Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Scott Turner. Full-back for Richmond during the '90s.

Would give hospital handballs from the goal square he's defending, and then run forward to give his team mate an "option", but of course a turnover has happened and the opposition are running for goal - and the goal square is open because he ran out of it...

Would wait outside of packs on the wrong side of goal as a defender...

Also, he was the designated kicker out of defence for whatever reason, and loved kicking it into the corridor no matter what (chances are it was a set play, but wow it was horrible to watch).

He also liked sneaking forward SOS-style a lot, but wasn't anywhere near the goal-kicker, and in fact just looked totally out of place and simply got Richmond killed on the rebound more often than not.

Weirdly, watching him play and direct (he was their general down back, like the Bizarro version of Luke Hodge) Richmond's backline was pretty hilarious to watch, but it was a godsend when Richmond got Darren Gaspar near the end of the '90s who basically acted as a Mr Fix-It for Turner's bloopers.

Anyway, Turner ended up playing almost 150 games.
Held Dunstall goalless once and played a pretty good game up forward in the 95 semi can't have been all that bad

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Held Dunstall goalless once and played a pretty good game up forward in the 95 semi can't have been all that bad
Truthfully, he wasn't that bad. But he was Richmond's #1 FB for a good chunk of the '90s and was just so, so ordinary during that time (a lot like young Schoenmakers was at times the #1 FB for the Hawks during that period between Croad retiring, and before Lake - which also saw weird experiments like Roughead in defence for full games as opposed to just using him as a swingman). I used to see Richmond do the same with Richardson running back to shore up their defence, and despite Richo being a brilliant forward (with his only knock being the jitters he sometimes got when kicking set shots), when it came to applying pressure and field-kicking, he was consistently so-so.

The funniest thing about Turner though is he was an on-field leader, but his ideas and directions were usually pretty horrible. Which I think was a product of Richmond's team at the time being pretty limited in leaders in the backline. Can't knock Turner's effort, of course. I remember the Tiger's midfield being their greatest asset at the time.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Bullshit. Silvagni played against some of the all time great full forwards and if you ask players like Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett they will say he was a fantastic player. Truly deserved being named Full Back of the century.

He also played some time at FF, and didn't play FB all the time, whereas some of the other FBs only played there.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Thought Bate was decent, all things considered.

Tough gig being a forward for the Dees during their dark period, but he managed to lead up and present reasonably well.

Looked to be on the verge of becoming a pretty good player circa 2009-2010, but then injuries and Mark Neeld hit, and it went sour for everyone.

The only good thing about Matthew Bate is that my brothers and I came up with a nickname for him- "Masta"!

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I’m not so sure Gary Rohan is better than Tom Boyd, i think Boyds been slightly more useful. Rohan shouldnt even be on an afl list.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Zac Dawson.
I genuinely don’t know how he made it to AFL level. Horrible horrible kick of the footy, not strong, not fast.

Back