Media Why Expansion is Narrowing Our Minds

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean recently. Activity at least when the Dees played you guys was below average. I will give you that since then there's Fumbles who keeps improving plus CB17 and Eagleoz.

If you'd landed BBB...

Just on this point so I can see where you're coming from.

Introduction into the SFA was with the Gumbies.
"Cultivation" of a poster in the SFA was with the Gumbies.
Release being granted so that he can play with family, was our decision to make instead of trying to make him stay or trying to lure his brother over from the Furies.

I'd consider that personally as a Gumby "history" as a poster for Eagleoz, that as a Fury whilst people may see him as a benefit, he may also become like a Farrand and fade or crash back in a different "culture" of club. So the question then being what's your impetus for adding him and counting that in the context of recruitment?

The person that runs the SFA and the creator of the sim just stated above you that they were for expansion. Does the word relevance have any meaning to you?

ljp and I are fully aware that we generally disagree on this topic, and we have disagreed for many seasons. We sometimes lock horns good-naturedly, sometimes less so. There's some decent reasoning behind both sides of the argument. I don't think it will come as any shock to him that I've posted "fer" expansion. Not sure if Boncer's stance is a surprise or no, though.

ljp and I are fully aware that we generally disagree on this topic, and we have disagreed for many seasons. We sometimes lock horns good-naturedly, sometimes less so. There's some decent reasoning behind both sides of the argument. I don't think it will come as any shock to him that I've posted "fer" expansion. Not sure if Boncer's stance is a surprise or no, though.

Boncer, and Doggies before him, knocked back some expansion ideas. ClarkeM also took the idea to Bonce and was rejected (based on what he posted, I was not involved at this stage). So Boncer seems to have come to an opinion that expansion is now a good option.

I fear that a new club will mean that one club eventually goes the way of the Alberton Swamprats. Posters that are good enough for decent positions can still find themselves at clubs that will play them there.

The argument goes both ways. Some say that people will not continue to post if they are stuck in a dodgy position due to too many active posters. Some say that people will not stick around just because they are in a good position if their teammates are not making it fun for them.

Unless an expansion team could guarantee the introduction of fresh posters over a sustainable period, attracting posters that otherwise would not have been attracted, then I do not believe an expansion team would be effective long term. Let us remember we have had other teams before, and some have failed. And we have some current teams that need a leg up.

It is just my opinion, hence it was an opinion piece. I'm glad to see it has generated some good discussion and opinions. I was just offended by LJP ignoring the issue and telling me my thread was irrelevant and useless.

Lol at ljp having a go at okey when they agree on the issue.

I don't see what the big deal is about playing in "good positions." As long as There are other fun active posters in the team, and nobody that really annoys me in my club I can't see any desire or need to switch clubs.

The main priority should be getting the current sides as active as possible.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken

You wanted to expand? When?

And knock me down with a feather. Lj put in his place by Okey. Sooner Easty takes over leadership of the Dragons the better.

Lol at ljp having a go at okey when they agree on the issue.

I don't see what the big deal is about playing in "good positions." As long as There are other fun active posters in the team, and nobody that really annoys me in my club I can't see any desire or need to switch clubs.

The main priority should be getting the current sides as active as possible.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken

But having the current sides as active as possible (12+) really does require at least a new team... as stated in the points that myself and Mobbs have made earlier.

You wanted to expand? When?

And knock me down with a feather. Lj put in his place by Okey. Sooner Easty takes over leadership of the Dragons the better.

If I had access to the board, I would show you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stats don't lie.

If the league wants more actives it needs more teams.

I can't poach an awesome poster and give them half back flank. :p

I was deluded about the need for the inactives once but not anymore. Teams need filler.

The stats don't lie.

I was deluded about the need for the inactives once but not anymore. Teams need filler.

I actually agree with this. Having 20 consistent actives will never happen. Using the Dragons as an example I had one former player flat out tell me that he lost interest in the SFA because he was playing back-line every week.

Now I'm going to sound high and mighty here, but if every club had our levels of activity, expansion would have to happen... but the facts are they aren't and we're the front runners in activity terms.

Lj made a great point to the nongs that claimed that 8-1+1 = expansion though. Doing that only moves the problems over to the new club, it doesn't fix them.

Mobbs and my argument isn't quite that simple Easty.

Yeah I know, although I'm not quite sure what your argument actually is if I'm honest.

I'm just saying it if were the case that every team had lets say 15 active posters... expansion would have to happen in order to keep them interested.

But then there's the issue of diluting each team by 2-3 posters.. them agreeing to that.. gauging the response to the bye etc.

I think if the Trolls actually hung around this would be a much more serious proposition but in reality their timing was bad... and of course you aren't going to hang around if your application gets rejected.

My point is the idea of us one day gaining 15 active posters is fanciful. Its lovely but not going to happen. I'd say at best 10-12 posters would be the best to hope for. That gives us what? 80-96 posters. Which limits growth for newbies as the "good" spots are already taken.

We add another 10-12 "good" spots in the league by adding a new side and thus it moves our goal projection from 80-96 towards more like 90-108. I am aware thats possibly over simplifying the concept but I think to grow a new side or two may be need.

