Preview Changes: R4 vs Fremantle, Saturday April 8, 1.15pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait wait wait, so Ned coming in and having a great game is bad?

Bizarre take

If Ned comes in and makes selection a headache next week, brilliant. Thats what we need if we're going to be a good team.

Omitting Rachelle from the forward group is weird, given he's not playing full time mid.

Rest of your reply is irrelevant given availability. No body is arguing its our ideal or best 22 out there. You've basically just argued that our best 22 is better than not our best 22. Well done, very insightful.
You are failing to see the big picture..

ned has played 49 games.. about 35 of those have been complete and utter garbage.

if he lucks out and doesn’t have one of his garbage games this week it’s gonna mean he probably won’t get dropped for next week.. which also means, going by the law of averages, that he’ll more than likely have a garbage game that next week.

I think what most people are saying is that, even if he does have an alright game this week, he shouldn’t have even been considered for it in the first place.

we’ve all seen enough of his garbage to know it far outweighs his good.

it was the perfect time to give another lad a go. But no.. the club once again went back to its already proven failures because of some strange obsession with “defensive first” small forwards.

we’ve just witnessed a laughable two to three horrid years of
”defensive first small forwards” s**t from Rowe, McHenry and Murphy that barely kicked goals.. we replaced it with Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar and now have an incredibly dangerous forward line..

and some people want to go back to that s**t?.. really?

Well, Ned and Murphy squeezed back in by round 4.

Not thrilled by that conceptually. But also not super surprised given the 3 outs in the forward line, and probably a less then 100% Tex.

Good news is Pedlar Fog and McAdam should all be immediate selections next week.

I’m in two minds re Ned and Murphy. Need to play them in their best roles to see if they’re any better than fringe. Both of them I’ve liked when playing around the contest and Murphy I’m convinced would be an excellent small defender. But it was also a good opportunity to see whether Tariek transitions, noting that CC hardly consistently set the SANFL alight. But with Tex clearly playing under duress and Fog out, I can kind of understand why we’ve gone with the 50 gamers ahead of a debutant.

Having McHenry come in now is actually how he should be used. Cover for better players when they're not able to play. Pure depth.

The problem is if he stays in when those better players become available again - and sadly, the club has form on this. Bringing in a player who is there ostensibly as depth and then deciding to persist with them all year long. If that happens (and it certainly wouldn't surprise me) then outrage is absolutely fair.

As for those worrying that McHenry might play a blinder, that's fine. If he plays a blinder, you still bring the good players back, you just omit the next most expendable player who didn't play a blinder. We've got plenty of them in the side right now, after all. If he continues to play blinders, then he actually deserves to be in the side. If not, drop him then.

And if everybody plays a blinder? Then drop him anyway - clearly there was no heat in the game, and the likes of Pedlar etc have earned an immediate recall.

Who plays well shouldn't matter

How many better preseasons or trial games do we need to see Himmelberg have over Thilthorpe before we realise the only thing that actually matters is how good you are?

Good players will play more good games than bad players, so pick the good one. Even if Mr Bad flukes a few touches this week

Mchenry in for Pedlar makes us weaker. His ceiling is about 1 goal, a handful of disposals, and a few ineffective tackes.

We saw what Pedlar could do last week.

Get ready for Mchenry fans to get all excited about a 10 disposal game, though. 'I just love his energy'.. after he gives away a free kick.

No one truly hopes he has a bad game. We just want the coaches not to lower their standards when assessing his game because the bar is so low for him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mchenry in for Pedlar makes us weaker. His ceiling is about 1 goal, a handful of disposals, and a few ineffective tackes.

We saw what Pedlar could do last week.

Get ready for Mchenry fans to get all excited about a 10 disposal game, though. 'I just love his energy'.. after he gives away a free kick.

No one truly hopes he has a bad game. We just want the coaches not to lower their standards when assessing his game because the bar is so low for him.

Is there anyone on this board who thinks McHenry should be picked before Pedlar?

Confident Pedlar will be back in next week.

Who plays well shouldn't matter

How many better preseasons or trial games do we need to see Himmelberg have over Thilthorpe before we realise the only thing that actually matters is how good you are?

Good players will play more good games than bad players, so pick the good one. Even if Mr Bad flukes a few touches this week

For Himmelberg vs Thilthorpe I agree with you. That's a niche position, two guys battling for exactly one spot. Pick your star and back him in. Himmelberg can wait for Thilthorpe to be injured/suspended for his shot, and then he'd want to play out of his skin because otherwise he'll be giving it straight back.

