Restricted Free Agent Will Hayward [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Daly excels in picking late draftees so Swans have the luxury to trade as they please and still find value in the draft. I'd look into them targeting players like they did last year with Jordan & Grundy.
Yeah, agreed on that point as well.

The other thing is we've got Rampe, Parker, Lloyd, and Ladhams coming out of contract next year. So can save some money by getting them on lower dollars or trading/delisting (looking at you Ladhams). So the cap space we save from letting Hayward and Florent go, along with those older guys coming towards the end, will allow us to get our current and future re-signings done with a minimum of fuss.
We've got to re-sign guys like McInerney, Warner, Roberts next year.
If we move whatever picks we get into next year, we then have tradable commodities to use once we've got our core players re-signed and can target needs again in 2025.

Hayward and Florent have been great for us, and I think they'll be great for whoever they go to. But I just think that we'll look at some of the players we have waiting in the wings, and we'll back our player development process to fill those gaps with players that we already have, and use whatever we get for those two as a way to strengthen our team.

We can't match on Florent as he's UFA, but we can match on Hayward if we want to try to do a little better at the trade table than whatever compo we are offered. That is assuming that we have the cap space to play that game of course.
Whatever happens, it sucks to see them go, but I think it's probably pretty likely that they get squeezed out and as a fan I thank them for their service.

Last edited:

His asking price went up another notch after yesterday's effort.

There have been some frustrating years with Will in the team, but there have been some very good years too. I hope he gets paid the full bag and makes the most of it.

6 years is a lot for Hayward but we are desperate for a player of his type and quality. I doubt Sydney match that offer. The worry is other clubs with more cap flexibility beating us out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 years is a lot for Hayward but we are desperate for a player of his type and quality. I doubt Sydney match that offer. The worry is other clubs with more cap flexibility beating us out.

To be honest the contract length isn't that bad as Hayward has been reasonably injury free and he will be in your best 22 for those 6 years.

I don't want to lose him but I am resigned to the fact we will as we don't have the cap space to match.

Crows with a War Chest to distribute to willing soldiers. Hayward in, McHenry out

I can't see Sydney coming close to matching that offer. he is a role-player at the Swans a good one at that though.

To be honest the contract length isn't that bad as Hayward has been reasonably injury free and he will be in your best 22 for those 6 years.

I don't want to lose him but I am resigned to the fact we will as we don't have the cap space to match.
I wouldn't have thought the Blues would have masses of room either.
I suspect we'll need to be reasonably aggressive with moving on out of contract players in order to get him across, if he is actually interested.

I wouldn't have thought the Blues would have masses of room either.
I suspect we'll need to be reasonably aggressive with moving on out of contract players in order to get him across, if he is actually interested.

Martin and cuningham would be goneski id have thought.

Im sure youd love to offload young if someone would take his contract.

Someone would take him. Depth KPD are in vogue atm and he's more than adequate for other teams. North and Hawks would pick him up in a heartbeat I'd think.

Think Docherty sadly will likely pull the pin at the end of the season too (although more than happy if we wanted one last crack at a flag next seaaon)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back