WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He just throws out random bombs. “I’ve heard” or “hearing” gets thrown out a lot by Turbo
Might want to do better here Grem. The div2 fixture has ultimately put a nail in the coffin of some clubs. If your smart you can read into this WRFL is going to be one 1 division by 2025-2026. But similar to Riddell league.
That div2 comp is a total mess and affects all clubs in the WRFL not just div2.

Who are the few stronger clubs looking at options for 2025. Where did you get this crap from.
Maybe ask around at a few clubs to find out what’s going on behind closed doors. Any club with good juniors and a future will look to move within the next year or 2.
CS, Yarraville, possibly Spotty. WD already on the way out you watch..

What’s happened to Hoppers? They stayed to long in this comp and dropped the ball.

Maybe ask around at a few clubs to find out what’s going on behind closed doors. Any club with good juniors and a future will look to move within the next year or 2.

What’s happened to Hoppers? They stayed to long in this comp and dropped the ball.
Moving is rarely the answer. WRFL div.1 could be as even as it’s been for a long time this season, the competition needs to consolidate and it can turn quickly. Last thing we need is only a few metro comps with 4 and 5 divs where the little clubs get neglected.

Moving is rarely the answer. WRFL div.1 could be as even as it’s been for a long time this season, the competition needs to consolidate and it can turn quickly. Last thing we need is only a few metro comps with 4 and 5 divs where the little clubs get neglected.
Thought div 1 last year was the closest it’s been for many years

Might want to do better here Grem. The div2 fixture has ultimately put a nail in the coffin of some clubs. If your smart you can read into this WRFL is going to be one 1 division by 2025-2026. But similar to Riddell league.
That div2 comp is a total mess and affects all clubs in the WRFL not just div2.

Div 2 may hurt a few clu8bs, but for the strength of the league tht may not be a bad thing.

Too many expansion clubs floating in the Old Div 3, not going anywhere, paying Div 2 reserves players good $$$ to play Div 3 wasn't a strength for the league, it ultimate stripped it of depth at every level.

The compressed two divisions might hurt a couple fo clubs, even force a couple to merge, but that doesn't automatically equal bad news for the league.

Then you talk about clubs with good juniors looking to move, but rattle off Spotty and WD, who while strong at the senior level, haven't been super strong, nor have massive numbers in the juniors in recent years.

So your arguments fall to pieces as soon as you actually apply a little substance to the convo.

Keep walking Turbo

A local primary school AFL competition would strengthen the Juniors and within a few years, local clubs will be rewarded by a sprinkling of U18/19s coming through. Just look at local Western suburbs' Clubs that have their neighbourhood primary schools competing in local competitions. Such clubs have been named before, none of which struggle for players. That's not to say that local juniors are stars, but playing locally brings families et al to games ......, from whence volunteers emanate. IT HAPPENS!

Take off the blinkers, get off your arses and approach your local primary schools!

'Someone else' is a big name amongst the WRFL fraternity.
TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF!

A local primary school AFL competition would strengthen the Juniors and within a few years, local clubs will be rewarded by a sprinkling of U18/19s coming through. Just look at local Western suburbs' Clubs that have their neighbourhood primary schools competing in local competitions. Such clubs have been named before, none of which struggle for players. That's not to say that local juniors are stars, but playing locally brings families et al to games ......, from whence volunteers emanate. IT HAPPENS!

Take off the blinkers, get off your arses and approach your local primary schools!

TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF!
I don't expect any ticks for this post.
WRFL, leave the hard jobs for 'Someone else'.

Div 2 may hurt a few clu8bs, but for the strength of the league tht may not be a bad thing.

Too many expansion clubs floating in the Old Div 3, not going anywhere, paying Div 2 reserves players good $$$ to play Div 3 wasn't a strength for the league, it ultimate stripped it of depth at every level.

The compressed two divisions might hurt a couple fo clubs, even force a couple to merge, but that doesn't automatically equal bad news for the league.

