List Mgmt. Will the Hawks end up landing a big fish? Trade and FA news discussion of Hawthorn targets

Who should Hawks make a play for?

• Lynch

• McGovern

• Cogs

• We don't need any of these players

• Gaff

• Another player not mentioned above (specify in comments)

• B.Hill

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also apologies for de-railing the 'big fish' thread with talk of Jesse Longeran, there was another fringe player mentioned that the Hawks were looking at, but I can't recall who it was. I'll be sure to look for a small fish thread to post it in if I remember.

I'll start a 'Gold fish in a bowl' thread if that would help.;)

How do you know, or is this just a feeling of yours? Also the noise regarding Sloane and Lynch has been anything but quiet.
I don't know anything. I never have any "inside words".

But based on how we usually go about re-signings, this year seems to be a bit more barren than most.

It would be really nice to keep our top pick. I think we need an injection of youthful top end talent, that won’t cost much for the next 5 years.

Actually, according to all reports, we could get one of the elite mids of the twenties, instead of adding one who has already had their body bashed around for three or four years. I think #1 priority should be a key forward - Lynch. I m to have some faith that one of Worp, Cuz or even Nash could take major steps over the next two years. Also, if Howe continues to improve, and can dispel those occasional grubber kicks from his repertoire, he would be a massive asset.

We have the best intercept marker in the comp, and I am in favour of rewarding him, and extending his contract at a more realistic rate. I don't know details of his contract, but if I were Sis, I sure would be annoyed (and we all know what's he's like when one ruffles his feathers) when I read the $$$$$$ posters here want to spend on someone who would not be any better than he is.

Very happy that Sloane is staying. Excellent player, but his age and durability concerned me.

Gaff would be much better for us I believe, 18mths younger, more durable and especially if rule changes come in next year making the game more open.

West Coast owe us for Mitch and X-man, so trade for a pick in the 80s should seal the deal.

Actually, according to all reports, we could get one of the elite mids of the twenties, instead of adding one who has already had their body bashed around for three or four years. I think #1 priority should be a key forward - Lynch. I m to have some faith that one of Worp, Cuz or even Nash could take major steps over the next two years. Also, if Howe continues to improve, and can dispel those occasional grubber kicks from his repertoire, he would be a massive asset.

We have the best intercept marker in the comp, and I am in favour of rewarding him, and extending his contract at a more realistic rate. I don't know details of his contract, but if I were Sis, I sure would be annoyed (and we all know what's he's like when one ruffles his feathers) when I read the $$$$$$ posters here want to spend on someone who would not be any better than he is.

I reckon sis is the kind of guy who will play best when he has something to prove. I hope we give him a performance laden contract!

How do you know, or is this just a feeling of yours? Also the noise regarding Sloane and Lynch has been anything but quiet.
There’s been no noise at all from the club, just media speculation.

Who even knows if Sloane was a legit target.

True. But the word on here was that we offered a 4 year deal to Sloane, according to a reputable source anyway. Which would suggest he was a target.
It would. One of many though.

Sloane was a weird one, he is a champion competitive mid but at the same time he is 29 at the start of next year, we need to aim younger than that, everyone knows that 90% of players lose their impact in their early 30's and then theres the 10% like Burgoyne ect who can go on for a few more years, so getting Sloane and getting 2 quality years and 2-3 unknown quality years is probably not the best target for us...

him signing for Adelaide wasnt the worst thing in the world when you look at it like that...

If we don't land Lynch and from listening to commentary it seems Collingwood are happy to pay much more than us, it leaves us likely to go to the draf. If the draft is our avenue we have to make sure we manoeuvre our way to land one of the King boys, both of those lads are 200cm and elite athletes who can contribute pretty quickly.

