Oppo Camp Death Riding: North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroo Spooners

Where will North Melbourne end up at the end of 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We lack depth and talent.

Pick 20 should be able to provide us with a player that provides either both or 1 of them.

Hately was proving good depth in the guts prior to becoming a failed speedy wingman. Then there's Berry and Schoey that are presently out of the 22. Then Taylor and those 2 late picks from last year. In the current 22 we've got Soligo, Laird, Rachele, Murphy, Ned and Jones who are all capable of forming part of a good enough midfield group. We don't need any more C to B graders, we need another Dawson or 2. Rankine could be elite in there, but I think he'll be limited to impact minutes, not able to deliver at peak for full midfielder minutes.

What we should be trying to do with picks around that mark is package them up to get closer to the pointy end. We don't need more pick 20s, we're desperate for an elite mid or 2.

With Walsh likely to swallow our first next year (if he keeps tracking as is) I’d be keen to package our first this year, next year and that 2nd to get as high as we can.

Agreed, pick 20 should be combined with out first round pick to move up the draft. We already have "most" of a good young side in place already. We don't need to add heaps of middle-draft players to our list. What we need is a few extra pieces of top-level talent.
We already have Dowling, Bond, Taylor, Nankervis, Schoenberg, Berry, Cook, Parnell, Gollant, Hamill unable to get a game and probably only 1 or 2 are likely to see best 22 football in the next 12 months.

Add a couple of experienced players and that becomes even less likely (Redman, Williams).
Then there's 2023 first (9-13), North second (20), Gold Coast second (27), 2024 first, Tyler Welsh, 2024 free agent?

Depth of talent isn't our issue.

What does our 1st, NM 2nd, GC 2nd and 2024 1st net is I wonder.

I do think our strategy involves trading some of that but if a target opportunity doesn’t present then trading up becomes an option.

That could be around 10, 21, 25 and F1 to package.

Hately was proving good depth in the guts prior to becoming a failed speedy wingman. Then there's Berry and Schoey that are presently out of the 22. Then Taylor and those 2 late picks from last year. In the current 22 we've got Soligo, Laird, Rachele, Murphy, Ned and Jones who are all capable of forming part of a good enough midfield group. We don't need any more C to B graders, we need another Dawson or 2. Rankine could be elite in there, but I think he'll be limited to impact minutes, not able to deliver at peak for full midfielder minutes.

What we should be trying to do with picks around that mark is package them up to get closer to the pointy end. We don't need more pick 20s, we're desperate for an elite mid or 2.
I agree that we should consider packaging/trading picks for higher higher.

But pick 20 should still see you get an opportunity to snag a talent >than b grader, admittedly our ability to draft midfielders is pretty questionable, so trading out might be a better option.

What does our 1st, NM 2nd, GC 2nd and 2024 1st net is I wonder.

I do think our strategy involves trading some of that but if a target opportunity doesn’t present then trading up becomes an option.

That could be around 10, 21, 25 and F1 to package.

It’s not enough for West Coast but geez Harley Reid is the exact type of Elite mid we need.

We already have Dowling, Bond, Taylor, Nankervis, Schoenberg, Berry, Cook, Parnell, Gollant, Hamill unable to get a game and probably only 1 or 2 are likely to see best 22 football in the next 12 months.

Depth of talent isn't our issue.
Berry and Shoey are the only ones who've played midfield in the AFL.

I'm not questioning the other guys as we haven't seen them. But given our midfield mix I lm not confident in saying that or midfield has either elite talent (at this stage, outside Laird) or depth of talent.

Edit - do we think Hatley is going to make it?

It’s not enough for West Coast but geez Harley Reid is the exact type of Elite mid we need.
GWS seem box seat for that if a trade eventuates with 5 and 6 to start negotiations (and F1 likely in the mix)

Maybe we could get 5 or 6 from WC once they do that deal. Say this year 1st and next year 1st for 5?

Or like many have said GC need points this year and us next year so I’m sure we will be talking with them about getting their 1st pick for a package that gives added points to them this year and maybe us some extras next year. There’s several scenarios to work on for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS seem box seat for that if a trade eventuates with 5 and 6 to start negotiations (and F1 likely in the mix)

Maybe we could get 5 or 6 from WC once they do that deal. Say this year 1st and next year 1st for 5?

