WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Albion doesn’t want to go up
Don't blame them. Have been rebuilding their team over the last 3 years and probably a year away from being even competitive in Div 1. There are quite a few Div 2 clubs do not want to go into Div 1 as it will literally kill them, not sure if Albion are one of those clubs.

There are also clubs in Div2/3 building towards becoming a Div 1 club but at this stage are a bit away from that

Don't blame them. Have been rebuilding their team over the last 3 years and probably a year away from being even competitive in Div 1. There are quite a few Div 2 clubs do not want to go into Div 1 as it will literally kill them, not sure if Albion are one of those clubs.

There are also clubs in Div2/3 building towards becoming a Div 1 club but at this stage are a bit away from that
They were a bounce of the ball away from winning a flag. Time to harden up

They were a bounce of the ball away from winning a flag. Time to harden up
History shows the premiers don’t have to go up - Deer Park, Altona and Parkside (they weren’t down!). The first two became very strong in Division 1.

This year Albion played finals for the first time in 11 years. In Division 1 they were getting pumped every week…

Now they've missed out on a flag by a whisker and have to go up - only to get pumped every week again for a year or two.

I’m with them, I’d want to stay down too. Any progress they have made will be lost…

History shows the premiers don’t have to go up - Deer Park, Altona and Parkside (they weren’t down!). The first two became very strong in Division 1.

This year Albion played finals for the first time in 11 years. In Division 1 they were getting pumped every week…

Now they've missed out on a flag by a whisker and have to go up - only to get pumped every week again for a year or two.

I’m with them, I’d want to stay down too. Any progress they have made will be lost…
and here we go again, wondering why the league hits mediocrity with defeated mentality even before they take the field.

Div 1 is far more even across the board at the moment. Second last knocked off top spot. But if you want to stay down and win dancing with your cousin cups, go for your life Albion..... you weak bastards

and here we go again, wondering why the league hits mediocrity with defeated mentality even before they take the field.

Div 1 is far more even across the board at the moment. Second last knocked off top spot. But if you want to stay down and win dancing with your cousin cups, go for your life Albion..... you weak bastards
Things changed quickly for this year and the comp for the most part was more even. Can’t say that it won’t change again and become more lopsided next season.

Why do they have to go up. Isn’t it only the premiers that go up? Have a missed something?

Why do they have to go up. Isn’t it only the premiers that go up? Have a missed something?
Yes you have. WRFL want a 10 team division 1 and will most likely only have 2 divisions next season.
No relegations in division 1 and top 2 will go up. I’d be surprised if the league changes their mind. Surely Albion could beat Parkside and hoppers next year with 1 or 2 recruits and keep their current list.

Hi Squeak
Do you still read the (former) D3 forum?

Yes you have. WRFL want a 10 team division 1 and will most likely only have 2 divisions next season.
No relegations in division 1 and top 2 will go up. I’d be surprised if the league changes their mind. Surely Albion could beat Parkside and hoppers next year with 1 or 2 recruits and keep their current list.
My understanding is that you are partly correct. Yes, 2 divisions, but 2024 Div 1 with 9 teams and Div 2 with 13, Parkside up. In 2025 Div 1 10 teams and Div 2 remaining. Therefore assuming no relegation during this time

My understanding is that you are partly correct. Yes, 2 divisions, but 2024 Div 1 with 9 teams and Div 2 with 13, Parkside up. In 2025 Div 1 10 teams and Div 2 remaining. Therefore assuming no relegation during this time
Surely the league won't introduce a bye into both divisions.

I reckon if Albion won the flag they would go up. I doubt it's about being ready or competitive, but more about winning a flag, which they might do in Div 2, but won't do in Div 1 (in their first year up)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a rumour that western rams are having a meeting in the upcoming weeks to discuss moving across to the WRFL

Surely the league won't introduce a bye into both divisions.

I reckon if Albion won the flag they would go up. I doubt it's about being ready or competitive, but more about winning a flag, which they might do in Div 2, but won't do in Div 1 (in their first year up)
That's what I am hearing, 9 and 13.
They missed out by 2 points and if they ball had bounced differently, they would have probably won and would be going up.
An uneven Div 1 is ridiculous, this leaves each team with 2 byes, in addition to the wasted weekends the whole Div has a bye

That's what I am hearing, 9 and 13.
They missed out by 2 points and if they ball had bounced differently, they would have probably won and would be going up.
An uneven Div 1 is ridiculous, this leaves each team with 2 byes, in addition to the wasted weekends the whole Div has a bye
If the div2 clubs were not informed that 2 of the grand finalist were to be promoted then you can’t expect them to go up. They would need to be financially sound and recruiting heavily by now if they were knowingly going up.