Then you talk about clubs with good juniors looking to move, but rattle off Spotty and WD, who while strong at the senior level, haven't been super strong, nor have massive numbers in the juniors in recent years.

So your arguments fall to pieces as soon as you actually apply a little substance to the convo.

Keep walking Turbo
I’m well aware of Spotty decline in the juniors mate. Hence I said they “might” be moving. It has been discussed as recruiting for WRFL is less attractive than other competitions. Yarraville juniors the place to go along with Willy juniors in that area.

Keep walking Turbo

Too many expansion clubs in the old D3 not going anywhere?

There was only 2 of 7 teams and one of them won the flag!!

Missing the mark there HH.

Too many expansion clubs in the old D3 not going anywhere?

There was only 2 of 7 teams and one of them won the flag!!

Missing the mark there HH.
Sorry I didn't mean the expansion team themselves where the problem, what I meant is, with the expansion teams in, it stretched the player depth too thin.

What I meant twas there are too many clubs in total, that the division was not going anywhere

TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF!
I love your passion here SeaSide, but given juniors start at U8's (7 year olds for some of them), what advantage does a school comp bring, all those kids bar the preps and yr 1's can already play club football, and for the young ones there is auskick.

Where are you going to plat these games?
Which additional volunteers are going to run it (given most people who volunteer would be doing it at club level)
What happens when the school league makes kids prioritise school footy over club footy (which happens now at the high school age), yet most of the coaches and development sit at club level?

Should the league and clubs be approaching primary schools, yes, but not for a school competition, but to join a local club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love your passion here SeaSide, but given juniors start at U8's (7 year olds for some of them), what advantage does a school comp bring, all those kids bar the preps and yr 1's can already play club football, and for the young ones there is auskick.

Where are you going to plat these games?
Which additional volunteers are going to run it (given most people who volunteer would be doing it at club level)
What happens when the school league makes kids prioritise school footy over club footy (which happens now at the high school age), yet most of the coaches and development sit at club level?

Should the league and clubs be approaching primary schools, yes, but not for a school competition, but to join a local club!
Thanks for your post HH. I’m just trying to knock some sense into some of our WRFL heads. I feel that all on this forum understand what I’m on about, but as I’ve posted before, if it doesn’t happen, the WRFL will wither and cease to exist with several clubs playing in neighbouring competitions. We can poach their players which costs, but they can poach back. I hope I’ve put some of your questions to bed.

Some posters are full of excuses, not valid reasons. If many areas of metropolitan Melbourne have it, then why not Wyndham and its surrounds? What is the problem? It wouldn’t be hard to organise!

Club juniors certainly do start at U8, but the school competition bit is having the Grades 5 + 6, introducing the 10-12 year olds to AFL, many of whom have only played cricket or soccer. Soccer players adapt almost immediately. If they like it they will join a club. If they haven’t had a taste, soccer will benefit.

The competition is primarily there for the schools’ PE, however with input from parents and (me) grandparents, it takes only 2 hours of people’s time on a Friday morning. Training sessions are (school) optional, but most have 45 minute sessions once weekly. Grandparents, uncles and aunts are abundant, and it’s social, both at school and games. Occasionally competing schools’ parents sit together as their children play in the same local club teams.

As an aside primary school volunteers aren’t generally fans of local clubs, but when their children play, then they are.

Primary schools in the Yarraville, Spotswood, Newport, Williamstown and Altona areas play mainly at local non-fenced footy grounds: -
Spotswood: 1 team
McIvor Reserve Yarraville: 3 teams
Bryan Martyn Oval Newport: 3 teams
Fearon Reserve Williamstown: 3 teams
Grant Reserve Altona: 3 teams
There are other parks used from time to time such as Newport and Williamstown Baseball pitches and Robertson Reserve in Willi.

