either on private land, or on hikes/bike packing trips and as a general rule the less accessible the camp, the cleaner it is. On one overnight hike last year I only saw one piece of rubbish the whole hike (yes I picked it up and took it with me).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's actually a decent solution - allows people doing the right thing to continue to camp for free.

I wonder if any of the people outraged by this actually do camp regularly. A lot of my camping is either on private land, or on hikes/bike packing trips and as a general rule the less accessible the camp, the cleaner it is. On one overnight hike last year I only saw one piece of rubbish the whole hike (yes I picked it up and took it with me).

been years since i went out, but i found things very ying and yang

some places would be pristine, some would have piles of emtpies greeting you at the campsite

accessibility was a big factor - hiking destinations the hikers looked after, but anything a short walk from a road was trash

I'd be aboard that. Probably a good safety measure too for the more remote type stuff.

And as I said elsewhere, I'd happily pay a, say, $500pa license fee too.

I don't expect free s**t.

Hmm..you going to have a go at Port Philip council, City of Melb, Mornington council etc for doing the most unaustralian of things, making us pay to park at the beach?!

Is this whataboutism?

Having just had my shitty little trailer sailer evicted from St Kilda Marina so they can build their new exclusive millionaires only facility I have plenty to say about local councils but when I'm talking about "free camping" I'm talking about access, not cost.

I'd be aboard that. Probably a good safety measure too for the more remote type stuff.

And as I said elsewhere, I'd happily pay a, say, $500pa license fee too.

I don't expect free sh*t.

im not sure paying $500 year to free camp would be an option for many families.
What could happen is local groups could get landcare type grants to make areas more accommodating etc..

I wouldn’t be against a minimal yearly fee or pay by use system if all money went to free camp spots.
Money could go to dump bins and water waste in designated areas, which would require a pin to open.

The technology is there now.

They're not opening spots for camping, they're closing them. Then the spots that are made available will be "user friendly" thus removing the adventure of the free camping that many of us enjoy. Under cover of "the environment".

this is hardly new - even in the 1980's huge numbers of beaches were off limits to all camping, and a number of areas had access restrictions (ie no caravans, trailers, etc).

as i mentioned before, im hearing both sides on this via facebook from my family - a lot of farmers are over the way their land gets shat on around the rivers and streams

They're not opening spots for camping, they're closing them. Then the spots that are made available will be "user friendly" thus removing the adventure of the free camping that many of us enjoy. Under cover of "the environment".
I'm not saying you are wrong, but where is the report that they are closing them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back