Restricted Free Agent Will Hayward [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not this years output but there is every chance that Hayward’s current form is the high watermark of his career imo

Yeah I'm always nervous paying blokes through the roof off contract years. Lets call it the Rory Lobb or Jake Stringer effect, though Jake has been much better this year. Think Hayward is worth 600k, but if the Crows want him at 850k be my guest.

Actually scary someone is willing to offer a role player 850k per year for 6 years.
Not wrong. At least half his games per-year he is a non-factor struggling to get involved getting maybe 10 possessions and a goal if he is lucky. Matchday threads on the Swans board are an interesting read when Hayward is putting in one of those performances; I'll say that much.

There's been talk Swans players are taking less to keep a core group together, and I'd be happy if Hayward is one of them. But if he only wants up around the type of deal Adelaide are offering then I hope he takes it and best of luck to him. Not really worth that kinda money.

Not this years output but there is every chance that Hayward’s current form is the high watermark of his career imo

Not smart to be paying crazy money for what could be an outlier in terms of output.. At the end of the day he’s a dependable HFF.
Interesting to see the compo. AFL might need to increase the band one compo to $1M per year or we’ll see 5 first rounders handed out per year the way wages are escalating..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I'm always nervous paying blokes through the roof off contract years. Lets call it the Rory Lobb or Jake Stringer effect, though Jake has been much better this year. Think Hayward is worth 600k, but if the Crows want him at 850k be my guest.
Do you mean he is worth $600K now or after the CBA?

Not wrong. At least half his games per-year he is a non-factor struggling to get involved getting maybe 10 possessions and a goal if he is lucky. Matchday threads on the Swans board are an interesting read when Hayward is putting in one of those performances; I'll say that much.

There's been talk Swans players are taking less to keep a core group together, and I'd be happy if Hayward is one of them. But if he only wants up around the type of deal Adelaide are offering then I hope he takes it and best of luck to him. Not really worth that kinda money.
The Crows are one of the clubs with oodles of cap space so it makes sense to pay some overs to get free agents in to add some experienced quality to the side.

I suspect we will be trying to get in 2 free agents to top up the list after missing out last year

He isn’t worth the amount reported if that is true but if the Crows have ample space I’d imagine they will pay it especially to get a SA lad home. Their midfield is their main weakness so I think they will look to address that too somehow

Not smart to be paying crazy money for what could be an outlier in terms of output.. At the end of the day he’s a dependable HFF.
Interesting to see the compo. AFL might need to increase the band one compo to $1M per year or we’ll see 5 first rounders handed out per year the way wages are escalating..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

you assuming the AFL have an actual system to dish out these picks.

So we've got $850k x 6 on the table, more than Dawson and Rankine got, that's some deal for Hayward.

Carlton offer already in his managers waste bin.
And rightfully so, that's an insane amount

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it will be around $800K after the CBA which I find strange as why Sydney has only offered him $550-600K?

Hardly strange at all it’s what he’s worth take out his last month and what’s he worth? 600 to 650 is about right

But doesn't that means he is worth $450-500K now for him to be worth $600-650K after the CBA?

That's a pretty fair offer for what he's done, if we sign him on more than 600 even with the increase in CBA we will be negligent, end of the day Gulden will be offered a million plus everywhere, Chad will get offered a bucket from West Coast, we can't be overpaying a HFF.

6 x 850k for Hayward is just obscene overpay. Dunno what the crows are smoking. He isn't even in a key position.

500k is reportedly what the swans are offering which is probably bang on what he's worth.

If i am Hayward, I'm taking the crows deal and running.

Last edited:
That's a pretty fair offer for what he's done, if we sign him on more than 600 even with the increase in CBA we will be negligent, end of the day Gulden will be offered a million plus everywhere, Chad will get offered a bucket from West Coast, we can't be overpaying a HFF.
Quite simply a poaching club (may be the crows in this case) has to offer overs to secure a player or at least make them think. If the poaching club is only offering similar to the players existing club, then they have to rely on other factors such as go home factor, playing opportunities etc and Hayward has not mentioned go home factor and is not lacking for playing opportunity. Would an extra $200K per year be enough to sway him to leave to come back to SA??? I suppose we will find out sooner or later

Quite simply a poaching club (may be the crows in this case) has to offer overs to secure a player or at least make them think. If the poaching club is only offering similar to the players existing club, then they have to rely on other factors such as go home factor, playing opportunities etc and Hayward has not mentioned go home factor and is not lacking for playing opportunity. Would an extra $200K per year be enough to sway him to leave to come back to SA??? I suppose we will find out sooner or later

Yep the club trying to get the player always unless it’s a few clubs has to offer between 10-20% more than the offer to stay it’s pretty common. The club he’s with banks on loyalty within reason of course

Cant see his Mrs moving to SA. She's a big city lights type.

Sydney or Melb/Blues/Ess imo.
Wait a second, is his partner from Sydney?? That changes everything, he's staying. Not saying that players partners have a full say, it's 50/50. So add that to His business with a few swans players and it adds up well. But 2-300 a year must be hard to turn down

Wait a second, is his partner from Sydney?? That changes everything, he's staying. Not saying that players partners have a full say, it's 50/50. So add that to His business with a few swans players and it adds up well. But 2-300 a year must be hard to turn down
Nah she's from Melbourne, in an extremely snobbish suburb.

He wants to stay in Sydney.

His partner wants him in Melbourne.
Don't blame her, her family has a great set up down here with a lovely holiday house on the peninsula. Few of her old friends have been starting families of their own the last 6 months and from what I hear they might be thinking of doing the same. She may want to be around her support network before doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back