For a role like McHenry's though, I think form should be given some consideration. It's still not impossible that McHenry actually puts it all together and turns into a good player. But the point is, it's not McHenry or Pedlar. They're not battling for one spot. There are plenty of similar marginal players in our side that can be moved out and the deck chairs shuffled around. Any one of Smith, Milera, Jones, Sloane, Sholl, Murphy or Keays could easily be moved out instead and it would have a negligible impact on the structure of the team. Just shuffle those who are left accordingly.

If McHenry plays so well that it warrants another match, pick whichever one of them played the worst and drop them. If he plays roughly as well as everyone else, then trust the reasons why he was depth in the first place and drop him.

It's pretty clear that Mchenry and Murphy are first out when we have players return, but we do have form making bad selection decisions.

Frankly, there's a couple I'd be taking out before Murphy. Milera would be my first choice, and I still don't have any real faith in Sholl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankly, there's a couple I'd be taking out before Murphy. Milera would be my first choice, and I still don't have any real faith in Sholl.
Sholl took a strong overhead mark in defense (I've never seen this in his game before) and had career equal 4 tackles in the last 2 weeks, he definitely has improve his toughness around the contest which he knew he had to do.

Sholl has looked good so far this year... but we need to manage him when he is struggling.

Smith & Milera are the ones I don't have faith in.

For Himmelberg vs Thilthorpe I agree with you. That's a niche position, two guys battling for exactly one spot. Pick your star and back him in. Himmelberg can wait for Thilthorpe to be injured/suspended for his shot, and then he'd want to play out of his skin because otherwise he'll be giving it straight back.

For a role like McHenry's though, I think form should be given some consideration. It's still not impossible that McHenry actually puts it all together and turns into a good player. But the point is, it's not McHenry or Pedlar. They're not battling for one spot. There are plenty of similar marginal players in our side that can be moved out and the deck chairs shuffled around. Any one of Smith, Milera, Jones, Sloane, Sholl, Murphy or Keays could easily be moved out instead and it would have a negligible impact on the structure of the team. Just shuffle those who are left accordingly.

If McHenry plays so well that it warrants another match, pick whichever one of them played the worst and drop them. If he plays roughly as well as everyone else, then trust the reasons why he was depth in the first place and drop him.
Well said.

I watched the preseason trials & SANFL last week, McHenry was genuinely very good in all of it so if you aren't going to reward that I'm not sure when you are going to be. It's certainly possible he'll be one of those players whose simply too good for SANFL but not good enough for AFL though at 49 games & our team playing with more attacking flare this year I don't think it's completely out of possibility that he will look better or find a way to offer something on the level. The one thing McHenry has always done well is that final kick inside the 50, generally hits someone which is important so that's what we'll be wanting to see some of.

All that said I'd have preferred get Newchurch for a game just to get a look at what he can do as he was also quite impressive & well we know he's going hit the score board more likely.

For those who wanted Schoenberg back his game was very good in the SANFL but there was one thing that still really worried me and that's how many fumbles or double takes. Yep he got away with it easily in that league but it could have been punished at AFL standard. Loved his work rate and effort but really want to see him become clean & one touch only as we've seen what fumbles do in the AFL with faster ball movement these days.

It's exactly the same

We've had years of McHenry, we know what he is and what he can do.

A good week that is out of step with the rest of his career should have no bearing on our decision making.

Sholl has looked good so far this year... but we need to manage him when he is struggling.

Smith & Milera are the ones I don't have faith in.
Sholl has looked better I think, I've been critical of him at times in the past but he's another player who was doing too much at SANFL to not deserve another look. I don't think he's anywhere near having cemented his place at this point but has mostly been ok.

Seems like an odd week to be upset about pretty basic selections. Not like we dropped Pedlar or McAdam, depth players have replaced our injured/suspended players which is what they're there for. Just wait until next week, if McAdam/Pedlar play sanfl then get pissed.

It's exactly the same

We've had years of McHenry, we know what he is and what he can do.

A good week that is out of step with the rest of his career should have no bearing on our decision making.

If it's "just" a good week, sure, I agree. Depth in, depth out.

People have floated the hypothetical of what if he plays a blinder, kicks 4 goals, etc. That's not just a good week, and I don't think it would be reasonable to drop him in that scenario. But that doesn't mean Pedlar stays out.

Looks like Harry is the sub. Everyone else who was emergency is named for the Snaf team.
Get Schoenberg in early for McHenry. They may have to play Rachele more in the forward line if we are having trouble scoring so getting another mid in would be the way to go. Surely the better option by Nick's would be to play McHenry as the sub if he can't resist playing him.

The issue with your list of players that can be shuffled out is that half of them aren’t subject to performance based selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back