Will the Swans improve in 2019 and if so, how?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol re the above. I think there will be improvements in selection and from the further development of younger players.

The trades of Rohan and Hanners remove the problem of selecting players on history or perceived potential.

I really hope selectors have learnt their lesson. If yes KJ will play Ressies unless his form warrants selection. The same should apply across the list. No doubt Reg, Macca and Smith are near the edge of the cliff. Again, I'd play them based on form. I back all three to be close to the mark.

We can improve but its a big IF. If our senior players like kennedy snd franklin stay fit and in form, heeney,jones and mills go to the next level and further improvement from mccartin , ronke,haywood and florent can increase on their performance. We have the ability to make the top 6

Which of these players will be better worse of stay the same in 2019 in peoples view

Kennedy
Jack
Grundy
Smith
Rampe
Franklin
Mcveigh
Reid
I posted earlier in the thread about which players had room for improvement. From your list though, Reid being on the park is a massive improvement from McCartin and I think Rampe can definitely be better. The others will either have the same output as 2018 or will taper off. We're heavily relying on our younger brigade to all step it up.

Which of these players will be better worse of stay the same in 2019 in peoples view

Kennedy. Worse
Jack. Worse
Grundy worse
Smith same
Rampe worse
Franklin same
Mcveigh worse
Reid. Will play half the games at best and be the same he always was

Mine above fwiw

Kennedy
Jack
Grundy
Smith
Rampe
Franklin
Mcveigh
Reid

I think they all stay relatively the same except for Smith who I think will decline and Kennedy who I think could show us he just had a down year and nothing more.

Kennedy
Jack
Grundy
Smith
Rampe
Franklin
Mcveigh
Reid

Kennedy will be better methinks. He's a brute and probably won't cop his worst season since, what, 2011? He'll bounce back, but his general trajectory won't get better from here.

The rest all down-hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope . We can't kick , our gameplan is out dated , we lack depth and we rely on too few to get the job done. The only reason we made finals last year was because our back 6 kept us in games we had no right to be in

Last edited:
I suspect the biggest problem is weak bottom six, primarily because of lack of experience. We're also a bit top-heavy in terms of age, and some of those senior players have declined.

Compare the experience profile of the Swans EF team with the Collingwood & West Coast GF teams (not scientific but indicative):
Sydney: 7 players with >200 games, 4 players >100, 6 players <60
West Coast: 3>200; 9>100; 3<60
Collingwood: 4>200; 8>100; 3<60

So we're a bit unbalanced at both ends of the age spectrum and lacking those core mid-career players.

The problem with younger players is inconsistency. That's why we had the second best record against top 8 teams (7-2) and also flamed out for most of a month and in the EF. So the best is pretty good - we just don't sustain it.

With Blakey presumably coming in we have good crop of young players; the hard task is to gradually offload the senior guys. Good to move Hannebery on. McVeigh is in good form - he had disposal efficiency of 81% for the year, so he'll go around next year. Jack and Grundy probably in their final season next year, Smith a bit longer, Kennedy and Buddy some way from the finish line.

They'd probably complain that the fire was too big, or small. Or that it should have been done on a Tuesday instead of Thursday. Or that Clarko would have done a better job at burning it down.
Best of all, in 2 weeks time they will complain about the place getting burned to the ground.

I suspect the biggest problem is weak bottom six, primarily because of lack of experience. We're also a bit top-heavy in terms of age, and some of those senior players have declined.

Compare the experience profile of the Swans EF team with the Collingwood & West Coast GF teams (not scientific but indicative):
Sydney: 7 players with >200 games, 4 players >100, 6 players <60
West Coast: 3>200; 9>100; 3<60
Collingwood: 4>200; 8>100; 3<60

So we're a bit unbalanced at both ends of the age spectrum and lacking those core mid-career players.

The problem with younger players is inconsistency. That's why we had the second best record against top 8 teams (7-2) and also flamed out for most of a month and in the EF. So the best is pretty good - we just don't sustain it.

With Blakey presumably coming in we have good crop of young players; the hard task is to gradually offload the senior guys. Good to move Hannebery on. McVeigh is in good form - he had disposal efficiency of 81% for the year, so he'll go around next year. Jack and Grundy probably in their final season next year, Smith a bit longer, Kennedy and Buddy some way from the finish line.

Hopefully by the end of next year none of those senior guys you mentioned will be in the best 22 (besides Kennedy and Buddy). Ideally we'd want Melican to be back in the 22 and pushing Grundy out. We'd want O'Riordan or Ling to push for senior selection and push Smith out. We'd want Mills to show his midfield credentials and push Jack out. We'd want Stoddart or Ling proving themselves at senior level to push McVeigh out. We'd want Hewett, Heeney or Dawson to step up and take the mantle of designated midfield bull to alleviate the pressure off Kennedy. We'd want McCartin, or even Blakey or Amartey to be banging the door down and putting pressure on the unreliable Reid's spot as CHF.

Might cost us some wins here and there next year as that progression happens but we will be better for it in the long run.

Nope. We still lack pace in our mid (don't believe Mills will fix it), and our game plan needs a massive change. Until I see that, there's no reason to believe we can play finals next season.

Nope. We still lack pace in our mid (don't believe Mills will fix it), and our game plan needs a massive change. Until I see that, there's no reason to believe we can play finals next season.

ummm
That slow midfield/shitty game plan has played finals every year for the last 100 years.

ummm
That slow midfield/shitty game plan has played finals every year for the last 100 years.
I think we may have just missed finals in 1938 but I'll need to check the research room

Nope. We still lack pace in our mid (don't believe Mills will fix it), and our game plan needs a massive change. Until I see that, there's no reason to believe we can play finals nex
ummm
And we got belted in probably our most embarrassing performance since the 2014 granny. Hard to say we are in the up isn't it? And if we aren't on the up? The only other place is down. Which is missing finals.

Nope. We still lack pace in our mid (don't believe Mills will fix it), and our game plan needs a massive change. Until I see that, there's no reason to believe we can play finals nex

And we got belted in probably our most embarrassing performance since the 2014 granny. Hard to say we are in the up isn't it? And if we aren't on the up? The only other place is down. Which is missing finals.

It's all relative.
We could go backwards 100 miles but if every other team goes backwards 200 miles then we will be the leader of the pack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back