Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some doctrines are more antithetical to western liberal values than others. But sure, they are amplified based on how those ideas are taught, practiced and expressed.
All doctrines can be interpreted peacefully or violently, none of them are more or less antithetical to liberal values, social and geopolitical factors guide how people interpret them in the modern world.

All doctrines can be interpreted peacefully or violently, none of them are more or less antithetical to liberal values, social and geopolitical factors guide how people interpret them in the modern world.
These are dumb blanket statements, nonsensical platitudes and jarring false equivalences. You are ignoring the details because it either makes you feel good or you don't know what you're on about. Maybe both.

Of course some doctrines are more antithetical to liberal values than others. Are you high? Why would you say something so stupid?

In Tanzania, some folks believe albinos are "haunted" and their limbs have magic powers, so they hunt them and kill them or hack them apart. This is deranged, medieval bullshit. Would you say the doctrines that lead to this practice are antithetical to liberal values?

How about religious justifications for slavery? Or religious justifications for honour killings? Are they more or less antithetical to liberal values? You can't say?

By comparison, in 21st-century Anglicanism, what is the equivalent to the doctrines of apostasy, martyrdom and blasphemy as expressed in Sunni Wahhabism?

And these aren't antithetical to liberal values? What a load of rubbish. You're confused. It's like you don't even know how liberal values function and how they might be undermined.

What are these all-encompassing "social and geopolitical factors" that you'd prefer to talk about? That could describe virtually anything.

Let me guess: the 9/11 hijackers weren't motivated by religion. Nah, it was "social and geopolitical factors". Is that how it goes? We can never say Islam was a factor.

Belief systems are just a series of ideas. Why is it taboo to point out that people can be motivated by these ideas, some of which are more compatible with modern, secular, Western values than others? Why do you feel compelled to deny something so obvious?

Last edited:
These are dumb blanket statements, nonsensical platitudes and jarring false equivalences. You are ignoring the details because it either makes you feel good or you don't know what you're on about. Maybe both.

Of course some doctrines are more antithetical to liberal values than others. Are you high? Why would you say something so stupid?

In Tanzania, some folks believe albinos are "haunted" and their limbs have magic powers, so they hunt them and kill them or hack them apart. This is deranged, medieval bullshit. Would you say the doctrines that lead to this practice are antithetical to liberal values?

How about religious justifications for slavery? Or religious justifications for honour killings? Are they more or less antithetical to liberal values? You can't say?

By comparison, in 21st-century Anglicanism, what is the equivalent to the doctrines of apostasy, martyrdom and blasphemy as expressed in Sunni Wahhabism?

And these aren't antithetical to liberal values? What a load of rubbish. You're confused. It's like you don't even know how liberal values function and how they might be undermined.

What are these all-encompassing "social and geopolitical factors" that you'd prefer to talk about? That could describe virtually anything.

Let me guess: the 9/11 hijackers weren't motivated by religion. Nah, it was "social and geopolitical factors". Is that how it goes? We can never say Islam was a factor.

Belief systems are just a series of ideas. Why is it taboo to point out that people can be motivated by these ideas, some of which are more compatible with modern, secular, Western values than others? Why do you feel compelled to deny something so obvious?
You can find religious justifications for slavery, honour killings, racism, homophobia and more in the Christian Bible. It’s just not interpreted that way today because of modern social and geopolitical factors.

Give an Anglican 10 years in Afghanistan, living as a pawn for global superpowers, and watch their interpretations change.

You can find religious justifications for slavery, honour killings, racism, homophobia and more in the Christian Bible.
We generally reject those arguments because they're antithetical to our modern, secular, liberal values. So where folks are claiming religious justifications to continue those practices, we should examine those justifications, instead of ignoring them and blaming "other factors".

Do you not understand that?

Are you seriously arguing that Sunni Wahhabism, which remains committed to a 7th-century theory of prophetic judgement, is no more antithetical to those modern values than post-Enlightenment Christianity?

Do you know nothing?

It’s just not interpreted that way today because of modern social and geopolitical factors.
See above.

Why was Samuel Paty murdered? Was that because of religion or these other factors?

I'll tell you: it was because of Islamic extremism, a violent expression of the Islamic doctrine around blasphemy.

How far do you have to bend over backwards before you point to the belief system?

Give an Anglican 10 years in Afghanistan, living as a pawn for global superpowers, and watch their interpretations change.
As though militant Wahhabism is limited to Afghanistan?

Why are you so unwilling to examine the doctrines?

Show me the equivalents in 21st-century Anglicanism to the doctrines of apostasy, martyrdom and blasphemy, as expressed in Sunni Wahhabism.

Where are the equivalents of the fatwa against Salman Rushdie or the Charlie Hebdo attacks?

The equivalents don't exist.

