Why don't spinners have more variations?

Remove this Banner Ad

er because humans can only do so many variations of the arm movement and eyesight, and leg traction and then
that each and everyone of us will just use our limbs in a certain way..

It is what it is...

Variation doesn't mean anything or have any benefit if the batsman can immediately recognise it. You could name on one hand the number of guys in the world at the moment whose wrong un or top spinner isn't obviously different out of the hand than the leg spinner. Warne's flipper was successful in his earlier test days because it looked like a long hop leg break.

It doesn't say but I think this is the flipper here, sort of squirted out the hand with a leg break action as Nobby said designed to fool the batsman with length. I think the flipper needed extra oomph from the bowling action so after Warnie did his shoulder he couldn't bowl it as well and relied more on his slider.

Been watching highlights of Warne on youtube. From what I could tell he had 4 different deliveries. The stock leg break. The topspinner, the flipper and I've course the wrong'un. Having such an array of deliveries obviously made him as dangerous as he was. The way he would set up batsman for this flipper was masterful.

Most spinners however only have 2 deliveries. Their stock delivery and the googly. Take the current day spinners except Rashid Khan I can't really think of any other spinners that have more than 2 variations. Take a current international spinner like Adam Zampa From what I've watched of him he's never even once attempted a flipper in a game before? Infact there's quite a crop of young leggies around world cricket yet haven't seen them bowl and other deliveries besides the standard leg break and wrong un. Not a flipper or toppie in sight?

Why do you guys think spinners lack variation.

Spin bowling is all about deception. Some spinners use different types of deliveries to deceive eg wrongun'/googly, doosra, top spinner, flipper, while other spinners use variations of the one delivery. The key is for every delivery to look almost identical out of the hand, while varying the speed, length, angle, and revolutions. Accuracy is also huge - batsmen prey upon the full toss and rank long hop, so a spinner that can accurately land on type of delivery will have more success than one that can bowl 4 different deliveries, but can't land them.

All this talk of Warne's flipper but none of Daryll Cullinan? I'm sure that bloke's still receiving counselling.

Never saw Clarrie Grimmett bowl, but geez his stats are pretty amazing. Fastest Aussie to 200 test wickets for a long time, if not still. Plus his name is Clarrie. Not enough Clarries in the modern world.

Never saw Clarrie Grimmett bowl, but geez his stats are pretty amazing. Fastest Aussie to 200 test wickets for a long time, if not still. Plus his name is Clarrie. Not enough Clarries in the modern world.
Bowled with a cap too.

Bring that back

The amazing thing about Grimmett is he didn't make his Test debut until the age of 33 and averaged 6 wickets per Test. Even though he took 44 wickets in a 5 Test series v South Africa in 1935-36, the selectors decided at 44 years of age he was too old for Test cricket. In his final 3 innings with the ball, he took 7/49, 7/100 and 6/73. You would have thought he could have at least failed before being dropped.

He was born in NZ, went to NSW to play cricket. In his 3 seasons, he didn't get a state match there, married a Melbourne girl, went to Victoria where he played 6 years of grade cricket before getting his 1 and only game for the Vics, taking 9 wickets. He was 32 years of age by them. He went to SA the following year where he took a further 504 Sheffield Shield wickets, and at 49 years of age established an Australian record of 73 1st class wickets in a domestic season.

Amazing record. He was once chastised by his captain Monty Noble in England for bowling his overs too quickly!!!! He used to bowl a 6 ball over in 90 seconds :)

It has been speculated that Don Bradman brought about the pre-mature ending of his Test and eventually 1st class career. Even though they played club, state and Test cricket together and enjoyed remarkable success, it has been said the two didn't like each other.

Last edited:
You've mentioned spinners but really you're talking leggies.

Hardly any can bowl the flipper. Warne was a freak.

I was chatting a very experienced English cricket writer once who'd worked for big daily papers and I asked him how do you bowl a flipper, he didn't have a clue. I asked which direction the ball was rotating and he wasn't even very sure of that. It's a mystery to most people. Finally I was like well there must be a hint of back spin if it's skidding low, because top spin bounces it up and if you watch grass court tennis top spin is dip and bounce and back spin is that low bounce where it just skids.

Kumble, MacGill, Mustaq did they bowl a flipper between them?

I can't remember if Abdul Qadir did, I feels he's more likely but he had a good googly so maybe not.

As for finger spinners, before DRS they were all trying to bowl doosras, which I have to say I think is virtually impossible to bowl legally. And off spinners lacking one were considered cannon fodder; then DRS comes in and we see loads of these shouts for LBW that were never given were actually out and then all they needed was a good arm ball to attack the outside edge and they were right back in the game. Swann benefitted as an office who put decent revs on the ball and had a good arm ball.

Talking of Warne and variations you can essentially spin the ball in 4 basic directions...left, right , forwards or back.

Warne rarely spun it to the right, for the latter part of his career he couldn't bowl the flipper either.

So he had overspin and spin to the left. And there's infinite variations on the percentage of each you put into a delivery. Bowl with the rotation at 45° down to 3rd man then bowl the next ball say 6 inches either way on the crease and increase the amount of top and little less side and whilst everything might appear the same to the batsman you've just asked a different question.

That ball that bowled Strauss from the rough was a pure side spinner. There was no overspin at all. It hit the rough and turned big.

But he'd rarely bowl that ball at other times because there's no guile that the overspin produces by dropping the ball a fraction before the batsman is positioned for. Also I'm guessing that the mixture of top and side spin produced that massive drift he got in his first decade, obviously combined with the dip it was ferocious, even if the ball didn't turn it would be a handful. Gatting ball being a good example.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't all fast bowlers bowl at 150 km/h?
Why don't all batsman hook or pull short balls for 6?

... not everyone can, even though some very skilled players do and make it look easy.

All this talk of Warne's flipper but none of Daryll Cullinan? I'm sure that bloke's still receiving counselling.

You can see his (quaint by modern standards) action here:

Paul Adams took 134 wickets @ 33 and has the most wickets of any South African spinner in history. All with the worst action I've ever seen.

Mr Richard Prior will be from now on... castigated and made insensible..
what in the world are you thinking dude..? I have nothing against Antigone.. and I have nothing against humour..

so there runs my narrative.. Choo Choo Choo...

Mr Richard Prior will be from now on... castigated and made insensible..
what in the world are you thinking dude..? I have nothing against Antigone.. and I have nothing against humour..

so there runs my narrative.. Choo Choo Choo...
Put the crackpipe down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back