Or like many have said GC need points this year and us next year so I’m sure we will be talking with them about getting their 1st pick for a package that gives added points to them this year and maybe us some extras next year. There’s several scenarios to work on for that
Out of interest what midfielder do you think is worthy of pick 5 outside of Harley Reid in this draft, from where I sit Colby McKercher currently is the only other mid in that discussion and I think he's every chance to go earlier.

On paper this is not a great draft for midfielders that look really out of the ordinary IMO.

Out of interest what midfielder do you think is worthy of pick 5 outside of Harley Reid in this draft, from where I sit Colby McKercher currently is the only other mid in that discussion and I think he's every chance to go earlier.

On paper this is not a great draft for midfielders that look really out of the ordinary IMO.

Where do you think Sanders, Hall and Stevens sit? One may fall to our pick and seem to be the best options from what I have watched of the champs (3 games)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Berry and Shoey are the only ones who've played midfield in the AFL.

I'm not questioning the other guys as we haven't seen them. But given our midfield mix I lm not confident in saying that or midfield has either elite talent (at this stage, outside Laird) or depth of talent.

Edit - do we think Hatley is going to make it?

Laird's not even a genuine a-grader, let alone elite. Dawson is closest to elite from our group and it's only time doing it that is the question. Hately won't make it now, had he continued his form as an inside mid then maybe, but we put paid to that. He is decent enough depth though, the only question is if anyone wants any.

Where do you think Sanders, Hall and Stevens sit? One may fall to our pick and seem to be the best options from what I have watched of the champs (3 games)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sanders possibly top 10, Hall later in the 1st round, Stevens I think gets drafted as a big bodied medium defender probably in the 2nd round somewhere.

None of whom I'd trade up to get pick 5 for.

Laird's not even a genuine a-grader, let alone elite. Dawson is closest to elite from our group and it's only time doing it that is the question. Hately won't make it now, had he continued his form as an inside mid then maybe, but we put paid to that. He is decent enough depth though, the only question is if anyone wants any.
I realise people like to question Laird because it's fashionable, but the guy sits in the top 10 for most midfield ratings, he's clearly either our best or closely behind Dawson. He is at worst a A grade mid.

I’ve got no idea. Just throwing out options for if we did want to move up

From all I’ve heard it does sound more likely that 5-10 range is probably even and maybe a case of you get the player you want as teams have different preferences.

I have no doubt we’d rather bundle /use some of those picks for a player we identify as a need and a more ready to impact age (eg day, wanganeen-Milera we were clearly prepared to trade for and Redman we prob know me may need to)

Could we even trade out if this year so we are stockpiled for a similar thing next year if we haven’t locked down a target this year (eg philipou). I think that’s a real possibility

Would you see it as aggressive or defensive if we were to use this draft for rookie upgrades and we got redman and Williams via FA and traded out of the draft otherwise

Eg
2 2nd rounders swap for GC future 1st (they need points this year)
1st rounder swap with GWS for F1 (who use that with 5+6 to give to WC as the primary basic in trade for pick 1)

We add no kids this year but have GC, GWS and our own 1st (and likely 2nd rounder) next year.

Huge collateral to use for a trade target, move ahead of a welsh bid or whatever we desired

I’ve got no idea. Just throwing out options for if we did want to move up

From all I’ve heard it does sound more likely that 5-10 range is probably even and maybe a case of you get the player you want as teams have different preferences.

I have no doubt we’d rather bundle /use some of those picks for a player we identify as a need and a more ready to impact age (eg day, wanganeen-Milera we were clearly prepared to trade for and Redman we prob know me may need to)

Could we even trade out if this year so we are stockpiled for a similar thing next year if we haven’t locked down a target this year (eg philipou). I think that’s a real possibility
What's the point if it's not a prospective top line midfield prospect?

We need a top end mid be it a draftee or a proven quality AFL mid.

No point trading up unless you are sure the player you're targeting is certain to be available.

I just doubt at this point in this draft there will be a race to get into the top end for a midfielder unless it's Reid or McKercher unless I'm under estimating the midfielder pool.

I realise people like to question Laird because it's fashionable, but the guy sits in the top 10 for most midfield ratings, he's clearly either our best or closely behind Dawson. He is at worst a A grade mid.

impact counts, Laird provides little of it. He's an accumulator with very minimal hurt factor, if he's a-grade, it's by the skin of his teeth.

Back