Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Port could beat them if they bring sufficient midfield pressure. Their contested style should stand up in finals.

The big question about Port for mine is whether they have a second or third banana behind Charlie Dixon. Because Dixon probably isn't going to take 10 contested marks and kick five goals in a final when he's getting double teamed by a good back six. If Dixon plays well, he might still kick 2 or 3 but it's probably not going to be a big bag. So the question for Port is about who else can bob up and kick a few when they need them. Robbie Gray might be the barometer when it gets to the pointy end.
The game we played against Port we led at 3 quarter time at AO. We were in the game but just couldn't go on with it in the last. I genuinely can't remember who exactly, but I know at that stage we had a few players out who I noted would be back the next time we played them, think from memory it was Edwards, Astbury, Houli, Prestia and maybe one or two others missing, Nankervis maybe?

Anyway, good news is that if we did meet them again (QLD would help as we dont seem to play AO that well), I'd be far more confident we'd be able to play out a Richmond 4 quarters with the above players back in.

The game we played against Port we led at 3 quarter time at AO. We were in the game but just couldn't go on with it in the last. I genuinely can't remember who exactly, but I know at that stage we had a few players out who I noted would be back the next time we played them, think from memory it was Edwards, Astbury, Houli, Prestia and maybe one or two others missing, Nankervis maybe?

Anyway, good news is that if we did meet them again (QLD would help as we dont seem to play AO that well), I'd be far more confident we'd be able to play out a Richmond 4 quarters with the above players back in.
I assume Richmond will be confident regardless of the opposition. I'd give Port a much better chance than Brisbane.

I assume Richmond will be confident regardless of the opposition. I'd give Port a much better chance than Brisbane.
Port are one of the few sides that could compete with our system of dominating the groundball / chaos ball.

Brisbane don't seem equipped for this and they don't generate enough run out of their backline. Our defenders also match up very well on them.

West Coast would be a chance to beat us if they were up and going with a full squad and could dominate the aerial contests. Not sure enough is going right for them at the moment though they will be dangerous.

Geelong is a good professional side but again I don't think they have the players to deal with Richmond's chaotic system. If we are level at half time I think we'd run over the top.

Port are one of the few sides that could compete with our system of dominating the groundball / chaos ball.

Brisbane don't seem equipped for this and they don't generate enough run out of their backline. Our defenders also match up very well on them.

West Coast would be a chance to beat us if they were up and going with a full squad and could dominate the aerial contests. Not sure enough is going right for them at the moment though they will be dangerous.

Geelong is a good professional side but again I don't think they have the players to deal with Richmond's chaotic system. If we are level at half time I think we'd run over the top.
I actually have a big question over whether port or us can sustain a high pressure game like that for 4 quarters in Brisbane late spring heat. It could be a year where a keepings off conserve energy style like Geelong's could win.

I still have Brisbane number 1. Very good record against the top 8 this year and home ground and even more home condition advantage is a big one for me.

Geez, everyone (incl me) is saying the Tigers are favourites for the flag, is that not good enough for you?

But given you can't leave it alone....
1. If you're picking your best 22, playing at their best, then Rozee, Ebert, Burton, Marshall and Motlop make the 22 in the team that's top of the ladder. That's 5 isn't it?
2. Graham didn't play in the 2019 premiership. That makes it 6?
3. Travelling on the day is a club choice, we made that choice 3-4 times this year as well.
4. Yes you had a 4-day break, and we had a 5-day one. It was also our 3rd game in 9 days (Thu-Mon-Sat), Richmond's 3rd game in 10 (Wed-Tue-Sat). But that probably doesn't count?
Graham is a premiership player. He did a great job on Sloane in 17 as a 19 year old.

Would have been there last year but was injured.

Last edited:
lol...stop playing it down. Tigers will beat Port at the Gabba.

playing what down?... i said what i believe

making statements like you just did is plain stupid, either team can win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time i looked there are 8 teams in the lineup to vie for the coveted cup. All, on their day are capable , one team could be a little off and another on. I think Richmond are the team to beat but a couple of injury's and the horizon changes. WC are capable from fifth but dependent on who comes back . If WC can't than i would love to see St Kilda finally crack a flag, but really, who knows;)

My pecking order

1 Richmond

2 Port Adelaide
3 Brisbane
4 Geelong

5 West Coast

6 St Kilda
7 Bulldogs
8 Collingwood

Geelong have slipped a bit but I was still very impressed when they played us, particularly in the first half. I haven't seen control used against us like that.

Yeah, this.

Richmond have this in the bag imo. Brisbane at the GABBA hold no fears for them and winning their first final should ensure a smooth ride to another flag. Well deserved imo, they clearly demonstrated this year they have the ability, no luck needed.

Just my opinion

Week 1
Port v Geel - Port
Briz v Rich - Rich
WC v Coll - WC
Saints v Dogs - Dogs (just, best game of the first week)

Week 2
Geel v WC - Geel
Briz v Dogs - Dogs

Week 3
Port v Dogs - Dogs
Rich v Geel - Rich

GF Tiges v Dogs - Dogs (we love 7th place!)

Realistically I think we can get over Sainters, and possibly Brizvegas but Port should be too much for us. Although if Josh Bruce finds form (and hes looking better) we could go all the way. A win in the first week is a pass mark for the season for us, a win in week two surpasses expectations and sees us well placed for 21 and beyond with our young list. I think our lack of a quality ruck is our downfall, our mids beat or break even despite consistently losing the ruck, shows just how good that group is.

My pecking order

1 Richmond

2 Port Adelaide
3 Brisbane
4 Geelong

5 West Coast

6 St Kilda
7 Bulldogs
8 Collingwood

Geelong have slipped a bit but I was still very impressed when they played us, particularly in the first half. I haven't seen control used against us like that.
Id put us in that second group. Tiges are def the team to beat, but its happened before today

My pecking order

1 Richmond

2 Port Adelaide
3 Brisbane
4 Geelong

5 West Coast

6 St Kilda
7 Bulldogs
8 Collingwood

Agree. This is the order for me.

My pecking order

1 Richmond

2 Port Adelaide
3 Brisbane
4 Geelong

5 West Coast

6 St Kilda
7 Bulldogs
8 Collingwood

Good pecking order here.

If we have a wet pouring rain GABBA GF, I think it suits the Lions. Sure the highly skilled players shine in wet conditions, but in 2020, you dont need many goals to win a game, literally 8 goals may be enough, I could see the Lions jagging a few "lucky" goals in wet conditions which may be enough.

Lets not forget the Swans pushed the Tigers hard earlier this year in horrible wet weather footy.

Back