I actually went to Fred with a radical idea to shake it up a little but since he's failed to respond I think he's shelving it under the, "Man Boncers on some gooood s**t" file.

My negative reaction to the Trolls was they were a bunch of noobs thrown together with one known poster in the mix. Plus the name was rubbish to :D. If say you had come forward with a new side I'd be much more inclined to listen.

The stats don't lie.

Well the stats don't lie as they are facts, but the interpretation of the stats certainly does. Mobbs even acknowledged that the state of origin series attracts less interest as it is the off season.

I will use the Mount Buller Demons as an example as to why we do not need expansion at this point. When I had my brief stint as captain, it was after everybody jumped ship to other teams. Because the activity was dropping, more and more players dropped ship. This is despite the fact that logically, it would open up better positions.

At this point in the competition, the best posters in the league/teams could still move to one of the more inactive sides and demand a very good position. I am not fanciful enough to suggest that teams will ever have 15 highly active posters. But until we have a position where quality posters are forced to play in the backline, and no other teams could fit them in a good position either, then we do not need a new team.

No one has argued with the statistics that Mobbs bought up and it is good to see someone monitoring the situation. I just disagree with the interpretation, which is only my opinion.

I left the Demons as the league's highest goal scorer at full forward. I was captain. I could have played anywhere I wanted. But my enjoyment was gone, so I resigned as captain and joined another team who were more fun and active at that time.

What we need to investigate about new teams:
1) Will they bring in new posters
2) Will it expose the SFA to a new audience
3) long - term, will they be able to tap these resources, or end up relying on new sign ups?
4) How much do we predict activity to rise over the next 3 seasons?
5) What will the impacts be on current clubs over the next 3 seasons based on the potential activity rise, and the effects of the new club?

It is a difficult issue, and one that needs to be considered carefully.

FU. I came up with that name.

And I heavily endorsed it.

It was so much better than the 'Scully $$' one of whatever the **** it was.

If you are aiming for 10-12... we'll are we basically there? Someone dig up beez's thread with all that info for me please.

I know the Dragons averaged 13.5 for the season... close to finals 14 was our lowest. In fact I think the lowest average was 10.something. With the influx of new posters from the SoO... maybe the time is now to expand?

The Northern Phoenix sure could do with a football club at the Fire Pit during the winter :p

The stats don't lie.

Couldn't agree more!;)

Well the stats don't lie as they are facts, but the interpretation of the stats certainly does. Mobbs even acknowledged that the state of origin series attracts less interest as it is the off season.

I will use the Mount Buller Demons as an example as to why we do not need expansion at this point. When I had my brief stint as captain, it was after everybody jumped ship to other teams. Because the activity was dropping, more and more players dropped ship. This is despite the fact that logically, it would open up better positions.

At this point in the competition, the best posters in the league/teams could still move to one of the more inactive sides and demand a very good position. I am not fanciful enough to suggest that teams will ever have 15 highly active posters. But until we have a position where quality posters are forced to play in the backline, and no other teams could fit them in a good position either, then we do not need a new team.

No one has argued with the statistics that Mobbs bought up and it is good to see someone monitoring the situation. I just disagree with the interpretation, which is only my opinion.

I left the Demons as the league's highest goal scorer at full forward. I was captain. I could have played anywhere I wanted. But my enjoyment was gone, so I resigned as captain and joined another team who were more fun and active at that time.

What we need to investigate about new teams:
1) Will they bring in new posters
2) Will it expose the SFA to a new audience
3) long - term, will they be able to tap these resources, or end up relying on new sign ups?
4) How much do we predict activity to rise over the next 3 seasons?
5) What will the impacts be on current clubs over the next 3 seasons based on the potential activity rise, and the effects of the new club?

It is a difficult issue, and one that needs to be considered carefully.

Your example here is pretty outdated. I've got no idea how active previous seasons were since I wasn't around, but from what I can tell s14 was a billion times better than any other season in terms of activity.

Other posters jumping ship could also be attributed to posters feeling like the club is going under due to the captain jumping ship.

I'm neither for or against expansion btw, I just think you need a more relevant example with less holes

While I'm here, let me post the Demons lineup for an upcoming practice match and basically our starting 20 for next season. Active posters are bolded.
B: Wickzki, Deestroy, DEMON PRIDE
HB: Joe King, Quivorir, vWestCoast
C: Mr Zero, Rhodesy_Blues, Logger
HF: uncustom, cats2rise*, cooney
F: Demon 86, Juggalo Balla, The Falcon Strike**
R: Deddy, doggies ftw, Eth
INT: Crimson Azure, Age of SMD

From that, our whole midfield and half our forward line is packed with active posters, pushing Quivorir and vWestCoast into the backline. Pretty harsh on these guys seeing as they were hugely vital in our posting numbers last year when EBIAC went missing.

*time is yet to tell whether c2r will continue to be active.

**I think TFS was active at the end of last year while I wasn't around, but I haven't seen him that much since my return so I've labelled him as inactive

EDIT: Keeping in mind that at the start of each season usually one or two active posters could join a squad, we may end up with active guys sitting in the back pocket at some stage next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back