The teams consist of the Grades 5 + 6, and primary school competition doesn’t compete with Auskick or club junior footy.

Primary schools’ and clubs’ football don’t overlap, but if it did, wouldn’t matter too much.

It’s interesting as players at two competing local schools often play together at their local clubs.

TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF!
I don’t even know what you’re trying to say here ???

Local clubs do get into the schools as much as they are allowed to.
You can’t walk into a school and demand to add anything in their curriculum

77, if you can't understand what I'm suggesting, go back to school and start from Grade 1. Then get your head out of the sand and look to the future of the WRFL.

Mr Roos77 (aka a kangaroo or ostrich with its head in the sand with blinkers on).

Please read my previous posts, and if you can’t work out what has been proposed, grow a brain and read them properly.

My concern is for the future of the WRFL and its clubs while endeavouring to promote AFL amongst non-believers aged between 10-12, a very good age to transition.

Some people would just walk into a school like bombastic self-aggrandizing parents, demanding etc etc… I certainly didn’t suggest that. That isn’t a good approach, and it never works. “Hasten slowly!”

AND, this proposal isn't altering the schools' curricula as it is part of their Friday morning PE (Physical Education).

77, if you can't understand what I'm suggesting, go back to school and start from Grade 1. Then get your head out of the sand and look to the future of the WRFL.

Mr Roos77 (aka a kangaroo or ostrich with its head in the sand with blinkers on).

Please read my previous posts, and if you can’t work out what has been proposed, grow a brain and read them properly.

My concern is for the future of the WRFL and its clubs while endeavouring to promote AFL amongst non-believers aged between 10-12, a very good age to transition.

Some people would just walk into a school like bombastic self-aggrandizing parents, demanding etc etc… I certainly didn’t suggest that. That isn’t a good approach, and it never works. “Hasten slowly!”

AND, this proposal isn't altering the schools' curricula as it is part of their Friday morning PE (Physical Education).
Seaside,, we all understand what you're suggesting and in theory it has merit... REAL LIFE REALITY, to do this requires a commitment and time from many volunteers. These same volunteers are already spending many hours(after working full time jobs) just keeping their clubs running , so it would be simply wrong to expect them to carry more load than what they already are ... So my old friend, how would this be resourced?

Seaside,, we all understand what you're suggesting and in theory it has merit... REAL LIFE REALITY, to do this requires a commitment and time from many volunteers. These same volunteers are already spending many hours(after working full time jobs) just keeping their clubs running , so it would be simply wrong to expect them to carry more load than what they already are ... So my old friend, how would this be resourced?

Thanks for that 50 Bangs. You are one of many on this forum who agree with me, but we need to put our feet on the ground, and time is short. I'm not suggesting overloaded parents. I certainly understand as I, probably like you have walked that road.

Local club personnel are never sighted at school games. Volunteers generally come from (some) parents, uncles, aunts and grandparents: grandpas coach most teams as they are mostly retired players who are happy to give something back, and they love it!

In the area where I hibernate, the school volunteers/helpers can be anybody who enjoys footy, and not necessarily family members. Once it starts, helpers come from everywhere. I've said previously that it's very social amongst the parents and helpers, sharing morning tea and helping each other, including the opposing school, many of whom know each other.

It happens throughout Metropolitan Melbourne; Wyndham?

Like you, many have concerns regarding a primary school competition, some with excuses, the intelligent with reasons.

I hope that by now after multiple posts regarding this subject, I’ve put all forum members' concerns to bed.

Cannot do it by myself. Should anybody be interested in helping to get it up and running, drop a short note on this forum and I’ll nominate a time and place to thrash it out. Coffee anyone?

Last edited:
Thanks for your post HH. I’m just trying to knock some sense into some of our WRFL heads. I feel that all on this forum understand what I’m on about, but as I’ve posted before, if it doesn’t happen, the WRFL will wither and cease to exist with several clubs playing in neighbouring competitions. We can poach their players which costs, but they can poach back. I hope I’ve put some of your questions to bed.

