darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Stevenage
So the World Cup 2014 is laid to dust, over with, and we have a four year wait before the world descends on Russia. The Germans made history, Brazil made history (albeit for the wrong reasons), we had moments of great excitement and moments of huge controversy. It was, in the end, a great World Cup!

But lets look at the teams for which the World Cup was not so good...

England: My nation did what was expected of them and crashed out in the group stages. I'm not at all surprised. I had maintained an optimistic view that we might reach the quarter-finals but this was most definitely a best-case scenario, one which did not nearly pan out.

I actually think we played better football in Brazil than we did four years ago, but what we lacked was composure in the final third. We passed the ball sideways and backwards but lacked a cutting edge. If we can't score, then we're going nowhere.

Spain: The Spanish have joined the inglorious list of teams that won the World Cup then crashed out in the group stages next time around (France 2002, Italy 2010). Not only did they fail to make it out of their group but they were woeful against Holland (5-1 barely reflects just how bad) and individual mistakes from experienced and talented players marred their tournament. They have the talent and the resources but they need to regroup.

Italy: Some of the problems attributed to England can also be attributed to Italy. An ageing squad in some respects, like of a killer edge, and they looked tired against Costa Rica. They were unfortunate against Uraguay (in that Suarez should not have been on the pitch when he provided the winning assist), but they never looked like doing enough. This marks the second consecutive World Cup in which Italy have failed to make it out of the group stages.

Surprise Packages

Costa Rica: There can be no doubt that Costa Rica are the biggest surprise of this World Cup. Everyone assumed they would be cannon-fodder in Group D but they beat Italy and Uraguay and drew with England to top the group. Navas was superb in goal, letting in just two goals in five games in normal time, and his goal-keeping heroics got the Costa Ricans past Greece too. They took Holland all the way in the quarter-finals and proved a lot of people wrong.

USA: It might be a little unfair to regard the Americans as a surprise package. They have come a long way since the 1994 World Cup, and are starting to throw more weight behind football. They escaped from a potentially difficult group and did not disgrace themselves in any of their matches. Against Belgium they were unlucky not to find an equaliser and Tim Howard, like Navas, distinguished himself honourably.

The Big Kahunas

Brazil: So much expectation, ultimately, so little to show for it. They topped their group but needed dubious referring to beat Croatia, looked stifled against Mexico and could only record a dominant win against a shambolic Cameroon side. They needed penalties to beat Chile (who went oh-so close to putting them out) and once Colombia pulled one back in the quarter-finals, Brazil looked worried. Without Silva and especially Neymar against Germany, Brazil were beyond dreadful, playing worse than I have ever seen a Brazilian side play. I honestly could not believe my eyes as goal after easy goal found the back of the Brazilian net. England could have beaten them easily. Qatar could have beaten them easily. It was surreal.

(I'll add more later, but out of time at the mo)

So the World Cup 2014 is laid to dust, over with, and we have a four year wait before the world descends on Russia.

When you say 'world descends on Russia'.... :p

Pretty happy with our Socceroos performance. Ange seems to be getting the best out of our new generation, breath of fresh air over holger osieck (?)

The main thing I take out of this World Cup is a crackpot theory of my own that goes like this:
In ancient Greek mythology the gods envied mortals, because, as perverse as it may seem, mortals experienced death. And because mortals experienced death their lives took on more significance. For the gods, every day was the same, but mortals had to seek truth, goodness, beauty etc to enrich their temporary existence. Life was impermanent and therefore it was appreciated. So, the gods of Brazil are now shown to be mortal, and Brazil can now compete without having to carry expectations of invincibility. They have seen that it is possible to experience the bitterness of loss (i.e., death), but then to find the hope and desire to transform it into something to enrich life. I hope the outcome of WC 2014 lifts a psychological weight off the nation's sporting psyche, and players won't have to carry an unrealistic sense that they are immortals, and have to prove it time after time. Then they can just get on with the business of continuing to produce great players. And there is no reason for them to abandon jogo bonito.
Also, if football can deliver such bitter disappointment then maybe it will no longer be used by the nation as an escape from real problems.
But I'm usually full of crap. Maybe Brazil's real problem was... David Luiz. What a rubbish 'defender', can't believe anybody paid real money for him. Maybe they used ancient Greek drachma.

90744057f58d4f47b88e725b77c4bd27.gif

There's been debate about what would be a better alternative to shoot-outs, to decide knockout stages. All suggestions (to numerous to mention) were not good. I've come to accept that the shoot-out is the best alternative aet. The only adjustment I'd make is that everyone takes a penalty, with the possible exception of keepers. Nobody gets to hide. The shoot-out is done as a team. That's all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back