Preview Changes: R16 vs North Melbourne, Saturday July 1, 1.15pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

How many UNFORCED changes will we make?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats the problem. He has had 5 chances for full games and he fails every time. How many chances does he need. Stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The North game was the best chance to bring in and blood someone fresh. Not repeat the same mistakes. We are 7 and 7. Thats not golden ticket club type standards.
He has quite literally had 2 games this year not as sub. Was in the coaches votes v Freo and had 15 touches and a goal v Brisbane.

I don’t believe in “good as sub” as a concept. I think your performance as sub just reflects how good you otherwise are at football.

After the showdown I remember thinking that Chayce Jones was really good as sub, but it just turns out he’s improved heaps at footy.

All evidence so far this year points to the same progression in Ned, without the opportunity to play full games (possibly due to being pigeon holed as a “good sub”).

And I’ve never rated Ned.

I think we also learnt that Soligo can be impactful in the contest when he is played there, moreso than Ben Keays, but if we stick him on the outside he's not effective there and ends up wasted
Agree Soligo is wasted outside

He’s very natural in and around traffic

But main thing I got from watching that live is our young guys are just a little too young to compete all day at that level in mid and Obvs Keays / sloane aren’t Pendles and Adam’s etc …. Even so it’s not as if our midfield got flogged , it was pretty close to evens on day thanks to Dawson / Laird

We need an experienced reinforcement from somewhere if we want to challenge next year and obviously continued development of our youth which I’m confident in (but might take 2-3 years to get closer to their peaks )

Sloane Murphy Sholl should've been dropped.

A real indictment on our coaches that we aren't getting games into players to see if they will/can make it.

Sloane and Murphy are at/past their ceiling.

Safe conservative selections have been an AFC hallmark for the last 20 years.

When you lose by 2 points, it’s fair to say that the experience/continuity imperative has cost us 4 points.

He has quite literally had 2 games this year not as sub. Was in the coaches votes v Freo and had 15 touches and a goal v Brisbane.

I don’t believe in “good as sub” as a concept. I think your performance as sub just reflects how good you otherwise are at football.

After the showdown I remember thinking that Chayce Jones was really good as sub, but it just turns out he’s improved heaps at footy.

All evidence so far this year points to the same progression in Ned, without the opportunity to play full games (possibly due to being pigeon holed as a “good sub”).

And I’ve never rated Ned.
He's a great sub to have. Comes on and goes unnoticed by the opposition until suddenly he's racked up 16 disposals in a quarter, has snuck in a goal because he's slipped into the hole in the forward line, unmanned, incognito, and has become an alternative and often-used link man through the corridor and he mostly finds someone close but nicely by foot. He's a good secret surprise weapon to have in the arsenal.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? asked the question a short while back if anyone else was warming to Ned. My initial response was no, but that's changing pretty quickly.

He deserves a shot and I hope he can play the same style of game for four qtrs. It won't be from lack of effort if he can't.

Last edited:
My desire for Ned to succeed is purely motivated by my desire to see a quality player in the jumper vacated by Ben Rutten.

Agree Soligo is wasted outside

He’s very natural in and around traffic

But main thing I got from watching that live is our young guys are just a little too young to compete all day at that level in mid and Obvs Keays / sloane aren’t Pendles and Adam’s etc …. Even so it’s not as if our midfield got flogged , it was pretty close to evens on day thanks to Dawson / Laird

We need an experienced reinforcement from somewhere if we want to challenge next year and obviously continued development of our youth which I’m confident in (but might take 2-3 years to get closer to their peaks )
Our midfield doesnt get flogged..

I actually believe we won the CB clearances in that Pies game.. and the Pies midfield is elite.

We win plenty of the ball in the centre. No problems there.

But its what we do with that ball when we have laird, keays and sloane in there thats the problem..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 games out of 15? If he’s that soft, find somewhere else to play.
He’s been out injured with a quad for 10 of those 15..

Suspended for 3

And has now played the last 2 sanfl games. Where he’s shown he’s miles above sanfl standard.

They shouldve bought him in to replace either murphy or keays this week..

Not sure how you can call mcadam “soft” Froggy..

The lad goes in bloody hard. Seems to love bring the pain onto opposition players..

He’s been out injured with a quad for 10 of those 15..

Suspended for 3

And has now played the last 2 sanfl games. Where he’s shown he’s miles above sanfl standard.

They shouldve bought him in to replace either murphy or keays this week..

Not sure how you can call mcadam “soft” Froggy..

The lad goes in bloody hard. Seems to love bring the pain onto opposition players..
I’m commenting on people saying it’s Michael Christians fault for wrecking his season.
When clearly it’s not.

Also he’s not soft on field but he’s either made of tissue paper or has a very low pain threshold.
Always comes up holding something or limping off.

Last edited:
As we’re not big players in the offseason we should be leaving no stone unturned to find out more about what is on the list.

We must be tracking for a record for the least team changes in a year. Especially for a club fighting to make the 8. You’d think we were 14-0.

This is how you end up with players like Atkins and Jake Kelly playing in a grand final team.

And Mackay and facing to play calf injured greenwood and injured Talia among two other tall defenders against a lone tigers tall forward.

Last edited:
Well that's is some very uninspiring changes.
Have we ticked the Neil Craig 'continuity' box yet? Far out.

We are playing North. Perfect time to blood someone/rest someone.

Doeedee is gone for the season. Let's say Murray picks up an injury. Do we play with one tall defender + Worrell? Do we have any other options? Hard to know if we don't give them a go. We should be trialling Nankervis in a game like this. That way if we pick up a Milera or Smith injury we have options that aren't just 'throw Chayce back'. We need to leave him on the wing.

What of Sloane? Are we going to keep running him in the midfield even though he's clearly a liability? Is it time to try McAdam or are we done? Can we improve the forward set up?

Basically we have decided on a set 23 and no matter the results, it stays.

Bulldogs - loss. Back them in.
WC. Win - see it worked.
Coll. Loss - back them in.
NM. Win - see it worked.

Such a narrow view.

We aren't winning the flag. We should not be fully settled yet and should still be trying to see if we can improve the side.

I actually believe we won the CB clearances in that Pies game.. and the Pies midfield is elite.

But its what we do with that ball when we have laird, keays and sloane in there thats the problem..
Our mids had a great game at the Collingwood home game until that 0-12 run of clearances in the last quarter

What do we judge them on? The three quarters of outstanding stuff? Or the one quarter of poor stuff?

Sloane rarely is the final touch out of the middle but generally does OK on the rare occasion he is, Laird has improved but still skies it but Keays is a scatter gun chaos ball. I feel much better when Dawson gets it or they hit a running Milera or Jones with the handball. I Bet Tex an Co feel the same.

Back