Some posters are full of excuses, not valid reasons. If many areas of metropolitan Melbourne have it, then why not Wyndham and its surrounds? What is the problem? It wouldn’t be hard to organise!

Club juniors certainly do start at U8, but the school competition bit is having the Grades 5 + 6, introducing the 10-12 year olds to AFL, many of whom have only played cricket or soccer. Soccer players adapt almost immediately. If they like it they will join a club. If they haven’t had a taste, soccer will benefit.

The competition is primarily there for the schools’ PE, however with input from parents and (me) grandparents, it takes only 2 hours of people’s time on a Friday morning. Training sessions are (school) optional, but most have 45 minute sessions once weekly. Grandparents, uncles and aunts are abundant, and it’s social, both at school and games. Occasionally competing schools’ parents sit together as their children play in the same local club teams.

As an aside primary school volunteers aren’t generally fans of local clubs, but when their children play, then they are.

Primary schools in the Yarraville, Spotswood, Newport, Williamstown and Altona areas play mainly at local non-fenced footy grounds: -
Spotswood: 1 team
McIvor Reserve Yarraville: 3 teams
Bryan Martyn Oval Newport: 3 teams
Fearon Reserve Williamstown: 3 teams
Grant Reserve Altona: 3 teams
There are other parks used from time to time such as Newport and Williamstown Baseball pitches and Robertson Reserve in Willi.

The teams consist of the Grades 5 + 6, and primary school competition doesn’t compete with Auskick or club junior footy.

Primary schools’ and clubs’ football don’t overlap, but if it did, wouldn’t matter too much.

It’s interesting as players at two competing local schools often play together at their local clubs.
Your spot on seaside I am from Hoppers Crossing and 20 years ago all the local primary schools played each other on a Friday afternoon
Now I walk my dog past Bellbridge PS and no footballs in sight all soccer being played.
Auskick has ruined afl in primary schools the AFL needs to wake up.

Your spot on seaside I am from Hoppers Crossing and 20 years ago all the local primary schools played each other on a Friday afternoon
Now I walk my dog past Bellbridge PS and no footballs in sight all soccer being played.
Auskick has ruined afl in primary schools the AFL needs to wake up.
School footy is played Friday mornings now

He signed at Balywn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dropped by Werribee South Oval on Saturday. St Joseph's (Geelong) and Werribee Districts playing: was interested as I had grandsons in both teams.
Nobody knew what the final scores were, but both teams' parents, grandparents, girlfriends et al agreed that there was less than a goal in the final result.
It was a good game, enjoyed by both players and spectators. An excellent blowout after 6 months off.

Dropped by Werribee South Oval on Saturday. St Joseph's (Geelong) and Werribee Districts playing: was interested as I had grandsons in both teams.
Nobody knew what the final scores were, but both teams' parents, grandparents, girlfriends et al agreed that there was less than a goal in the final result.
It was a good game, enjoyed by both players and spectators. An excellent blowout after 6 months off.
Thanks SS, hard work trying to get practice match scores and reviews.

Was down there recently with family getting fish and chips and at the playground next door. What a waste not to be using that ground more often, great surface, picturesque.

Was down there recently with family getting fish and chips and at the playground next door. What a waste not to be using that ground more often, great surface, picturesque.

South Werribee oval a bit like Willy, nice when the sun's out. Been there on a cold, wet and blowy day?

Werribee juniors using it most weeks now, as Soldiers is full, more so with junior girls and womens team at Werribee now.

South Werribee oval a bit like Willy, nice when the sun's out. Been there on a cold, wet and blowy day?

Werribee juniors using it most weeks now, as Soldiers is full, more so with junior girls and womens team at Werribee now.
I lived in Werribee for a while so yes ive spent a bit of time down there. Agree its cold and windy. Good to hear its being used

Remove this Banner Ad

Back