And yet you insist the belief system has nothing to do with anything of this? Or that this belief system is not antithetical to our liberal, secular, Western values?

Why are you so desperate to pretend this?

What are the other commitments that make you unwilling to consider whether the belief system is a factor? Do you think this makes you sound smart? On the contrary, it makes you sound ignorant of all the details that would matter if you were informed.

Last edited:
Seriously?
How hurt are you?
Scott Morrison rarely ever gets a mention in the press for his crimes.
The Catholic Priests deserve to be exposed at every turn, but really you could count on one hand the times that a "Christian Fundamentalist" has been openly called such in the media in a murder case.
I’m not hurt because I have no faith.

If you’re aware of a comparable crime by ScoMo then you’d mention it.

You can find religious justifications for slavery, honour killings, racism, homophobia and more in the Christian Bible. It’s just not interpreted that way today because of modern social and geopolitical factors.

It's not too long ago that your average Christian was just keen to murder infidels, apostates and heretics as your average Islamic fundamentalist is today.

It's not too long ago that your average Christian was just keen to murder infidels, apostates and heretics as your average Islamic fundamentalist is today.

The mainstream Christian organizations have been forced to change some of their views and practises in line with modern standards.
Groups from certain other religions seem to take more of the approach that they should gain control of sections of society and force them back into barbaric ways.

For example, its unlikely that Gay couples or transgender people will cope well in Afghanistan in the near future.

Are they striving towards bettering the human race?

The mainstream Christian organizations have been forced to change some of their views and practises in line with modern standards.
Groups from certain other religions seem to take more of the approach that they should gain control of sections of society and force them back into barbaric ways.

For example, its unlikely that Gay couples or transgender people will cope well in Afghanistan in the near future.

If you think I was talking about the modern mainstream churches, you probably need to get up to speed with European history.

There was no defence of Islamic fundamentalism in my comment, but since we're here.

Afghanistan is a failed state, thanks in part to the US.

As for Iran, the US has been pissed off with them since their strongman was overthrown.

91270892-E076-4168-93B9-A413684E2530.jpeg

Some of the smaller fundamentalist groups in the US considered the Iraq War 2 as a Crusade.
Nut cases will gravitate towards any ideology that provides them with a sense of exceptionalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently NZ authorities fully aware of this guy and how dangerous he was but failed to prevent him walking into a store and stabbing 7 people.

Police surveillance officers were not able to be nearer to the man due to COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.

What a * up!

Apparently NZ authorities fully aware of this guy and how dangerous he was but failed to prevent him walking into a store and stabbing 7 people.

Police surveillance officers were not able to be nearer to the man due to COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.

What a fu** up!

Its pretty normal.
Assault laws are so wishy washy you can't keep anyone locked up until they actually kill someone.

No different from when women know their ex-partner is coming after them, ....restraining order ? Yeah sure.

(read in private window to avoid paywall)

I found this article incredible, it made me question some of my own opinions of the challenges faced by migrant communities and why some have been more successful at cultural integration.

Punchy High sounded wild.

Another article (written before the first) describing Punch high 13 years later.

Dib is now the NSW Shadow Education Minister.

(read in private window to avoid paywall)

I found this article incredible, it made me question some of my own opinions of the challenges faced by migrant communities and why some have been more successful at cultural integration.
Bashir massaged the base of his circumcised-penis-shaped-head as he said in a deep croaky voice: “You gotta admit, sir, America asked for it.”

WTF?

Some folks argue that "all cultures are equal".

I'm sorry but any culture that bans half the population from playing sport doesn't deserve to be defended by Western apologists.

And for folks who would claim "it's got nothing to do with Islam", consider the Taliban's reasons and justifications for such a ban. But of course, the belief system is not a factor. It's never a factor. It's because of "geopolitical factors". Or something. Ask JackOutback.

The Taliban is grotesque and religious doctrine is central to its worldview. And some folks say this doctrine is not incompatible with 21st-century, liberal, secular society?

This is medieval bullshit.

The deputy head of the Taliban’s cultural commission, Ahmadullah Wasiq, said women’s sport was considered neither appropriate nor necessary.

"I don't think women will be allowed to play cricket because it is not necessary that women should play cricket," Wasiq said. "In cricket, they might face a situation where their face and body will not be covered. Islam does not allow women to be seen like this.

"It is the media era, and there will be photos and videos, and then people watch it. Islam and the Islamic Emirate [Afghanistan] do not allow women to play cricket or play the kind of sports where they get exposed."

Last edited:
They ban Afghanistan. Rightly so. The Taliban doesn't want to be a pariah state. Playing international sport against them confers legitimacy.
They were saying on the radio that an ICC rule is, a country must have a womens team to be a member. So only a matter of time before the mens team is banned. We have a tri series against them later in the year planned and Afganistan qualified for the world cup. So looks like that wont happen for Afganistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back