• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the club feels we don't have someone good enough to be a captain on his own right. We do, it's Jonas.

But the club feel they can't afford to not make Wines captain, but he's not quite ready.

That’s my fear.

Rooch said this morning that the has spoken to a only a small number of port players about the captain. All so far have said they would prefer a single captain.

I reckon this is Rucci driving his own agenda. It's in contrast to what the coaches and admin have been alluding to regarding the players warming to/supporting it.

Last edited:
Rooch said this morning that the has spoken to a only a small number of port players about the captain. All so far have said they would prefer a single captain.
So they are unanimous in having 1 captain and unanimous in having co-captains.

I reckon this is Rucci driving his own agenda. It's in contrast to what the coaches and admin have been alluding too regarding the players warming to/supporting it.

Yeah i had the same thought. Could be pushing his own agenda. But the other option is that publicly the players are just pushing forward the company line rather than their own personal beliefs.

Of course he said that. Since when are players talking to Rucci off the record because they feel like it?

Having a single captain isn't a tradition. The only relevant tradition is the number 1 guernsey, and you could just give that to either Wines or Jonas and leave the other in the number of their choice without the sky falling in.

Literally the last time we were successful we spent the entire year bar a quarter of footy with our captain and spiritual leader wearing 16.

The only other team with a set aside captain's number in the league is Richmond, who just won a flag with a captain who didn't take the number.

Of all the s**t this club has put us through over the last few years, so many people are choosing to die on Co-Captains Hill.

Having a single captain isn't a tradition. The only relevant tradition is the number 1 guernsey, and you could just give that to either Wines or Jonas and leave the other in the number of their choice without the sky falling in.

Literally the last time we were successful we spent the entire year bar a quarter of footy with our captain and spiritual leader wearing 16.

The only other team with a set aside captain's number in the league is Richmond, who just won a flag with a captain who didn't take the number.

Of all the s**t this club has put us through over the last few years, so many people are choosing to die on Co-Captains Hill.

Having a single captain is a 149 year tradition of the club.

The captain wearing number 1 was a 50-odd year tradition until a kid wore it on the sidelines in 2018.

I am tired (exhausted) with the current club custodians chipping away at removing the special things that define us as a unique club.

yes, give one of them the captaincy, the right to wear number 1, the other can keep their number and be VC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a last straw. It's about the arrogance of the club if they go ahead with it. They know they have hurt us and they know this will hurt us, but they think they know better than us. In this case, they do not.

I still don't believe co-captains is the right move for this club. If co-captains was genuinely advantageous, every club would do it. It's not like co-captains is a new concept.

It is up to the club to manage the workload of its captain and the VC and leadership group to support the captain. Going co-captains is a lazy solution.

Do you remember when Jack Trengove and Jack Grimes were co-captain at Melbourne? Good times. Jacks for co-captain.

We could help our captain Jack off a horse.

Or, we could help our captains Jack off a horse.

Either way, the horse is happy.

It's not a Port Adelaide tradition, it's the accepted norm of the sport.

Calling it a tradition is like saying that playing on an oval is a Port Adelaide tradition.

So co-captains is like playing on a rectangle?

I’m Xcited!!!

I want one outstanding candidate, who everyone acknowledges as the true captain because he wears 1.

Co-captains is a sign of weakness in a sport where the captain is acknowledged as the driver of standards in the team, because it shows that neither player has what it takes to lead by himself.

That’s what pisses me off about the idea. It’s just a cop out. Are we seriously saying that we don’t have anyone that can do just as good a job, if not better, than Travis Boak...and we need two players to make up the equivalent of a Shannon Hurn or a Trent Cotchin? Then why did we get rid of Boak in the first place?

Are our players so mentally weak?

Will someone for the love of god stand up in our playing group and say “Follow me boys, I’ll lead you into battle...but I’ll also stand beside you. I’ll make you believe”?

Co-captains was a bullshit invention of Paul Roos. The same Roos that advocated that ugly as dog s**t flood/possession crap we played last year. I don’t want us going anywhere near anything Sydney does again. We are Port Adelaide - we shouldn’t be playing ugly football.

One flag = one cup = one captain.

End of story.

It's not a Port Adelaide tradition, it's the accepted norm of the sport.

Calling it a tradition is like saying that playing on an oval is a Port Adelaide tradition.

Having one captain is convention. Everyone does it, more or less.

Having your captain wear the #1 on their guernsey is a tradition. Only we do it.

Kicking such a visible tradition to the curb requires a bloody good reason to do so. Especially since we pitch our 'brand' as being a traditional football club, linked to our history in another competition.

I'm not against co-captains per se, but this needs to be looked at in context of a club that has had to fight for its identity, being told its not the same as the 'real' club, we're just the second team from SA, yada yada. This IS the stuff to fight for.

s**t like this means we may as well be ******* Fremantle; a poor facsimile of existing WAFL clubs glued together with Clag in an attempt to attract some non-Weagles supporters to the fold.

Back