Why are we not talking about this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Truly cringeworthy.
The abuse towards female umpires is very different to that hurled at male umps.
Ive never heard a male umpire threatened with rape.
Ive never heard a male umpire told he had a nice arse or ****.
Why are we doing this?
Why aren’t spectators in earshot not challenging the abuser?
Why was a 21 year old female umpire protected by a “waterboy” from a hyped up male agressor?
Just what are we becoming?
Time for all of us to start being pro active and call out these people.
Dont get me wrong, “scumpire” is one of my favourite sayings. But I draw the line at abuse of a sexual nature or physical confrontation.
After a game, no matter how the umpire decisions have gone, I’d happily have a beer with them because it’s only a game and real life begins when the final siren goes.

We? Don’t lump everyone in with the tiny minority of people who think this behaviour is ok.
99.9% of people find this stuff abhorrent and would like nothing more than to see it eradicated.

Clearly what has been happening is wrong and needs to change. I haven't been to local footy except for a few games up bush where the umpires look like Stewie Dew for ages so I have no concept of how common this is.

I'd like to think other people in the crowd would pull someone up doing that kind of crap, but the risk of a smack in the mouth from some wound up feral tool would put many off.

Truly cringeworthy.
Why are we doing this?
Why was a 21 year old female umpire protected by a “waterboy” from a hyped up male agressor?
Dont get me wrong, “scumpire” is one of my favourite sayings. But I draw the line at abuse of a sexual nature or physical confrontation.
After a game, no matter how the umpire decisions have gone, I’d happily have a beer with them because it’s only a game and real life begins when the final siren goes.

So umpire abuse that isn’t of a sexual or physical nature is ok? Because you would be prepared to have a beer with them after abusing them? Odd.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Truly cringeworthy.
Why are we doing this?
Whether you're prepared to admit it or not, “scumpire” is abuse, regardless of whether its at an AFL game where the umpire cant hear it, or at a local game. What makes you think they'd want to have a beer with you after the game after you'd called them scum? Who do you think you are?

Whether you're prepared to admit it or not, “scumpire” is abuse, regardless of whether its at an AFL game where the umpire cant hear it, or at a local game. What makes you think they'd want to have a beer with you after the game after you'd called them scum? Who do you think you are?

That the poster chose to reveal himself in this manner is rather telling.

“It’s not abuse if you don’t really mean it. Just part of the game innit?”

Hoist with his own social justice petard.

Clearly what has been happening is wrong and needs to change. I haven't been to local footy except for a few games up bush where the umpires look like Stewie Dew for ages so I have no concept of how common this is.

I'd like to think other people in the crowd would pull someone up doing that kind of crap, but the risk of a smack in the mouth from some wound up feral tool would put many off.

I understand your suggestion but I dont understand why peaceful blokes like me are always being asked to intervene in stopping maniacs.

i hold grudges for a long time. I'd never have a beer with someone who abused me. It used to take me a while to get over being disrespected by mates when i played sport with them. So I dont think you can expect everyone to take abuse like a grain of salt as if it washes away with a few beers.

Having a rant about an umpires decision and abusing an umpire for just about anything else are not the same thing. Stopping crowds from reacting to decisions against their team that seem unfair (so just about any adverse decision) rather defeats the purpose of having spectators. They are there to react. The trick is to keep the reactions to the game itself. I don't see any way to actually control this. It's up to people to do the right thing.

From the snippets of the report that I have seen, the real problem is in junior and local football (and all other sports). Parents who can't see past their own kids make up most of it. Going to my son's underage soccer games was a real trial because of the unbelievable aggression from some parents, and that was not restricted to umpire abuse. As often as not they abused their own kids for underperformance. There were no female umpires in those days, so I never saw any sexist stuff, but I have no trouble picturing it.

I understand your suggestion but I dont understand why peaceful blokes like me are always being asked to intervene in stopping maniacs.
It is a difficult one, but I think peaceful blokes like you (and me) can do a great amount of good by calling out this sort of behaviour. The more people have their conduct called out the less likely they, and others around them, will engage in that conduct. It just becomes more and more unacceptable. They might still sit around with their mates complaining that "you can't say anything now", but they will become quieter and quieter in public to the point where no-one has to hear them anymore.

