WRFL Div 3 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Not connected to the league but they should keep Div 3. Really if you have 6 teams in it that is enough. Without Div 3 how does glenordan get going again or how does a new team start up?

If they want to get going and start up again, they need to put in a sustainable plan and stick to it. Not just try win a flag and fall over again and again.

Division 2 will still be competitive next year outside of North Sunshine. (If they don't change their fate)

It's not that big of a jump. Reckon Suns vs Newport or Wyndham vale would be a good game, and half the div 3 sides would flog North Footscray and Braybrook.....

Division 1 integrity needs min 10 sides (18 rounds and play everyone twice). So it's a great thing that for the first time in a long time, the tail isn't wagging the dog.

Division 2 couldn't just function on 4 teams, and catering for underperformed clubs, is ridiculous and probably the reason the league has underperformed itself in growing (in a growth corridor mind you).

Sounds like there is some stronger and considered leadership now. Jump on div 3 clubs, get better or die on the vine

What is everyone’s thoughts on abolishing Div 3?

Initially I was for it but it just seems like a shame. All three divisions were fairly even this year for the first time in many years.

Take out Braybrook and North Sunshine all teams had multiple wins, finals were close and we saw bottom feeders actually start to push up.

Look at Laverton, they are doing great work down there and have improved so much now they have to go to Division 2 to get flogged and be set back another 5 years. Albion finally have success and then get promoted without a flag, west Footscray finally win games and then get promoted…

I know 8, 7 and 7 doesnt look good on paper but it’s actually worked out ok.

I wonder what concessions division 3 clubs will get when they go up - increased points and salary cap? Will that make a difference

I don’t know maybe it’s left afield but I’d be inclined to leave it as is and then hopefully over the next few years a Glenorden, manor lakes, Truganina or even an aintree can come in

I enjoyed the competitiveness this year across the 3 divisions too, e.g. the average winning margin in H&A WRFL D1 this year was 34 points, compared to 50 points in the EDFL Premier and 46 in its D1. However, with only 22 senior clubs, 2 divisions is appropriate.

My thoughts:

1. The League needs to focus on its division 1 comp., keep those clubs happy and ensure it doesn't lose any more D1 clubs;
2. There will be more ex D3 clubs in D2 next season than clubs that played in D2 this season, so it won't be as lopsided as it would have been 5 years ago;
3. Subject to no more clubs leaving, in the medium term,the WRFL should return to 3 sustainable divisions. The WRFL's recent review document stated it will be lobbying local councils in the West for more local netball facilities which will help it move netball away from its current centralised location and help it attract nearby clubs where netball is played at the same venue as football. I think this has been a major impediment for some clubs coming to the WRFL.
4. Am pleased the WRFL will be providing club development staff and resources to D3 transitioning to D2. This maybe being provided by AFL Vic who have privately acknowledged they have not been as focussed on the WRFL as they should have been;
5. Changing structure will always disadvantage particular clubs, so sincerely hope those clubs can cope, be competitive and survive.

I enjoyed the competitiveness this year across the 3 divisions too, e.g. the average winning margin in H&A WRFL D1 this year was 34 points, compared to 50 points in the EDFL Premier and 46 in its D1. However, with only 22 senior clubs, 2 divisions is appropriate.

My thoughts:

3. Subject to no more clubs leaving, in the medium term,the WRFL should return to 3 sustainable divisions. The WRFL's recent review document stated it will be lobbying local councils in the West for more local netball facilities which will help it move netball away from its current centralised location and help it attract nearby clubs where netball is played at the same venue as football. I think this has been a major impediment for some clubs coming to the WRFL.

the netball issue is a massive one

Having same day netball means players are more connected to the club but meals at the club on a Thursday night

Spend money on a Saturday

Having it disjointed because of lack of facilities is a terrible idea but a necessary one for now

Earlier this season, Laverton played practice matches against Masala and Box Hill North, both VAFA D4 clubs
Was Laverton testing the waters for a future move?

Earlier this season, Laverton played practice matches against Masala and Box Hill North, both VAFA D4 clubs
Was Laverton testing the waters for a future move?

All I read about in the VAFA threads is that the VAFA do not care about the Division clubs particularly the district clubs.

Werribee, Point Cook, Ivanhoe, Banyule, Bentleigh, Thomastown are District clubs who have left the Ammos for the same reasons - travel and attracting players when $$ are being paid by neighbouring clubs.

