Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Austin McCrabb always struck me as a fairly limited operator when I was a kid.

I think Blighty agreed. I still remember him being ordered away from the Geelong team huddle at 3 quarter time one day. Poor guy had to stand on his own 50 meters away.

I think that says more about Blight...

Surprised Lukas Markovic isn't getting plenty of mentions. Still managed nearly 30 games as one of the worst defenders of the modern era. Tried hard, seemed like a nice guy but was oh so slow. Very bad player who summed up the McCartney era.

Surprised Lukas Markovic isn't getting plenty of mentions. Still managed nearly 30 games as one of the worst defenders of the modern era. Tried hard, seemed like a nice guy but was oh so slow. Very bad player who summed up the McCartney era.
I remember Coxy running him down in forward 50 once. So slow

David King (Collingwood) - didn't look like a footballer at all. He did kick a match-winner against Richmond in 2004, but was really ordinary.

Still remember him being talked about as a possible shock debutant in the 2003 GF. Would have been completely farcical. Not that some of the other selections on the day were much better mind...

People talked him up a bit at the time as far as I recall.

There should be a 50+ game caveat on this, anyway...

Mark Blake - kicked and handballed like he was taught the day he arrived at the club.

Cried like a baby + family connections meant we lost one of the best rucks in last 7-8 years (Mumford).

Should've looked worse but played in one of the best teams of the modern era.

Genuine spud.

He was pretty good at Box Hill but that was about his level.

Yeah Markovic was serviceable. Not sure where this idea that he was "talked up" was pulled from. Very unfashionable sort of player, but had his use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL player implies they actually had to debut rather than just sit on a list and not get a game, some of those players would be fairly shite...

Contenders...

Current:

James Aish - literally scared of any type of contact and even looks scared of the ball at times. Butchers his kicks under an ounce of pressure. What does he provide? He might have 'scope', but he looks utterly terrible to my eye and probably the worst I've seen recently. I would tackle him myself if he was my team mate just so he didn't have the ball anymore. Putrid.

Liam Jones - Just looks like he's never played a game in his life when he plays AFL. Runs to terrible spots, tries to take chest marks when he's got a man right with him. Just a dumb footballer. He honestly must crawl in a hole sometimes because he will seemingly go missing for half a game. Athletically he is great and is going well at VFL level which he has done in the past, but shits the bed almost every chance he gets at senior level. Must be delisted this year.

Honorable mention to Kyle Langford, has time to turn it around, but not sure how he was a first round draft pick let alone on the fringe of selection. He looks as soft as butter, disinterested and unable to impact a contest/game in any manner. We'll see...

I also think Nic Suban is borderline useless too but he's at least played some serviceable games to get to as many as he has right? ...... right?

Past:

Cain Ackland - Just terrible. Slow. s**t. Moved like he was 50 years old. s**t.

Winner (loser) - Israel Folau
- Looked lost and completely out of his depth. Embarrassed himself. Would have to be the worst to of played the game surely?

Last edited:
Honorable mention to Kyle Langford, has time to turn it around, but not sure how he was a first round draft pick let alone on the fringe of selection. He looks as soft as butter, disinterested and unable to impact a contest/game in any manner. We'll see...

I don't reckon he's all that bad - just a typical young bloke in and out of the seniors in his 3rd year. Even the game he got dropped he still kicked 2 goals and had low teens possessions and has been playing well in the VFL since dropped - even had 2 successive games with 14 and 16 tackles so he might be working on that intensity.

Reckon the bloke Carlton grabbed with the next live selection in Blaine Boekhorst might be a bit worse myself.

Without a doubt, Zac Dawson.

So glad he's been dropped. I have nightmares that Ross in a fit of stubbornness will find some s**t reason to put him back in the seniors.
Must have had photos of Ross doing something.
I know this has been done to death, but it still amazes me that a player who doesn't like to kick can get a game at AFL level.
Also, being first to the ball by a long way in a marking contest, then double fisting it........

Incredible.

I don't reckon he's all that bad - just a typical young bloke in and out of the seniors in his 3rd year. Even the game he got dropped he still kicked 2 goals and had low teens possessions and has been playing well in the VFL since dropped - even had 2 successive games with 14 and 16 tackles so he might be working on that intensity.

Reckon the bloke Carlton grabbed with the next live selection in Blaine Boekhorst might be a bit worse myself.

*Your player is worse than our player*

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back