Will Etihad Stadium finally break 55,000?

Essendon vs Hawthorn Attendance?

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 40,000- 45,000

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 45,000- 47,500

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 47,500- 50,000

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 50,000- 52,500

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • 52, 500- 55,000

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct - I have a mate who's company have 4 seats on level 2. They get 4 tickets to every game of football at Etihad. If he does not have any one to go those 4 seats will be empty - cannot be re-sold.

I think for all of the reserved seats there should be a system where the people who have these seats should have to call up the stadium lets say 1 day before the event to confirm they will be using them. Otherwise they are released for that night to the public.

Would mean a lot less empty seats and more people able to see it. I get sick of seeing empty seats on Level 1 and 2 especially.

And the same goes for the MCG

The reason they can't get over 55K at ES is the same reason they don't get 100K at the GF. The AFL has sold its soul to the corporates and they don't always go so seats remain empty.

Fo big matches they should do what the do at Wimbeldon for the finals, if you haven't entered the stadium by a certain time your ticket is resold to someone else. So working on this if someone hasn't arrived by 1/4 time then stiff sh*t you lose your seat and someone else can have it.

Essendon members can return their seat to the club, and you get a credit toward next year’s membership if it re-sells.

What’s more, just for this week’s game the club have promised a credit to everyone who returns their seat, whether or not it’s actually re-sold. That should see the vast majority return it if they can’t attend.

A lot would depend on the re-selling of these seats – if they just go back into the GA pool then they should all re-sell. I know earlier in the year Ticketmaster were selling them separate to this and advertising them as “seats in the Essendon members area”. That would make them less appealing to Hawthorn members if they’re still doing this.

There’s not a terrible lot of GA tickets at EFC home games at Etihad because of the compulsory reserved seats. I’d say that and standing room should sell out.

Probably the biggest gaps will be in Axcess One and Medallion Club – these are permanent reserved seats that can’t be re-sold. They are fully transferrable however so hopefully they’re all handballed on to somebody who will use them.

I think it’ll be probably 51k or 52k.

Essendon members can return their seat to the club, and you get a credit toward next year’s membership if it re-sells.

What’s more, just for this week’s game the club have promised a credit to everyone who returns their seat, whether or not it’s actually re-sold. That should see the vast majority return it if they can’t attend.

A lot would depend on the re-selling of these seats – if they just go back into the GA pool then they should all re-sell. I know earlier in the year Ticketmaster were selling them separate to this and advertising them as “seats in the Essendon members area”. That would make them less appealing to Hawthorn members if they’re still doing this.

There’s not a terrible lot of GA tickets at EFC home games at Etihad because of the compulsory reserved seats. I’d say that and standing room should sell out.

Probably the biggest gaps will be in Axcess One and Medallion Club – these are permanent reserved seats that can’t be re-sold. They are fully transferrable however so hopefully they’re all handballed on to somebody who will use them.

I think it’ll be probably 51k or 52k.
Definately more than 51 or 52 thousand for four simple reasons:
1. Essendon has more home members than Geelong and that game had 50,000 last week.
2. Essendon can sell back their seat.
3. Friday night is a great timeslot.
4. Versions a true premiership threat

I've known this for a while, but most members cannot be bothered with the whole selling back your ticket process. This may just be because there is a lack of information and promotion about it, but something has to change.

Tens of thousands of people missed out on tonight's match because of Etihad's capacity and to make matters worse there were a good 9,000 spare seats in the stadium. Granted the AFL should have scheduled this match at the MCG, but more has to be done so we can fill stadiums properly. Sell outs are embarrassing in these circumstances where there are thousands of members not even there.

Essendon supporters could still be playing at windy hill & the ground would be 80% full each week. I dont understand members who buy a membership & dont use it. Make ur money worth it & buy a jumper or jacket or somthing & a 3 game membership

Essendon supporters could still be playing at windy hill & the ground would be 80% full each week. I dont understand members who buy a membership & dont use it. Make ur money worth it & buy a jumper or jacket or somthing & a 3 game membership
Convenience. When they want to go they can and don't have to worry about buying tickets months in advance to get a good seat. I believe all Essendon games go on sale at the start of the season too.

Only Fully ticketed events have reached the Magic 55,000

Wallabies v British Lions 2001: 56,605
New South Wales v Queensland 2012: 56,021
Melbourne Victory v Adelaide UTD 2007: 55,436

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously if 55,000 wasn't broken in 2009 when both the Saints and Geelong were 13-0 and going into one of the most hyped up games in the modern era, I doubt it will ever be broken.

Only Fully ticketed events have reached the Magic 55,000

Wallabies v British Lions 2001: 56,605
New South Wales v Queensland 2012: 56,021
Melbourne Victory v Adelaide UTD 2007: 55,436

hey those games are on a rectangular pitch, wakey wakey, 55,000 people cant see for an AFL game - they cant see, why dont 55,000 people go ...

55,000 can go for a AFL they just dont sell restricted view seats for AFL matches at Etihad

In rectangular configuration it reduces the capacity to 53,000 with loss of standing room and pockets

Back