If the div2 clubs were not informed that 2 of the grand finalist were to be promoted then you can’t expect them to go up. They would need to be financially sound and recruiting heavily by now if they were knowingly going up.
After DP and SA leaving, wasn't everyone informed promotion would be 2 sides, so only assumption would be both Div2 GF teams.

And didn't someone already post the by-laws, saying it's the leagues discretion anyway?

Share...

What was the proposal?
Read division 3 thread mate.

We believe there isn't enough people reaching out to the primary schools and AFL is losing market share with kids turning to other sports.

Clubs, the league and the AFL need to work together to open doors to kids via schools so the game is sustainable in the future. The game took a hit during covid, now it's time to plan a revival by influxing juniors so the competition is stronger in 10 years time, not 10 minutes time

Read some of my previous posts and let me know what you think. What's there is basically what I wrote.
I had a look through, if it's about school footy and the league/clubs etc establishing relationship with schools to help drive participation rates up.

So at a high level I agree with you, anything that drives participation rates up is a good thing.

But IMO there are plenty of barriers. Who's going to drive it, the 5 employees at the WRFL, the club volunteers, the 2 AFL Vic staff that are aligned to the West Metro area??? Resources are low, and to continually ask volunteers to carry the workload is what's got club into strife in the past, too much work for too few hands.

One of the major problems that I see is the Auskick program running in isolation from clubs for so long. Everything run by the AFL but with nothing going back to the community leagues.

I know a few clubs have now stepped in to run their Auskick programs, but there are still way too many independent Auskick centers out there, not aligned to clubs, not providing a clear pathway from Auskick to U8/9/10's.

So the idea is right, and the incentive is there, but making it happen is the problem.

I'd be interested to hear if you proposed any solutions to the league

Hearing 9 team division 1....

Are Albion and the league that weak as piss to allow it to happen?

I had a look through, if it's about school footy and the league/clubs etc establishing relationship with schools to help drive participation rates up.

So at a high level I agree with you, anything that drives participation rates up is a good thing.

But IMO there are plenty of barriers. Who's going to drive it, the 5 employees at the WRFL, the club volunteers, the 2 AFL Vic staff that are aligned to the West Metro area??? Resources are low, and to continually ask volunteers to carry the workload is what's got club into strife in the past, too much work for too few hands.

One of the major problems that I see is the Auskick program running in isolation from clubs for so long. Everything run by the AFL but with nothing going back to the community leagues.

I know a few clubs have now stepped in to run their Auskick programs, but there are still way too many independent Auskick centers out there, not aligned to clubs, not providing a clear pathway from Auskick to U8/9/10's.

So the idea is right, and the incentive is there, but making it happen is the problem.

I'd be interested to hear if you proposed any solutions to the league
Thanks Hank.

You, Squeak, and I are on the same page. That's three of us from the whole WRFL Big Footy Forum.

I guarantee that such an initiative will work once it has kicked off and will then continue to grow.

BUT somebody's got to do the hard yards and kick it off. I'm happy to contribute, however, if, as there appears to be so much ‘I don’t give a big rat’s arse’ and let ‘someone else’ do it then the WRFL will fall in a heap and schools will enjoy a soccer competition. There will be a shortage of juniors, fewer potential footballers and the WRFL will slide into being a note on a page.

If that is the attitude of the local football fraternity it appears they are all telling each other to do what the Ukranians told the Russians to do on Snake Island. It is time for Western clubs to stop disliking each other and work together to ensure that the competition has an established foundation.

I agree with everything in your post Hank. Your feelings are genuine but not insurmountable and will take some time – small steps. I have formulated an agenda that will be presented to the WRFL hierarchy (and clubs) should they be interested.

Having women as the majority of teachers in primary schools is not an encumbrance. They don’t need to be upfront with an AFL competition as there are a lot of Dads and Grandfathers who have children and grandchildren attending. In the Hobsons Bay competition, schools work with each other and grandfathers make up at least half of the coaching. It’s not a hard task but an enjoyable one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back