Would be the end of Laverton if they went to the VAFA, be staggered if they did, particularly as the CYS are the only western suburbs Ammos club left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rockbank come in, why not have Div 1 8, Div 2 8 and Div 3 7

If all divisions are even it’s only better for the competition - everyone has a chance, standard gets better as there’s more motivation to be better because it’s achievable

I still think the change to two Divisions is detrimental to Albion, Laverton and North Sunshine (even Tarneit, West F, Heights and Albanvale). Wasn’t long ago Heights, West and Albanvale were struggling in Div 2 - these clubs are now revitalised in Div 3

Keeping Division 3 also keeps the door open for Manor Lakes, Glenorden and newer / entry clubs like Eynesbury and Aintree down the track to come in

Plus Div 3 has been a good way for the league to retain players who want a social kick who won’t get an opportunity at stronger clubs

There’s no point having 10 teams in Div 1 just to demoralise 3-6 clubs along the way. Every club should feel like they have a chance.

When will the decision be made on the structure next season, the decision needs to made soon as surely it would have a bearing on signing / resigning players to some of those Divy 3 clubs

If Rockbank come in, why not have Div 1 8, Div 2 8 and Div 3 7

If all divisions are even it’s only better for the competition - everyone has a chance, standard gets better as there’s more motivation to be better because it’s achievable

I still think the change to two Divisions is detrimental to Albion, Laverton and North Sunshine (even Tarneit, West F, Heights and Albanvale). Wasn’t long ago Heights, West and Albanvale were struggling in Div 2 - these clubs are now revitalised in Div 3

Keeping Division 3 also keeps the door open for Manor Lakes, Glenorden and newer / entry clubs like Eynesbury and Aintree down the track to come in

Plus Div 3 has been a good way for the league to retain players who want a social kick who won’t get an opportunity at stronger clubs

There’s no point having 10 teams in Div 1 just to demoralise 3-6 clubs along the way. Every club should feel like they have a chance.
Because it leaves your division 1 fixtures skewed for the sake of accommodating mediocrity.

Because it leaves your division 1 fixtures skewed for the sake of accommodating mediocrity.
So when the league has 15-16 teams and only 1 division that’s a good thing..

Such an elitist mindset, football should be accessible to everyone. Hence the success of EDFL and VAFA.

So what if Division 1 teams have to play a team or two an extra time. It’s a league not just division 1…

Participation overall will diminish if there are only two divisions, participation has to be king - it’s what brings in the dollars and is best for the community.

So when the league has 15-16 teams and only 1 division that’s a good thing..

Such an elitist mindset, football should be accessible to everyone. Hence the success of EDFL and VAFA.

So what if Division 1 teams have to play a team or two an extra time. It’s a league not just division 1…

Participation overall will diminish if there are only two divisions, participation has to be king - it’s what brings in the dollars and is best for the community.
Better to have 10 strong clubs than 25 weak ones.

Have a thirds and a fourths comp if you have too.

There is no other comp that let's division 3 wag the dog like this comp.

18 rounds of division 1 footy needs 10 teams. That gets sorted first, as that is the real money is. Nearly 7000 at Chirnside on a Sunday is testament to that.

Everything else comes 2nd, 3rd and so on.

Division 3 should be last considered

Don't want to appear to be sitting on the fence.....but community / local footy need to focus on both.

That is, it needs to provide a strong top tier, preferably 10 teams that is good enough to attract good players relatively serious about their footy. Everybody likes to watch decent footy and I enjoyed watching the WRFL D1 finals this year.

However it is community based footy and it also needs to cater to the masses as well. If a club can field 2 teams, have a ground with decent facilities, pay their bills and behave themselves on field , local footy leagues need to facilitate them. Who are we or a local comp to tell a player / club they can't play because they are not all that good?

Don't want to appear to be sitting on the fence.....but community / local footy need to focus on both.

That is, it needs to provide a strong top tier, preferably 10 teams that is good enough to attract good players relatively serious about their footy. Everybody likes to watch decent footy and I enjoyed watching the WRFL D1 finals this year.

However it is community based footy and it also needs to cater to the masses as well. If a club can field 2 teams, have a ground with decent facilities, pay their bills and behave themselves on field , local footy leagues need to facilitate them. Who are we or a local comp to
Maybe the WRFL could introduce club 18’s.. if clubs want a more social aspect this could be an option and build them selves up to be more
Competitive whether it’s getting some cash in the bank etc
They already have one that is combined and governed by the RDFNL. However there is now more WRFL sides in it than RDFNL sides, so they should take it over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back