That the poster chose to reveal himself in this manner is rather telling.

“It’s not abuse if you don’t really mean it. Just part of the game innit?”

Hoist with his own social justice petard.

So you have never called out a decision that has been missed like holding the ball or if a player has been caught high.

Think that you are demeaning the point of the post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you have never called out a decision that has been missed like holding the ball or if a player has been caught high.

I think there is quite a difference between thinking a decision is incorrect and calling an umpire scum. I say this having been a repeat offender of both

"Calling out a decision"(which I don't do much of - having experienced the fun times of being a club-supplied ump in the ammos) is very different from using terms like "scumpire", which is abuse. Suggesting one form of abuse can be solved by a beer is problematic.

You should keep ignoring me.

I think there is quite a difference between thinking a decision is incorrect and calling an umpire scum. I say this having been a repeat offender of both
Not sure that was the point of the original post though.

If we concentrate on the one sentence of the post the point is totally missed.

Having a rant about an umpires decision and abusing an umpire for just about anything else are not the same thing. Stopping crowds from reacting to decisions against their team that seem unfair (so just about any adverse decision) rather defeats the purpose of having spectators. They are there to react. The trick is to keep the reactions to the game itself. I don't see any way to actually control this. It's up to people to do the right thing.

From the snippets of the report that I have seen, the real problem is in junior and local football (and all other sports). Parents who can't see past their own kids make up most of it. Going to my son's underage soccer games was a real trial because of the unbelievable aggression from some parents, and that was not restricted to umpire abuse. As often as not they abused their own kids for underperformance. There were no female umpires in those days, so I never saw any sexist stuff, but I have no trouble picturing it.
I go to junior football and they have a person from each team walking around and if the spectators abuse decisions, they are warned and if the umpire (he/she) hears it can award a free kick to the opposing team. Think that stops a fair bit of abuse, I haven't really heard any recently.

Not sure that was the point of the original post though.

If we concentrate on the one sentence of the post the point is totally missed.

I go to junior football and they have a person from each team walking around and if the spectators abuse decisions, they are warned and if the umpire (he/she) hears it can award a free kick to the opposing team. Think that stops a fair bit of abuse, I haven't really heard any recently.

That's a good idea. Is it easy to get volunteers?

It’s time for Australia to grow up & stop abusing umpires.
Booing a controversial decision is fine (Your right to express yourself at the Footy).
However, direct verbal abuse or physically threatening umpires should never be accepted.
We all have a role to play, to set a new standard.
It’s part of our culture to boo Politicians & Umpires, although I would imagine this may diminish over time?
It was disappointing after the AFLW Grand-final…when the MC asked the crowd to acknowledge the umpires…& appeared shocked when the booing commenced (that was always going to happen).
The most important step is to stop the abuse.

They have to have them. Yes pretty easy.

A son of mine used to play in a fairly upper middle class suburb. They used to play teams from the "other side of town" a few times. I'm not sure parents would feel comfortable reporting people that they dont know. To me, it seems even harder than to get the crowd to call out someone informally...

It was disappointing after the AFLW Grand-final…when the MC asked the crowd to acknowledge the umpires…& appeared shocked when the booing commenced (that was always going to happen).
The most important step is to stop the abuse.

Wouldnt it help to get rid of some of the mindless booing? Or at least cut it down a little.... I was amazed after the carlton port game (which carlton just won and it was in melb) that the carlton crowd cheered the win but a significant portion spent their time booing the umpires off the ground. The carlton people arent the only ones that do this. They tell me it's tribal...

Truly cringeworthy.
Why are we doing this?

Male umpires face the exact same abuse, many are threatened with violence or receive death threats. Same have had people follow them to the car park. This is not a female issue.

Male umpires face the exact same abuse, many are threatened with violence or receive death threats. Same have had people follow them to the car park. This is not a female issue.

"the exact same abuse" as the males are threatened with rape? They are sent unsolicited nude pics? They get touched inappropriately? They have coaches come up to them and say to them" don't want you to umpire, you're a female, you can't umpire"?????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back