Preview Wooden spoon

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen about 4 of your games. vs hawks, us, gold coast and i can't remember the other one. I'm also going off how the opponents have played. The dogs are an absolute shambles. They have no backline, Lake either won't be playing or will still be sh*t by the time you play them. Tippet will kick 5 on their defense.
I suppose WC is a bit hopeful, but they don't travel well. Saints are garbage and Dawson can't defend to save himself, all they can do is bottle it up, once Rutten monsters N. Roo they won't score.

Port are tripe and you played terribly against them, i can't imagine you doing it again.
Bris are a terrible side, that might be a close one though because its in Bris.
And GC enough said.

I've always had a soft spot for the crows so maybe a touch hopeful but i don't think your as bad as you've been playing, maybe it is a Craig issue. Who knows.

Best of luck for future rounds

I've seen about 4 of your games. vs hawks, us, gold coast and i can't remember the other one. I'm also going off how the opponents have played. The dogs are an absolute shambles. They have no backline, Lake either won't be playing or will still be sh*t by the time you play them. Tippet will kick 5 on their defense.
I suppose WC is a bit hopeful, but they don't travel well. Saints are garbage and Dawson can't defend to save himself, all they can do is bottle it up, once Rutten monsters N. Roo they won't score.

Port are tripe and you played terribly against them, i can't imagine you doing it again.
Bris are a terrible side, that might be a close one though because its in Bris.
And GC enough said.

I've always had a soft spot for the crows so maybe a touch hopeful but i don't think your as bad as you've been playing, maybe it is a Craig issue. Who knows.

Best of luck for future rounds

Bullies can stack their forward half mate.. won't need a backline.

Our contested ball and stoppage work is the worst in the comp by a long way.

Boyd/Cross etc will run AMOK and Tippo will be lucky to see it 5 times.

Re: Wooden spon

Yeah, makes it hard to say, yeah we're bad, but we're not brisbane/port bad. :eek:

Both of these sides spanked us by the tune of 7-8 goals each. Not sure how you can argue that we are faring better than they currently are.

i agree with Vader the Gold Coast game at Cararra, the game at the GABBA and the return Showdown will determine our fate as far as the spoon goes. We're definitely bottom four (along with Gold Coast, Port and Brisbane), but where we finish amongst that group will all come down to how many of those three games we win or lose.

After looking at the run home (which looks terrible) I think we'll sruggle to win more than 2 of our remaining games. Fortunately I think it will be enough (JUST) to keep us away from the spoon.

Re: Wooden spon

Can't see us getting it, we'll be hovering a few spots or so above that dreaded 17th. I can imagine we'll somehow manage to snatch a few more wins here and there. Talking about this is utterly depressing.

Here's a thought..

We can afford to win 1 more game for the year if we wish to earn ourselves a PP. Repeat that stunt (4 wins or less) in 2012 - as seems likely - and we find ourselves with a #1 draft pick for the first time in the club's history. Not even GWS could take it away from us.

I feel sick. On the one hand, I love the idea of getting a really talented player on our list - the first real "GUN" we'll have recruited in well over a decade (apologies to Tippett & Dangermouse). On the other, I feel dirty at suggesting that we could/should play so poorly as to qualify for a PP two years running.

What's really sickening is that it's actually a realistic proposition.

Here's a thought..

We can afford to win 1 more game for the year if we wish to earn ourselves a PP. Repeat that stunt (4 wins or less) in 2012 - as seems likely - and we find ourselves with a #1 draft pick for the first time in the club's history. Not even GWS could take it away from us.

I feel sick. On the one hand, I love the idea of getting a really talented player on our list - the first real "GUN" we'll have recruited in well over a decade (apologies to Tippett & Dangermouse). On the other, I feel dirty at suggesting that we could/should play so poorly as to qualify for a PP two years running.

What's really sickening is that it's actually a realistic proposition.
As dirty as you feel, we're all thinking the same thing.

Would allow us to rebuid through the draft like a certain reigning premier as well. Four wins or less would see us with a a top 10 and two early 20's in 2011 and doing it again would mean #1, plus another top 5 and another early second....just sayin' :D

I don't think we've horrible enough to pull that off though. Then imagine a FS influx the year after....oh to dream aye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect we will rise to the occasion and beat Geelong. Twice.

Bye bye spoon.

As others have said, we are such a shambles at the moment we won't even be able to figure out how to tank.

Seriously though, I'm expecting us to get our poop in a pile just in time to win 4 or 5 of the last 6. And we'll all be pumped up for a tilt in 2012, only to be disappointed yet again.

Shame we didn't continue on with the 1-7 record we had going last year, and ended up getting some cheap wins once the horse had bolted. We'd have a massive incentive to tank the rest of this season (if we actually needed to try to to lose) - in the no.1 overall selection this year, along with no.5 if we ended up with the spoon.

So vader if we just pick the team we think will be playing finals in Few years time.... And end up with a pp would you be happy?

Probably means no dogga, reilly etc and more riley, gunston etc.

So vader if we just pick the team we think will be playing finals in Few years time.... And end up with a pp would you be happy?

Probably means no dogga, reilly etc and more riley, gunston etc.
I can see us getting a PP this year (and next) without even resorting to tanking. That's how bad I think our list is at present.

Doughty will retire at the end of this year, along with Stevens. Given that we only have 12 games left - and his replacement at present would be Schmidt - I don't see any point in dropping him.

I don't think Reilly has been anywhere near as bad this year as people have made him out to be. I think people have been placing unrealistic expectations on him, given that he's a senior player and our previous senior players have all been superstars. Reilly's not a superstar and never will be, so people feel disappointed with him as a result. He is what he is and most weeks he's done the job which was asked of him by the coach.

Like Doughty, there's no point in dropping him this year because there's nobody to replace him with. Reilly's not going to be delisted this year, because it's a weak & compromised draft and we already have an abundance of dead wood which needs to be cleared.

Reilly is only 27 (November birthday). There's a very good chance that he'll still be on our list by the time we're contending again in 3-4 years time. More to the point, with Doughty, Stevens & Symes all departing at the end of 2011 I think we'll need the experience and hard body that he offers to support the kids through 2012.

Am I happy about the prospect of winning so few games that we qualify for a PP two years running? No, I'm not. I am, however, resigned to the fact that it's the only way our team is going to rise up the ladder and become a premiership contender once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back