Can’t remember if it was Max or Ben but one of them is out with an ACL sustained a couple of months back, that might see him slide a few spots, but essentially he is still a top 5 prospect, essentially we would need to trade our way into the top 5 bracket. Teams wont be too willing to shift down the order so we would be giving up a bit for a ticket into the top 5. The other KP lad is Lukocius from SA, but at this stage he will be lucky to make it past pick 2, absolute gun of a prospect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t remember if it was Max or Ben but one of them is out with an ACL sustained a couple of months back, that might see him slide a few spots, but essentially he is still a top 5 prospect, essentially we would need to trade our way into the top 5 bracket. Teams wont be too willing to shift down the order so we would be giving up a bit for a ticket into the top 5. The other KP lad is Lukocius from SA, but at this stage he will be lucky to make it past pick 2, absolute gun of a prospect

Lukocius is more Jack Gunston than Tom Lynch, saying not KP.
Awesome talent all the same.

I think Max is the one considered a wee-bit better but is the one that done his knee, I think many clubs will be eyeing these 2 lads off but they are deadset bookends that would be brilliant for our club. The difference with these 2 and previous top 10 selections (McCarting, Hogan, Wright etc) is these 2 are genuine 200cm guys with elite athletic ability, rarely do you get a combination of both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No surprised that rumours of Sloane being a target only when rumours of Cyril retiring started.

Was an opportunistic enquiry from us at best, which Sloane's management then used to get an extra year or two out of the Crows

Little fish but is be interested in Josh Thomas & Luke Dalhouse.

If we have the cap room to spare giving them above average wages such as 400k and 550k over 3.

I think they would fit in well, both have pace and can play HF/W/Mid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gee if there is any way in the world we can unite the McGovern boys we'd have to seriously look at it, we sure have the cash.

Why can't we do something like.....

J.McGovern - FA signing $950k
M. McGovern - Trade in $800k (who and what do we have? they would ask for Burton)

National draft - Big inside mid e.g.. Collier-Dawkins would be bloody ideal, tipped to go around the 8-15 marks so fits in where we will be and the kid is 194cm and almost 90kgs, an absolute beast.

Here's a list of the out of contract fish that fit the thread

Big Fish

Tom Lynch (RFA)
Andrew Gaff (RFA)
Jeremy McGovern (RFA)

Big-ish Fish

Paul Seedsman
Aaron Hall
Jarryd Lyons
Angus Brayshaw
Jared Polec
Jake Lloyd
Luke Dalhaus (UFA)

Medium Fish

Jamie Elliott
Daniel Menzel (UFA)
Kade Kolodjashnij
Bachar Houli (RFA)
Reece Conca (UFA)
Sam Lloyd
Jack Steele
Scott Lycett (RFA)
Matthew Suckling
Jordan Roughead (RFA)
Mitch Wallis (RFA)
Tom Liberatore (UFA)

Last edited:
Gee if there is any way in the world we can unite the McGovern boys we'd have to seriously look at it, we sure have the cash.

Why can't we do something like.....

J.McGovern - FA signing $950k
M. McGovern - Trade in $800k (who and what do we have? they would ask for Burton)

National draft - Big inside mid e.g.. Collier-Dawkins would be bloody ideal, tipped to go around the 8-15 marks so fits in where we will be and the kid is 194cm and almost 90kgs, an absolute beast.

No way Mitch gets paid 800k. Well he shouldn't, anyway.

Lukocius is more Jack Gunston than Tom Lynch, saying not KP.
Awesome talent all the same.

Little bit different to Gunner imo, already listed at 196cm and will likely grow another few cms once in the system, takes contested marks and also leads high up the ground, is already playing key forward at senior level in the SANFL I believe. He can play both ends as well. Will be exciting to see how it all translates when in the AFL. At this stage I can’t see him falling much further that 2nd or 3rd pick so it’s highly unlikely that we would benefit from his services. Unless of course he ends up on the Gold Coast and we manage to poach him after his rookie deal ends

Little fish but is be interested in Josh Thomas & Luke Dalhouse.

If we have the cap room to spare giving them above average wages such as 400k and 550k over 3.

I think they would fit in well, both have pace and can play HF/W/Mid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dalhaus I like because we need an extra reliable centre square rotation along with the main group of Mitchell/O'Meara/Howe/Shiels. We're also looking thin for small/half forwards now, especially as Puopolo gets older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back