Would Hobart need a new stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm just wanting to know if people think if Tasmania was successful in getting an AFL team later this decade would they need to build a new stadium in Hobart or would they just stick with Blundstone.

I'd go for a minor upgrade of UTAS Stadium (Add facilities to the outer)
Then throw all remaining money into a new Hobart Stadium.

I'd also seriously consider going for 40k.
Drag a test match down there every summer - and at that size you can start potentially drawing concerts.

Yes, they need one, because Bellerive Oval is old, and in an awful location, hemmed in by the sea and nearby streets. I liked the suggestion someone had (may have been madmug ) of rebuilding KGV Oval to 30k, because it's next to a commercial centre with pubs and restaurants, and is also on the old railway line, which might eventually be reinvigorated with a new service.

Yes, they need one, because Bellerive Oval is old, and in an awful location, hemmed in by the sea and nearby streets. I liked the suggestion someone had (may have been madmug ) of rebuilding KGV Oval to 30k, because it's next to a commercial centre with pubs and restaurants, and is also on the old railway line, which might eventually be reinvigorated with a new service.
The KGV option has been there for decades. Most older people who grew up in tassie could see it was a way better option than Bellerive. The best option was the Michael Kent led redevelopment of the Showgrounds in the 90’s but they sold a fair bit of land off to Bunnings…..fmd!!! The Maq point idea is the best but from what we all hear it’s really not an option anymore. The best realistic solution imo & always has been KGV but a suggestion put on another thread if money wasn’t such a big issue would be Elwick racecourse. Piggy back off and add to a lot of the infrastructure that would come about due to the Jack Jumpers moving into the DEC. Move the racecourse out to somewhere else. Brighton, Cambridge etc The biggest advantage with KGV is the council will be more approachable than the HCC who have been very difficult to work with ever since the greens infiltrated it. Imo a solution would be the state government to take control of this issue and make it a matter of state significance so it’s not run by a bunch of councillors who no1 barely knows or cares about.

Bellerive isn't old!. Thats not the problem. Most of the facilities reasonably modern.

The oval surface was redone in mid 1980's for cricket. The surface & drainage is excellent.

The David Boon Stand is near 20 years old, as is the members area. The Ponting stand only about 7 years old.

Its just position/access which is the major problem.

Glenorchy CBD isn't exactly flush with Michelin star restaurants :), . 2 pubs. The Paddy Wagon(so named because it was originally the Police station for the area. ;)) is quite good. The Elwick is a pokies dump with an old drinkers bar next to it.

The proposed light rail would be good for the area & if KGV was to get a make over.

I'd go for a minor upgrade of UTAS Stadium (Add facilities to the outer)
Then throw all remaining money into a new Hobart Stadium.

I'd also seriously consider going for 40k.
Drag a test match down there every summer - and at that size you can start potentially drawing concerts.

This would be equivalent per capita to building a stadium in Melbourne that holds about 1 million people. Seems like a bit of overkill.

This would be equivalent per capita to building a stadium in Melbourne that holds about 1 million people. Seems like a bit of overkill.

Yes. I'd think in a more accessible site 30k would be the max. Also for Utas.

Utas will get the lions share of any start up refurbishment. It badly needs the outer wing tin slums pulled down & replaced with a decent stand & patron facilities closer to the ground.

Maybe if anything else they should bring the boundary line in a few metres. A minor thing at best.

Yes. I'd think in a more accessible site 30k would be the max. Also for Utas.

Utas will get the lions share of any start up refurbishment. It badly needs the outer wing tin slums pulled down & replaced with a decent stand & patron facilities closer to the ground.

Maybe if anything else they should bring the boundary line in a few metres. A minor thing at best.
I think the AFL will make it a requirement that Hobart builds a new stadium or we won't get an AFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would want to make sure they don't have a stadium in the capital that has problems with parking and what ever else. I definitely want AFL in the capital and believe it is a must for our own AFL team but with stadium problems usually causes declining crowds so I think we need to build a stadium out the northern suburbs before we get a team.

They would want to make sure they don't have a stadium in the capital that has problems with parking and what ever else. I definitely want AFL in the capital and believe it is a must for our own AFL team but with stadium problems usually causes declining crowds so I think we need to build a stadium out the northern suburbs before we get a team.

I agree access is crap, but have you ever tried to get a park near the SCG or the Gabba?

I'd love to see a new place built. Like at Mac Point or KGV. I think we'll be waiting a while for anything like that though. ;)

more to do with quality of opposition

imagine the crowd ifwewent back to 6 tests and you got an ashes

That won't happen. Modern tours are usually 3 tests. Ashes are 5 so they will go to the major cities.

So we're lucky to have been given Afghanistan. If that even goes ahead now.

The lack of games is why I dumped my membership. It became more of a donation. The TCA didn't even bother asking why. They clearly CGAF about the members. They crawl up to CA, Sponsors & Government ok. Its like an elite members club where normal members are thought of as shyte.

I agree access is crap, but have you ever tried to get a park near the SCG or the Gabba?

I'd love to see a new place built. Like at Mac Point or KGV. I think we'll be waiting a while for anything like that though. ;)
Don't know about the Gabba but access to the SCG is fine. Parking on the grounds and schools nearby is rarely completely full. 1/2 hour walk from Central station is a popular option, plus the light rail and buses.

Apart from seeing you just joined BF & chose this 'non' topic to post on!!

Anyway, It is really a non issue & yes, who would spend $500mil for 6 games a year?
It would need to show it can be used for other events before being built. I really worry that big numbers will be turned away from attending if the long term home for AFL in Hobart is at Blundstone,just imagine crowds of 20000 plus getting in and out of Blundstone on a regular basis.

It would need to show it can be used for other events before being built. I really worry that big numbers will be turned away from attending if the long term home for AFL in Hobart is at Blundstone,just imagine crowds of 20000 plus getting in and out of Blundstone on a regular basis.

Plenty of people here vote with their feet & don't bother going.

When built, the powers that be dismissed any comment querying the sense of putting it at Bellerive. The retort was that people in Melbourne take ages to get to events!!!

Thats the sort of dismissive & arrogant crap you get from them.

One big lessons when running a business is to provide the customer what they want & give them few excuses not to come to you. They failed on both these points.

Overall its a great facility, just crap to to to & from.

Apart from seeing you just joined BF & chose this 'non' topic to post on!!

Anyway, It is really a non issue & yes, who would spend $500mil for 6 games a year?
Cities who have NFL franchises.
Oh wait, that's $1.5B for 8 games

Close enough.

Would seem a shame given the level of investment in stands, lights, scoreboards, corporate and club facilities at Bellerieve Oval over the last 15 years. I would advocate developing it further to ensure that you can get at least 15,000 under cover. It is also the home for Tasmanian Cricket so there is probably a strong case for developing a stadium that will be used all year round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back