Would you trust a self driving car

Remove this Banner Ad

No it won’t, because self-driving cars will be able to sit closer safely, as the first car in a line of, say 10 cars, will be able to signal the 9 behind they are going to brake, how hard and continue to update the other 9 every few milliseconds. No slamming on the brakes to be rear ended.

In order to support this though you need dedicated driverless car lanes. So at first it won’t improve traffic much, until numbers allow these lanes, then if your choice is a driverless car allowed to travel safely at 120 peak hour traffic versus 40 if you want to drive, soon enough cars will be more the weekend drives or off-roading. Most will be happy to pass the task off. Kids born this year, many wont bother getting a license and their kids almost none will.

I think car lanes with automated driving would be a good step forward. But it's still a long way from a car that can drive you from the pub home when you are pissed.

I think car lanes with automated driving would be a good step forward. But it's still a long way from a car that can drive you from the pub home when you are pissed.
Segregated car lanes would still be filled with dickheads or wannabe SOAs that think rules dont apply to them.

i don't think i'd like it but I know deep down i'm just an old fogey neo-luddite

if i didn't grow up with microwaves (ie if they came out now) i wouldn't touch them

but i did so i did

i got dragged kicking and screaming into the smartphone era when 2G went offline so no doubt i'll end up in a driverless car but i won't be the first lining up for it

I'd more likely trust a self driving car than some of the actual uber drivers lately. 20k under the limit the entire time yet still manage to mount the curb on a roundabout!

They drive so slow now, when I first got in it was 18mins estimated arrival and after 10 mins of driving we were still at 16! Giving me the shits lately

I, like most people, am under a delusion that I'm a good driver. Soon the AI will be far, far better at driving than me. Once the statistics ahow they are safer, I will ne fine with it. I already use cruise control during every journey I make.

People drive while drunk, on drugs, doing makeup, on the phone, eating, texting, in a bad mood, tired, rubbernecking, etc. A machine has none of these distractions.

We clearly hold machines to a higher standard.

If an AI took the current average toll of 250 people a year on our roads the technology would be considered unreliable. Soon enough the question will be if you can trust a human driven car. Perhaps a manually driven fatality would be considered manslaughter .

I'd trust it more than I trust most other drivers around here.
Bang on.

That said, people have unrealistic expectations of driverless cars. Under simple conditions like a freeway, we should have driverless function in cars in 10 years, but driving you home along suburban streets, making all the major decisions? Way further off.

I know plenty of people that used to have self driving cars. They'd get blind drunk and wake up the next morning and their car would be in the garage.
If you drink drive you’re a ******* idiot. If you make it home without getting caught you’re a bloody legend.

I'd find it boring as ****.

Many people enjoy the experience of driving. It's why so much money is spent on restoring old cars.

I too enjoy driving and I don't see that side of things going away in a hurry.

But think of those boring commutes some people do every day. Like Geelong or Pakenham to Melbourne for example. Imagine using that time to either do work or read a book or watch Game of Thrones or something. There is a massive upside.

Even on county recreational drives, taking time out here and there from concentrating on the road, and fully appreciating the scenery would be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you drink drive you’re a ******* idiot. If you make it home without getting caught you’re a bloody legend.
you're still an idiot, just a lucky one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back