Preview Changes: R5 vs Carlton, Thursday April 13, 7.10pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Which of these players come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Make yourself a first choice player and you won't be dropped. That's a great culture.

How to do that if you get dropped after playing first choice football?
And why start applying that logic after the kid plays one of his top 3 performances,as opposed to the 35 odd "gold pass" games hes been gifted in previous years?

Look past your bias mate. "First Choice player" is either based on merit or it or its not. In this case its not. No different to the gold pass selections we see every other week which Ned has benefitted from in the past.

A brilliant one?

We have an injury list of two players (with a combined games tally of 5 games). Competition should be fierce for spots.

It's a tough decision by Nicks and the right one. Another positive move by him IMO.

If you say so.

Forget thay its Ned for a minute.
The fact that players who didnt perform as well remain in the team suggests that competition can be as fierce as you like, but selection is still not being based on performance or form.
So what makes the competition so fierce besides pure wealth of numbers? Pecking order, seniority, non-statistical leadership qualities?

Last edited:
Gosh!!!
And I thought the club dropping Ned this week was a big call.

But seriously, you make a point which is valid. Not sure how I feel about it though. I'd feel Modra deja vu and that's not a good feeling.
Different situations though. Mods was coming off a knee reco. Wasnt even 12 months and he was back playing. Had one really good game against Geelong where he kicked 6 but was struggling to get back to normal standard. Blight dropped him after a poor performance in the first final and it turned out to be the right move but probably should not have been back yet anyway. Mods was also only 29 where Walker is 32.

If you say so.

The fact that players who didnt perform as well remain in the team suggests that competition can be as fierce as you like, but selection is still not being based on performance or form.
So what makes the competition so fierce besides pure wealth of numbers? Pecking order, seniority, non-statistical leadership qualities?
Nicks gave Ned zero coaches votes.
He couldn’t crack the side in the first 3 weeks.
He’s the definition of fringe, which will mean he’ll miss plenty of games.

If you say so.

I most certainly do.

One game doesn't consitute "form". Imagine a scenario where we dropped Rory Laird after his round 1 shocker. Should we have dropped Walker before he kicked 4 against Freo?

Ned was overlooked the first 3 rounds and was only brought in because we were missing 3 of our choice forwards (FOG, McAdam, Pedlar).

Yes he played very well, but his first 49 games didn't exactly make him a first choice player (as evidenced by his omission the first 3 weeks).

How long is a piece of string?

Right now our tiny injury list is making competition extra fierce. We also have lots of small forwards performing quite well.

Are we missing him though?
Great at training, wouldn’t miss a kick, but come game day he was terrible at defending and had no intensity in contests.
Well he is holding down KPD at the 2nd flag fave currently and been talked up as a bargain buy for the Pies. I get his poor contested stuff here but just saying he would very probably be playing tonight against the Blues big 3 talks (inc De Koning resting) and besides Murray we are really struggling in this area with Butts looking cooked currently - hopefully just injured

Well he is holding down KPD at the 2nd flag fave currently and been talked up as a bargain buy for the Pies. I get his poor contested stuff here but just saying he would very probably be playing tonight against the Blues big 3 talks (inc De Koning resting) and besides Murray we are really struggling in this area with Butts looking cooked currently - hopefully just injured
Their only loss has come with him playing 😆

Had 4 frees against. 7 clangers. His first half was shocking. Turned it on when we had a comfortable 5 goal lead. Can’t afford that against a quality side.
I wondered about this ie Frees Against and Clangers for McHenry and Murphy.
If selection was a toss-up between the two this week, those factors probably decided it.

If you say so.

To go back to Ned, who in our forward line isn't performing at the moment? It was a poisoned chalice of a selection for Neddy and one he handled superbly. After all, Pedlar is also performing and one of the great hopes of this football club moving forward. Not only that, the only person he could win a spot against is Murphy and he just had a big showdown performance.

Selection is always pecking order for the locked in spots and form for the marginal spots. Pedlar fits in the first group. For Ned, that's just the cold reality of being demoted to a depth player. Sometimes there just isn't a best 22 spot to win at a given time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, agree to disagree. How would you rate his performances so far for the Pies? Why so much media analyst praise for him?
Who in the media are praising him?

He's still a poor 1 on 1 defender... & an injured Butts is still a better defender.

Who in the media are praising him?

He's still a poor 1 on 1 defender... & an injured Butts is still a better defender.
Various segments on SEN I heard him being praised along with Fox Footy analysis. I dont have the capacity to go back digging everything up but similar to article below. The gist of my statement was (1) he would very likely be playing for us tonight and (2) he has played well for the Pies - and I was asking for your feedback on this - which I dont think you answered

Various segments on SEN I heard him being praised along with Fox Footy analysis. I dont have the capacity to go back digging everything up but similar to article below. The gist of my statement was (1) he would very likely be playing for us tonight and (2) he has played well for the Pies - and I was asking for your feedback on this - which I dont think you answered

Have never heard of this person. They are hardly a recognised media person.

No, Billy wouldn't be playing for us tonight & wouldn't help as he can't defend one on one.

Have never heard of this person. They are hardly a recognised media person.

No, Billy wouldn't be playing for us tonight & wouldn't help as he can't defend one on one.
ok mate lets move on. you are on a different page to me and not addressing the core issues i was raising. lets hope our backs smash em tonight

ok mate lets move on. you are on a different page to me and not addressing the core issues i was raising. lets hope our backs smash em tonight
Having watched him for the Pies he still doesn't know how to properly defend. It doesn't come naturally to him & never will.

We made the right choice to trade him imo.

Genuinely can’t believe how many complaints there have been about McHenry being dropped. He plays one good game, clearly an outlier, and there is outrage. Chances are if he played tonight he would have stunk it up again and the comments would’ve been, “I wish we dropped McHenry.”

I wondered about this ie Frees Against and Clangers for McHenry and Murphy.
If selection was a toss-up between the two this week, those factors probably decided it.
Free kicks against are counted as clangers.

Back