WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

1stEmergency

Team Captain
Dec 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Heard a story about sunshine once starting a bushfire in a pre season game and just ******* off absoloute disgrace of a football club
I love this, keep going… tell us more! Dirty yellow bellies!

So far it seems all Div 2 clubs are being quite conservative with recruits. Has no one signed anyone yet???

Yeah let’s hear the info!! Where, when?? have some good mates that played at sunshine and are still involved, will be able to check.

On to footy stuff.. have notice lots of resigning.. no a lot of new players to Div 2.. are clubs being conservative or is it a problem attracting players to 2nd division??

Yeah let’s hear the info!! Where, when?? have some good mates that played at sunshine and are still involved, will be able to check.

On to footy stuff.. have notice lots of resigning.. no a lot of new players to Div 2.. are clubs being conservative or is it a problem attracting players to 2nd division??
Pre season trip to moe, for a game, on the way back some bloke put his cigarette on the grass and caused a huge fire and bus took off and players were told not to say anything

Will Div 2 and 3 merge now would Parkside go up to div 1 keep sunshine up to.
10 in
div 1 Altona spotty werribee dist point cook point cook centrals yarraville hoppers
Sunshine Caroline Springs Parkside.

Div 2 Albion Braybrook Nth Footscray West
Footscray Nth Sunshine Albanvale Laverton Suns Tarniet Sunshine Heights Glenorden Newport

10 in
div 1 Altona spotty werribee dist point cook point cook centrals yarraville hoppers

Footscray Nth Sunshine Albanvale Laverton Suns Tarniet Sunshine Heights Glenorden Newport
It’s a good thought for WRFL

If it goes to two divisions, expect a few clubs to try and cross over to the Amateurs at the end of 2023.

If that happens, you may as well merge the WRFL and EDFL at the same time.

Who will move to Ammo’s? Would be a big move and complete change with no player payments, no selling of grog during games and would they be accepted/ wanted

I think 2 divisions makes sense

Why on earth would any club this side of town go to the Ammos?

Of the 7 teams in D4 ( where new teams start) in 2022, one is in Bundoora, 2 in Box Hill, 1 is in Doveton, 1 in Noble Park, 1 in Hawthorn with the closest in Albert Park.

Petrol is at $2.20 p/Lt, with no match payments, good luck attracting players.

Point Cook, Werribee and Rupertswood all left the VAFA for a reason.

10 in

Not sure if you have ever been involved in recruiting and preparing a list for an upcoming season but what you are asking (Fair question) is impossible now unless you want to destroy clubs.

There are few quality players not signed yet you want Parkside and Sunshine who would have recruited under both the Salary cap and points system to play in Div 2. A lot of their players would have signed to play Div 2 football. Put them up to Div 1 now and you are putting the clubs at risk.

The same goes for all clubs in Div 3. Players have signed and been recruited to play Div 3 footy, not be thrashed every second week in Div 2. Again how many clubs do you want left ? (Not you personally but anyone suggesting this type of change)

If the appeal fails the WRFL will have to run with an 8 8 and 7 structure for 2023. Where they go from there will take time to restructure as each and every club has to plan for the 2 seasons after 2023.

Personally I cannot see how merging the EDFL and WRFL actually assists anyone, however the WRFL would need to replace those leaving the comp ASAP and then have a transitional period of no relegation and promotion to Div 1 from Div 2 over 2 seasons to allow clubs to prepare if the want a 10 team Div1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8-8-7 and the WRFL desperately need to find 4-5 clubs to fill the void of St. A and DP leaving (and try not to lose any more clubs).

Any ideas of potential clubs that could join? Burnside Heights (unlikely), Melton Bloods/South, Diggers Rest, Werribee Centrals, Eynesbury etc.

8-8-7 and the WRFL desperately need to find 4-5 clubs to fill the void of St. A and DP leaving (and try not to lose any more clubs).

Any ideas of potential clubs that could join? Burnside Heights (unlikely), Melton Bloods/South, Diggers Rest, Werribee Centrals, Eynesbury etc.

Could throw Rockbank, Melton Centrals on that list and hope Manor Lakes come back. Truganina and Aintree will eventually join the senior ranks (probably 6-8 years away).

Realistically though besides Rockbank and Melton South I doubt any of the mentioned clubs will join (ever or) any time soon.. Rockbank and Melton South I think are very likely to talk about a move to WRFL again this year - Rockbank was almost there this year and South was almost there last year. Both clubs have had meetings in the past 12-24 months and the votes were close each time. With both clubs struggling to be competitive I think a move is imminent.

Last edited:
Could throw Rockbank, Melton Centrals on that list and hope Manor Lakes come back. Truganina and Aintree will eventually join the senior ranks (probably 6-8 years away).

Realistically though besides Rockbank and Melton South I doubt any of the mentioned clubs will join (ever or) any time soon.. Rockbank and Melton South I think are very likely to talk about a move to WRFL again this year - Rockbank was almost there this year and South was almost there last year. Both clubs have had meetings in the past 12-24 months and the votes were close each time. With both clubs struggling to be competitive a move is imminent
Please correct me. I thought Melton Centrals were actually a franchise club of the RDFL and owned by the league to maintain a presence in the Melton area after Melton and Melton south left?

If the appeal fails (which is likely) how do you run a 8 team Div 1 comp ? Play each other twice = 14 games, final 4 = 3 week final series, will be finished early August !

Please correct me. I thought Melton Centrals were actually a franchise club of the RDFL and owned by the league to maintain a presence in the Melton area after Melton and Melton south left?
No they are not owned by the league, normal footy club like all others.

They do have the league headquarters at their ground so perhaps that’s why some people may think that to be the case.

If the appeal fails (which is likely) how do you run a 8 team Div 1 comp ? Play each other twice = 14 games, final 4 = 3 week final series, will be finished early August !

Play each other twice =14 games. From there get the 4 remaining finalists from 2022 to play each other a 3rď time =3.

Allow each of those 4 to play one of the remaining bottom four from 2022 (PCC replaces Sunshine) =1

That's 18 matches as per usual.

Nobody wants to see the top teams play each of the bottom teams 3 times, one of them is enough.

Anyone know when clearances open? Word on the street is there will be plenty outs for one particular club.

Realistically though besides Rockbank and Melton South I doubt any of the mentioned clubs will join (ever or) any time soon.. Rockbank and Melton South I think are very likely to talk about a move to WRFL again this year - Rockbank was almost there this year and South was almost there last year. Both clubs have had meetings in the past 12-24 months and the votes were close each time. With both clubs struggling to be competitive I think a move is imminent.
Players are generally aligned to their clubs for 5 or 6 years (or thereabouts). It's not fair on clubs to have such an important vote with players having a majority voting input with many not being there for the (very) long term.
Perhaps constitutions could be amended so that such an important discussion and vote be confined to the current committee and life members??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back