Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don’t blame Islam for anything. Nor do I blame Christianity for anything. I blame extremist religion for blindly leading the naive to a place of fantasy. There are extremes in all religious institutions which are dangerous and fanciful.

Religion is the reason the world is where it is and has had the problems and bloodshed it has had.

I don’t blame Islam for anything. Nor do I blame Christianity for anything. I blame extremist religion for blindly leading the naive to a place of fantasy. There are extremes in all religious institutions which are dangerous and fanciful.

Religion is the reason the world is where it is and has had the problems and bloodshed it has had.
But not all religions are the same. When was the last time you heard about a Mormon suicide bomber? Their beliefs are ridiculous but for some reason they very rarely manifest in violence. Why is that?

We have to be able to identify bad ideas where they reside at the most fundamental level, as well as the ways they are promoted, taught and practiced, and consider why they might be expressed violently. It's not accurate to simply say "nah, it's all religion". Certainly, there is an irrationality that is common to various belief systems but this doesn't specifically identify the ideas that are more incompatible with Western liberal values than others, both fundamentally and in practice.

Last edited:
But not all religions are the same. When was the last time you heard about a Mormon suicide bomber? Their beliefs are ridiculous but for some reason they very rarely manifest in violence. Why is that?

We have to be able to identify bad ideas where they reside at the most fundamental level, as well as the ways they are promoted, taught and practiced, and consider why they might be expressed violently. It's not accurate to simply say "nah, it's all religion". Certainly, there is an irrationality that is common to various belief systems but this doesn't specifically identify the ideas that are more incompatible with Western liberal values than others, both fundamentally and in practice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_violence#:~:text=Other Mormon leaders led the,War and Black Hawk War.

Extremist religion, or so, extremist elements of religion and individuals with fanatical ideologies. That’s more where I was going.

Imagine if they made a comedy play "The book of Islam "

Imagine if they made a comedy play "The book of Islam "
I'm sure everyone will be fine with it.
Salman Rushdie got a few laughs with his book and everyone reacted in a totally rational manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have vague memories of trying to read SVs when I was about 17 and most of it going over my head.
They aren't easy reads. I've only read The Satanic Verses and Midnight's Children and that was a while ago

Extremist religion, or so, extremist elements of religion and individuals with fanatical ideologies. That’s more where I was going.
This still seems like a deliberate attempt to ignore the differences between religions.

There are some belief systems that contain ideas - both fundamentally and in practice - that are more antithetical to western liberal values. It shouldn't be taboo to say that.

It's not accurate to remove these disinctions and condemn religion equally across the board.

Last edited:
This still seems like a deliberate attempt to ignore the differences between religions.

There are some belief systems that contain ideas - both fundamentally and in practice - that are more antithetical to western liberal values. It shouldn't be taboo to say that.

It's not accurate to remove these disinctions and condemn religion equally across the board.
I just don’t believe in sky wizards. I think it’s all a bit of a furphy.

I just don’t believe in sky wizards. I think it’s all a bit of a furphy.
That's great but it's not an argument for not recognising which belief systems are more antithetical to western liberal values than others.

Let's say one sky wizard supposedly tells people to chill out and be nice to each other. Another sky wizard supposedly tells people that they need to convert everyone on pain of death and suicide bombers will be rewarded in paradise.

You don't need to believe the sky wizards are real to say which set of beliefs is preferable. I know which believer I'd rather have living next door to me.

Insisting that "nah I don't believe in either" simply refuses to recognise the obvious distinction.

All religions are extremist ideologies, it simply takes modern geopolitical and social factors to ramp the crazy up to violence.
Some doctrines are more antithetical to western liberal values than others. But sure, they are amplified based on how those ideas are taught, practiced and expressed.

This doesn't mean they're all the same. It means we need to precise when identifying the ways they're different.

Last edited:
If it was a Christian fundamentalist motivation, it might make the news in Australia.
Seriously?
How hurt are you?
Scott Morrison rarely ever gets a mention in the press for his crimes.
The Catholic Priests deserve to be exposed at every turn, but really you could count on one hand the times that a "Christian Fundamentalist" has been openly called such in the media in a murder case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back