Analysis Would relegation make the AFL better?

Would relegation make the AFL better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are these promoted teams coming from anyway? Does anything truly think West Perth or Southport have better lists than West Coast and North?

Ok maybe not North...
Well, if Tasmania comes in as 19 there would very likely be a 20th soon after. Probably WA3, possibly Canberra, or at a stretch a third Sydney side (I don't see that happening until GWS is more established in their prime home and they may need to dump Canberra to do that).

WTF?

The 19th team wot be Tasmania and 20th would be a NT license.

It would not like west Perth or Norwood. The 20 clubs would be the current AFL licenses.

Right. Lets go over it slowly.

So again, you're going to split the league in to two divisions.

Div 1
Div 2

You've just condemned half the teams in the league to be 2nd class citizens with the only way to get out of the 2nd division is by beating a team in the 1st division.

So are we going to pretend that the teams in the 2nd division are still going to have the same income as the 1st division? You stated that "No one wants to watch Melbourne or Brisbane play North Melbourne or the Crows", well who's going to want to watch North play the crows? So obviously TV/Ad revenue is going to go down. Whos going to want to sponsor a team in the 2nd division? Which fans are going to go and watch the games? Did you see the crows for some teams last week?

Remember, currently in AFL right now, certain teams aren't given prime TV slots because they know there is little interest in watching those teams play. Melbourne, when they were at their worst, had trouble getting sponsors. AFL teams have struggled to turn a profit over the last 20 years. And this is with one league.

Why are players going to want to stay stuck playing for a team in the 2nd division? Why are younger drafted players going to want to be drafted for teams in the 2nd division?

The teams in the 1st Division are just going to do exactly what happened in the Premier League, realize that they have all the money and power and just create their own league. Actually.....where have I read this before.....

"During the 1890s, an off-field power struggle occurred between the VFA's stronger and weaker clubs, the former seeking greater administrative control commensurate with their relative financial contribution to the game. This came to a head in 1896 when it was proposed that gate profits, which were always lower in matches involving the weaker clubs, be shared equally amongst all teams in the VFA. After it was intimated that the proposal would be put to a vote, six of the strongest clubs—Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne and South Melbourne—seceded from the VFA"

Right. Lets go over it slowly.

So again, you're going to split the league in to two divisions.

Div 1
Div 2

You've just condemned half the teams in the league to be 2nd class citizens with the only way to get out of the 2nd division is by beating a team in the 1st division.

So are we going to pretend that the teams in the 2nd division are still going to have the same income as the 1st division? You stated that "No one wants to watch Melbourne or Brisbane play North Melbourne or the Crows", well who's going to want to watch North play the crows? So obviously TV/Ad revenue is going to go down. Whos going to want to sponsor a team in the 2nd division? Which fans are going to go and watch the games? Did you see the crows for some teams last week?

Remember, currently in AFL right now, certain teams aren't given prime TV slots because they know there is little interest in watching those teams play. Melbourne, when they were at their worst, had trouble getting sponsors. AFL teams have struggled to turn a profit over the last 20 years. And this is with one league.

Why are players going to want to stay stuck playing for a team in the 2nd division? Why are younger drafted players going to want to be drafted for teams in the 2nd division?

The teams in the 1st Division are just going to do exactly what happened in the Premier League, realize that they have all the money and power and just create their own league. Actually.....where have I read this before.....

"During the 1890s, an off-field power struggle occurred between the VFA's stronger and weaker clubs, the former seeking greater administrative control commensurate with their relative financial contribution to the game. This came to a head in 1896 when it was proposed that gate profits, which were always lower in matches involving the weaker clubs, be shared equally amongst all teams in the VFA. After it was intimated that the proposal would be put to a vote, six of the strongest clubs—Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne and South Melbourne—seceded from the VFA"

Since I’ve “condemned” half the teams to doom and gloom, are you are saying, it’s absolutely impossible for the Gold Coast Sun (11th) or Port Adelaide Power (12th) to beat St Kilda Saints (9th) or Collingwood (10th)?

Do you honestly know his ludicrous that sounds?

With equalization, no one gets the same amount of funding from the AFL. So that’s a second poor or lazy point you have made. For the record, funding for clubs would not change at all.

Neutral fans want to watch a close game. Not a blow out base on the difference in standard between the clubs. Right now, I’m watching the Essendon Vs West Coast game on Fox as the standard between the 2 clubs is much closer. Western bulldogs Vs Hawthorn is a 10 goal dribbling. Guess that’s far more appealing for neutral footy fans.

Do I will leave you with that as you clearly are just a troll on this subject.

Since I’ve “condemned” half the teams to doom and gloom, are you are saying, it’s absolutely impossible for the Gold Coast Sun (11th) or Port Adelaide Power (12th) to beat St Kilda Saints (9th) or Collingwood (10th)?

Do you honestly know his ludicrous that sounds?

With equalization, no one gets the same amount of funding from the AFL. So that’s a second poor or lazy point you have made. For the record, funding for clubs would not change at all.

Neutral fans want to watch a close game. Not a blow out base on the difference in standard between the clubs. Right now, I’m watching the Essendon Vs West Coast game on Fox as the standard between the 2 clubs is much closer. Western bulldogs Vs Hawthorn is a 10 goal dribbling. Guess that’s far more appealing for neutral footy fans.

Do I will leave you with that as you clearly are just a troll on this subject.

I'm a troll because your suggestion is trash? You're completely deluded, living in a fantasy world.

Thankfully you'll never be in a position to create such a monstrosity and the people in charge of the AFL have a better understanding of the pitfalls of such a garbage, unworkable idea.

Hard NO.
Think about it, the club’s individual 2 would halve their interest. Also, teams like Carlton, Saints, Pies who are now winning and fighting for a spot I. The 8 would suddenly be cellar dwellers in Div 1. So, less interest in those games as well.
It would result in lower crowds, lower ratings, less revenue, less overall interest in footy. NRL would be the only winners.
There are heaps of alternative ways to improve fixturing. Remember the 17/5 idea that was impossible due to some clubs having 10 home games and some 12? Once Tas come in we will have an uneven number of teams which allows for an 18/4 split . After 18 games (rnd 19) you split the top 12 who play against each other for a spot in the final 8 and have a bye in round 24. The other seven teams play each other over over round 20 - 24. Allows for a heap of blockbuster matches and some wins for the bottom 7 clubs and optimism going into the next season. Much better than promotion/relegation.

Back